Wiki Posts
Search

Menu question (first class)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Menu question (first class)

I have a couple Korean Air flights coming up, JFK-ICN-SYD in first class. I've heard a lot abbout the bibimbap (a lot if it good, but several reports that it is underwhelming). I haven't found nearly as much written about their Western options - steak, fish and the like. Are there any recent experiences folks can report on in this regard? It would be nice not to have to eat bibimbap too many times on this trip!

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:33 pm

Personally, i think the bibimbab for KE on biz/first are overrated.
It is ok for Economy but it is really lacking for the premier classes.
Pretty much the same as in Economy with just a couple more side dishes and better presentation.
Not worth taking when there are so much better bibimbab options on the ground.

The beef dishes are usually really good.
The FAs will heat up the steak according to how u like the beef (medium etc) and they usually do a good job.
KE has their own beef ranch on jeju island too.

Tried a fish dish once in Biz and that wasnt so good.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
KE's first class food all comes from a special farm on Jeju as the other person said. BUT bibimbap is fine and delicious, but it's certainly a tiny portion. I eat when I'm coming back to Korea to get myself ready :-) and I've been eating delicious but greasy american food for weeks haha.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:44 am

I have to disagree with the bibimbab being the same as economy, etc.

I do think the one in Y is miles better than any airline food I usually eat. The one in J is much more refined with actual big chunks of vegetable, meat, etc. and the soup is heavenly.

In F it's basically more food, sides, and more refined. I'd recommend taking the bibimbab out of JKF, and a Korean speciality (non-bibimbab) out of ICN.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Miles and More, Flying Blue, AA Advantage
I have never flown KE in F, but I can assure that the bibimbab and the ramen in J are very different from those served in Y. This being said, I'd love to hear from those who travel with KE more often than me whether they find KE J menus rather repetitive, heavy and possibly dull -- I think they got locked in the same Korean dishes + steak (fine meat, cooking skills may vary) + fish in heavy sauce since several years, but I don't want to be unfair to them and would love to hear from others.
t_cliff likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by Tottoru
I have never flown KE in F, but I can assure that the bibimbab and the ramen in J are very different from those served in Y. This being said, I'd love to hear from those who travel with KE more often than me whether they find KE J menus rather repetitive, heavy and possibly dull -- I think they got locked in the same Korean dishes + steak (fine meat, cooking skills may vary) + fish in heavy sauce since several years, but I don't want to be unfair to them and would love to hear from others.
KE J food is ok. Nothing spectacular or keep you wanting to try more though. It does get bored quick. I have been avoiding the bibimbap on KE as it is really nothing special.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Jeju farm or not, the F steak was just ok. The potato it came with was inedible. If they somehow engineered powdered mash potato to be a solid form, this would be it.
The F lounge food was pretty good. The steak there, was great, as with the truffle mashed potatoes.
But service was great.
Also whenever someone else makes you ramen, it tastes about 10x better (scientific fact*)
All in all better than BR
*fake news
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks,

Thanks for the suggestions and different takes! I'll probably end up going with the bibimbap and whatever other Korean options there are on the flights, and try to catch a good steak on the ground in the new first class lounge in between. Looking forward to reporting back!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:13 am

Have you had bibimbab at a local korean restaurant? It is without a doubt a lot better than the ones served on board.
If you fear of missing out, go with the western options and have proper bibimbab in a real restaurant.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Have you had bibimbab at a local korean restaurant? It is without a doubt a lot better than the ones served on board.
If you fear of missing out, go with the western options and have proper bibimbab in a real restaurant.
I find the Bibimbab served on board absolutely delicious.

And I’ve eaten all kinds of bibimbabs on ground in Korea too.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by benji2227

I find the Bibimbab served on board absolutely delicious.

And I’ve eaten all kinds of bibimbabs on ground in Korea too.
I am curious, what exactly about on board bibimbab that is absolutely delicious?
I don’t mean anything by that, just want to know where you are coming from. Do you think all bibimbabs are delicious or the one from the plane is better than on the ground.
slimjin likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

On a different note, does anyone know if it is possible to find out what the menu for Korean Air flights is in advance - even just a week or two? Will customer service help with this?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Miles and More, Flying Blue, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
On a different note, does anyone know if it is possible to find out what the menu for Korean Air flights is in advance - even just a week or two? Will customer service help with this?
Not sure if customer service will help, but, jokes aside, KE menus change very little, so if you can find online a menu for the route you will fly, you have a good idea of what awaits you.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

I am curious, what exactly about on board bibimbab that is absolutely delicious?
I don’t mean anything by that, just want to know where you are coming from. Do you think all bibimbabs are delicious or the one from the plane is better than on the ground.
Not saying that it's better or worse than the ones on the ground. I wasn't clear in my post, sorry.

When in Korea, I eat bimimbab on ground alot because I enjoy the dish. Some are excellent, some are very average. The one served on board has a different feel, which I very much like.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Bibimbap isn't something you really crave or eat everyday honestly.

But on Korean Air it serves two purposes - 1) for foreigners to get a taste of Korean food on their flight to Korea and get the "full experience" 2) for Koreans to get their taste of home on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.