Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Las Vegas Buffets - the best, worst, and questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2002, 5:39 pm

You may want to check out the buffet rankings (and reviews) here:
http://www.ratelasvegas.com

As for my opinion, the Bellagio dinner buffet is disgusting (the food looks excellent, but the quality and taste was mediocre). I have always enjoyed the Paris breakfast buffet.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 6:28 pm

Had dinner at McCormick & Schmick the other evening, and it was excellent. They specialize in seafood, and I believe they are based out of the Bay area. Priced similar to an uppper level buffet, and much quieter atmosphere, coupled with great service.

Sorry I didn't notice what street, but it's just a bit off the strip next to CozyMel's.

JP
Old Apr 24, 2002, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I think that's on Flamingo by Terribles...

-nate
Old Apr 26, 2002, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Well, I knew I would be controversial.

Hedoman, I made a perfectly sincere point about comparing Bellagio and the Flamingo on a cost/value basis. It was clear that I expected disagreement.

However, whether or not you meant it to, your comment about Circus Circus did come across as kind of mean. Just because I think the Bellagio buffet is an overpriced and failed attempt to capitalize on the (more deserved) cachet of the rest of the hotel doesn't mean I'd be happy at the (so I'm told) bottom-of-the-barrel Circus Circus buffet. But to each his or her own . . .
Old May 1, 2002, 1:22 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
circus Circus NEEDS to be blown up................

Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
need more current comments

I am spending the holiday in Vegas and I am looking for the best buffet on the strip. During our last visit in June my husband insisted on MGM and I hated it. I promised hubby one buffet on this trip but want to make sure it is a good one. Is Bellagio still the best bet? We are staying at Aladdin. Should we give them a try?

Last edited by nub2travel; Nov 20, 2006 at 11:05 am
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by nub2travel
I am spending the holiday in Vegas and I am looking for the best buffet on the strip. During our last visit in June my husband insisted on MGM and I hated it. I promised hubby one buffet on this trip but want to make sure it is a good one. Is Bellagio still the best bet? We are staying at Aladdin. Should we give them a try?
My wife and I were in town 2 weeks ago and tried Mandalay Bay for dinner. It was okay without being impressive but I was disappointed with the deserts which reports said were superior. I did not think so.

Drove out to Texas Station for breakfast buffet. It was okay and they made me a lovely omelet.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:07 pm

I list the buffets on my website, but personally I would rank them in the following order:

First place is a tie - Paris and Wynn both have excellent buffets - neither is particularly cheap, but both offer a large selection of foods not normally found in the standard buffet. Plus, the dessert bars in both locations will tempt even Nicole Richie to pig out. Paris has a great decor - little side streets and other seating areas that look like little French bistros - ask to sit in a room when you speak to the hostess. Wynn is also very nicely designed.

Next would be Bellagio - their food selection is excellent, but their tables and booths are too cramped and getting to and from the buffet can be tricky with a lot of people in the narrow walkways. But purely from food and selection standpoint, they are as good as Paris and Wynn.

There are a few other places that I go into detail - but those are the top three in town and I suggest trying at least one of them while you are here - but make sure you are hungry to get your money's worth, and also make sure you don't have to walk far in a hurry after you are finished.

Some places to avoid: Generally, you get what you pay for so if the lunch is $4.99, it ain't gonna be special. MGM and Caesars aren't cheap, but have pretty horrible buffets. Considering both locations are full of exclusive restaurants, you would think they would at least put some effort into their buffets. That said, you can always find something for breakfast no matter where you go - most places have a station where they make omelettes to order and there is the usual breakfast rolls, etc. But for lunch and dinner, I would pay the higher price and go with one of the top places and get my money's worth.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QuietLion
Forgot to mention the Bally's Sterling Brunch on Sundays. Last I checked it cost about $50. Superb.
It is now $65.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Generally, I avoid the Strip but Harrah’s is a favorite of mine.

Reasonable cost, good quality and the semi-circle layout is such that you don’t really stand in a mouse maze.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:23 pm

Not to be a pain in the rear but "best" is so subjective since everyone puts different weights on different factors. We're trying to limit ourselves to one or two buffets on our trip too and are trying to determine what buffets we'd be most interested in. We're trying to take into account the following in our decision but it's tough to find objective info.
Price/Value - Since we already get stuffed eating $20CDN worth of sushi or dim sum ordering everything we want. We'd only get limited value spending over $30USD for a buffet so everything else had better be flippin' good. You can find fairly recent prices on a few sites.
Variety - We typically only go to buffets for the variety. However, somewhat "exotic" buffet items like venison don't interest us. (We're kind of scared off by the Bellagio.) It's kind of tough to find info on what different buffets typically have. Plus some buffets have different specialty nights and might not serve certain items for breakfast versus lunch versus dinner.
Quality of Food and Service - Finding objective comments about quality is pretty tough since reviewers may run into uncommon situations or might be have unrealistic expectations. We're trying find places with "live action" stations because we figure at least some of the food is going to be pretty fresh instead just sitting there.

We've narrowed our possible list to the following:
Paris - Read consistently good reviews. We ate there for dinner six years back and enjoyed it. The French theme is kind of appealing to us.
Wynn - Read some really good reviews but am a bit concerned because I've also read it's gone down in value particularly since it's so expensive to begin with.
Mirage - Read good reviews after their renovation. Las Vegas Advisor has it on their top 10 values list. Not as big of a selection but lots of live action stations.
Aladdin - This was our favourite buffet on another previous trip. It was previously listed on LVA's top 10 list but dropped out after it moved to a temporary location for renovations. I read that it moved back downstairs recently but I haven't been able get decent info about whether the quality is back up to snuff.
Main Street Station - Read consistently good reviews. Relatively cheap compared to other buffets. Has a handful of live action stations. This one's no on the strip though.
Rio - Just because it's regularly on the LVRJ's best of list. I enjoyed it on a previous trip. This one's also not on the strip.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Desserts

The desserts at Bellagio is still the best IMO even though their overall buffet has deteriorated. Wynn's desserts do not even compare.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Aladdin used to have a great buffet..good variety and quality for the price. haven't been there recently though.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
You're probably well aware of this already - try to get a pass from the pit boss, when you are playing, to avoid a lengthy wait. In general I think you are better off eating earlier, with the food fresher, presented well, and staff still being there to help.

Have you used Google in the FT search to find some of the other threads on buffets? I guess you've covered it prety well with the LVA rankings. In your situation, I'd be tempted to try Wynn.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Jay71 wrote"Main Street Station - Read consistently good reviews. Relatively cheap compared to other buffets. Has a handful of live action stations. This one's no on the strip though.
Rio - Just because it's regularly on the LVRJ's best of list. I enjoyed it on a previous trip. This one's also not on the strip."
Main Street Station is-ok-not great,althought I do like the hawaian and orintal stations there.
Unless the Rio has done a major improvement I would not think of going to either buffet here ever again.
The Sushi/dim sum are not great at any of the buffets-better to save space for better Items.
My favorites are still; 1)Wynn I love the prime rib,the huge crablegs,the fantastic fish dishes,and the desserts(a little different as they have regular sized portions of desserts rather than little ones)and yes it is the most expensive on the strip-except for the gourmet sunday brunches-but I really can get a good meal here.
2)Bellagio-but it is not as good as it used to be.3)Alladin just love the different stations.4)red rock- some really good stuff here(try the Ice cream for sure)and very sweet service.5)Paris-not as good as it used to be-and the lines can be really crazy even with the beepers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.