FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/)
-   -   Consolidated "Las Vegas Buffets - the best, worst, and questions" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas/283821-consolidated-las-vegas-buffets-best-worst-questions-thread.html)

Berki Apr 13, 2002 2:20 am

Consolidated "Las Vegas Buffets - the best, worst, and questions" thread

Hi everybody,

since my preferred buffet, the "Carnival" at the Rio hotel is getting worse and worser, I would gather your opinions what's the best buffet now in Vegas.

Thanks,
Berki.

Marysunshine Apr 13, 2002 4:13 am

I love buffets, but they have to be good. The one at the rio starting going downhill a long time ago. One great buffet is the Bellagio. Another, is the Mandalay Bay. In fact I was surprised that it was so good. Those are two of the best. Now if you will settle for some quality without as much quantity, Mirage is still quite good and the Golden Nugget downtown still has a good buffet. Those are my personal favorites.

warmsnickers Apr 13, 2002 10:50 am

I haven't been for a while, but I liked the lunch buffet at Paris. I recall large quantities of cheese & shrimp and some amazing desserts . . .

j379pa Apr 13, 2002 11:08 am

Paris--I did breakfast there--gets my vote!

JP

gpapadop Apr 13, 2002 11:25 am

Bellagio (in taste)
Alladin (in variety)

RichG Apr 14, 2002 1:46 am

A tie between the Mirage, and the "Big Kitchen" buffet at Bally's.

hedoman Apr 14, 2002 3:54 pm

Tried Paris two weeks ago for lunch because of the favorable reviews printed on a previous thread. It would have been fine had I paid 1/2 price, like most standing in line.

Bellagio is the best. And I agree that the Golden Nugget is very good.

jiggs Apr 14, 2002 4:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hedoman:
Tried Paris two weeks ago for lunch because of the favorable reviews printed on a previous thread. It would have been fine had I paid 1/2 price, like most standing in line.

Bellagio is the best. And I agree that the Golden Nugget is very good.
</font>
what do you mean when you say...1/2 price like most

QuietLion Apr 15, 2002 8:50 pm

If you like carbohydrates, Paris is great for breakfast. Their dinner selections are all overdone meat with heavy sauces.

Bellagio is head and shoulders above the rest. If you sign up for their slot club and play the dollar slots for a while you can get two free buffets.

I didn't care for Mandalay Bay's buffet but Aladdin is very nice.

But there are so many wonderful reastaurants in Vegas, consider dining instead. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

hedoman Apr 15, 2002 11:00 pm

Hilton has a coupon book with discounts at the Park Place locations. Two for one Paris buffet is in the book. Hotel guests get the book.

And now that I think about it, the Bellagio buffet is so much more civilized than any other in town. They are always happy to put me at a table away from the crowd.

SpuddBrother Apr 16, 2002 8:14 pm

The Sunday buffet at Mandalay is very good.

The seafood buffet at Rio is great too.

Bally's is always a winner.

Palladium Buffet at Caesar's is tasty.

chazas Apr 17, 2002 2:25 pm

I expect my opinion will be controversial . . .

Based on a recent visit, while the food at Bellagio was much more varied and ambitious than other buffets we tried, I thought it was an overall loser. First, it's exorbitantly expensive ($31.95, as I recall, for a weekend night). Second, the line took over an hour and a half - nothing is worth that kind of wait. Third, the staff were disorganized, rude and ill trained. Fourth, the room was not that nice - it reminded me too much of a windowless Luby's cafeteria from my childhood. Fifth, the very ambition of the food was its downfall - not much of it, in my view, was very successful in the volume it was being prepared and served.

On the other hand, I really LIKED the Flamingo buffet, on a cost/value scale. At about half the cost of Bellagio for dinner, the fare was simpler, but better. On comparable "signature" buffet items, the king crab legs and shrimp, Flamingo had a leg up on Bellagio - they were more flavorful and less watery. Service was immeasurably better. The wait was much, much shorter - about 10 minutes. The room was prettier - instead of a warehouse feel, you're in a tiered multi-area space with a floor to ceiling window fronting a waterfall and fishpond.

hedoman Apr 17, 2002 5:53 pm

Controversial......not really. That is the beauty of Vegas buffets. There really is something for everyone. Circus Circus might be of interest on your next visit.

gsw Apr 17, 2002 8:30 pm

My last Vegas stay was at the GN downtown. I was impressed with the buffet, both in terms of quality and price. For my money, it's one of the best deals around. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

QuietLion Apr 17, 2002 11:34 pm

Forgot to mention the Bally's Sterling Brunch on Sundays. Last I checked it cost about $50. Superb.