Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

New ICN terminal and Korean Air lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ICN terminal and Korean Air lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
They are some distance apart. While there is a train and also a bus between terminals, you won't get airside (where all the lounges are) without a boarding pass from the relevant terminal.
I understand, thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:51 pm

October 2018 ~ Incheon Airport, Terminal 2

+ This was my experience as a non-transit passenger beginning my day at Incheon Airport. My final destination was Los Angeles, California.

+ Prior to check-in, I located a helpfully-placed (complimentary) baggage trolley station at curbside, an (enclosed) outdoor smoking lounge, and a free wi-fi signal; all within moments of arrival. Impressions were positive.

+ Check-in area was spacious and relaxed ~ ticket counters were well-staffed; check-in queues were nil. The departure gates were occupied by several A380’s, 777’s, A330’s, and the lone Aeroméxico 787 ~ one might think the passenger loads are near-empty because it was so quiet at the check-in area; however, I’m inclined to believe there were more transit passengers that evening because even the security checkpoints were quiet.

+ Security staff was friendly and efficient. The process took < 5 minutes; compared to previous experiences at roughly 10 ~ 12 minutes. Elite/Status/Priority lanes do not exist and that says something!

+ The airside concessions at Terminal 2 easily meet/exceed any international airport departure terminal in the U.S.A. ~ Korean Beauty Skin Care Shop, Duty Free Cigarettes at ~ $25/carton (YES, per carton!), Korean Cultural Experience Center, Video Games Arcade, relaxation areas, smoking lounges, art installations, dining for all ages, convenient stores, etc.,

+ If your goal is to NOT hoard the lounge amenities because it’s “free,” then please kindly follow along as I share how Korean Air has improved the lounge experience at Terminal 2 (compared to 50+ visits to the Main Terminal and Satellite Terminal KAL Lounges) in the following ways:

- expanded << Western >> menu options,
- expanded << Korean >> buffet items,
- “Quiet Environment” KAL Lounges thanks to lounge agent “discretion” + additional lounge access conditions/restrictions policy,
- Fewer seating = privacy/exclusivity/quieter experience, reduced capacity/greater comfort,
- Softer LED Lighting/Modern Design/Privacy “Suites”/Loungers+Ottomans for improved relaxation.

+ Baggage Claim is an uneventful affair apart from the helpful << AirStar >> robot to assist you with passenger assistance, airport-related queries, selfie-taking, and a friendly “wink” to send you on your way!

+ Beyond the Customs Declaration checkpoint, is the public area a.k.a. “Landside.” You will find currency exchange desks, SIM rental for your mobile phone, portable wi-fi device rental, ATM, 7-eleven, meeting point, access to public transportation services, additional outdoor smoking lounges, bus connections to Terminal 1, restaurants, complimentary day/half-day/quarter day tours for transit passengers interested in visiting Incheon/Seoul/Gangnam/Dongdaemun/Namsan/etc.,

~ I hope I was helpful explaining my experience as an arriving and departing passenger at Incheon Airport. Please kindly message me should you require additional assistance. =]
Wangja and mikesaidyes like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by AirAfreak
October 2018 ~ Incheon Airport, Terminal 2

+ This was my experience as a non-transit passenger beginning my day at Incheon Airport. My final destination was Los Angeles, California.

+ Prior to check-in, I located a helpfully-placed (complimentary) baggage trolley station at curbside, an (enclosed) outdoor smoking lounge, and a free wi-fi signal; all within moments of arrival. Impressions were positive.

+ Check-in area was spacious and relaxed ~ ticket counters were well-staffed; check-in queues were nil. The departure gates were occupied by several A380’s, 777’s, A330’s, and the lone Aeroméxico 787 ~ one might think the passenger loads are near-empty because it was so quiet at the check-in area; however, I’m inclined to believe there were more transit passengers that evening because even the security checkpoints were quiet.

+ Security staff was friendly and efficient. The process took < 5 minutes; compared to previous experiences at roughly 10 ~ 12 minutes. Elite/Status/Priority lanes do not exist and that says something!

+ The airside concessions at Terminal 2 easily meet/exceed any international airport departure terminal in the U.S.A. ~ Korean Beauty Skin Care Shop, Duty Free Cigarettes at ~ $25/carton (YES, per carton!), Korean Cultural Experience Center, Video Games Arcade, relaxation areas, smoking lounges, art installations, dining for all ages, convenient stores, etc.,

+ If your goal is to NOT hoard the lounge amenities because it’s “free,” then please kindly follow along as I share how Korean Air has improved the lounge experience at Terminal 2 (compared to 50+ visits to the Main Terminal and Satellite Terminal KAL Lounges) in the following ways:

- expanded << Western >> menu options,
- expanded << Korean >> buffet items,
- “Quiet Environment” KAL Lounges thanks to lounge agent “discretion” + additional lounge access conditions/restrictions policy,
- Fewer seating = privacy/exclusivity/quieter experience, reduced capacity/greater comfort,
- Softer LED Lighting/Modern Design/Privacy “Suites”/Loungers+Ottomans for improved relaxation.

+ Baggage Claim is an uneventful affair apart from the helpful << AirStar >> robot to assist you with passenger assistance, airport-related queries, selfie-taking, and a friendly “wink” to send you on your way!

+ Beyond the Customs Declaration checkpoint, is the public area a.k.a. “Landside.” You will find currency exchange desks, SIM rental for your mobile phone, portable wi-fi device rental, ATM, 7-eleven, meeting point, access to public transportation services, additional outdoor smoking lounges, bus connections to Terminal 1, restaurants, complimentary day/half-day/quarter day tours for transit passengers interested in visiting Incheon/Seoul/Gangnam/Dongdaemun/Namsan/etc.,

~ I hope I was helpful explaining my experience as an arriving and departing passenger at Incheon Airport. Please kindly message me should you require additional assistance. =]
In case anybody looking for the AJ (Avis) rental car counter, it is at the far left side on level B1 as you exit from baggage claim (elevator down to B1, then take automatic walkway out toward bus waiting area, turn left and walk toward the side exit, pass the information counter and bus waiting area). It is on the opposite side of the AJ Parking, an airport parking garage. From the map link of the airport, Lotte (Hertz) car rental is next to AJ car rental.

Nobody in the airport knew where rental car counter was, including the information counters, when I asked on a previous trip. Kiosk map search was a joke. After some prolonged lost in B1, wandered into AJ Parking and finally somebody knew (after yet another round of asking around by the staffs at the AJ Parking office).

https://www.airport.kr/ap/en/map/mapInfo.do#
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:48 pm

I find most everything about Korean Airlines to be fully acceptable. My only issue is the Prestige Lounges. When my wife and I entered the Prestige lounge in JFK it was almost empty. The lounge and facilities were fine. However, after about a half hour or so every seat was taken and it looked like a bus station. Noticed on the A380 upper deck that it was less than half full. So, most of those people in the JFK lounge were not flying in business class. Also in the Prestige lounge Terminal 2 ICN we couldn't even get a seat until a couple of people left. The lounge was packed and the noise level was worse than the outside terminal. After a few minutes we left and sat in the terminal just to get some peace and quiet. I cannot believe that all of those people were flying business class. But, maybe they were and I guess Korean needs to get more lounges, larger lounges, or restrict the lounges to people flying business class only.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by floridastorm
I find most everything about Korean Airlines to be fully acceptable. My only issue is the Prestige Lounges. When my wife and I entered the Prestige lounge in JFK it was almost empty. The lounge and facilities were fine. However, after about a half hour or so every seat was taken and it looked like a bus station. Noticed on the A380 upper deck that it was less than half full. So, most of those people in the JFK lounge were not flying in business class. Also in the Prestige lounge Terminal 2 ICN we couldn't even get a seat until a couple of people left. The lounge was packed and the noise level was worse than the outside terminal. After a few minutes we left and sat in the terminal just to get some peace and quiet. I cannot believe that all of those people were flying business class. But, maybe they were and I guess Korean needs to get more lounges, larger lounges, or restrict the lounges to people flying business class only.
I flew KE in the main cabin recently, being PM on Delta (so, Skyteam Elite Plus) and was granted access to the Prestige lounges at ICN. Presumably that contributes to the congestion you experienced.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I flew KE in the main cabin recently, being PM on Delta (so, Skyteam Elite Plus) and was granted access to the Prestige lounges at ICN. Presumably that contributes to the congestion you experienced.
Ditto, though did they make you fish our your PM card? They did for me (at both lounges). Found this odd.

Here's a question: why is so much of the food in the Prestige lounge Chinese and not Korean? Sweet and sour pork etc.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Ditto, though did they make you fish our your PM card? They did for me (at both lounges). Found this odd.
They did not, but I credited the flight to Skymiles, so they had my status on file as STE+ already. Maybe that explains it. It was a zero-friction check-in at the lounge, I showed them my boarding pass and the super friendly and smiling agent waved us in.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver

Here's a question: why is so much of the food in the Prestige lounge Chinese and not Korean? Sweet and sour pork etc.
Sweet and sour pork in Korea is one of those dishes that people will expect to see at a buffet here, and besides, it's been extensively incorporated into the local culture. The same could be said for other Chinese or pseudo-Chinese dishes like chop suey(잡채) or jhajiangmien(짜장면).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by corbomite
Sweet and sour pork in Korea is one of those dishes that people will expect to see at a buffet here, and besides, it's been extensively incorporated into the local culture. The same could be said for other Chinese or pseudo-Chinese dishes like chop suey(잡채) or jhajiangmien(짜장면).
I think ja jiang myun (and jam pong) for that matter are more fully Korean, but....YMMV!
pokeable likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I think ja jiang myun (and jam pong) for that matter are more fully Korean, but....YMMV!
my dad says he tastes the difference between full Korean and Chinese/Korean jamp pong. I think he is full of it.

Ja Jiang may have Chinese origins but it is definitely a Korean dish imho. Had two bowls this trip.
koreanair720 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Skypass, IHG
KE has dropped Priority Pass access to T2 Prestige Lounge now. It is probably the reason of it being less crowded lately and better food.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Made my first visit to the new lounge. West one. Big. Lots of seats. I arrived way early from my house just to enjoy. Arrived at like 2:30-3ish. Empty. As I was leaving around 5ish, SLAM FULL presumably with all the KE evening flights and Delta action, too.

Food was fine IMO, but I’m used to eating Korean buffets haha. The sandwiches were actually good - but again maybe I’ve just been in Korea too long. Nothing really I hated.

Oh one thing I hated - the ajosshis that hogged the massage chairs in the Relaxation room. For like an hour. All 3 of them.

FYI - if you smoke. From west lounge it’s a LONG walk to Gate 247 public smoking area where she told me to go: East lounge would be way easier for that.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:42 am

Is there separation between the F and business lounges? Do they offer XO (the LAX one offers Remy Martin XO after 6 pm)?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:44 pm

There is a separate lounge for F
Old May 6, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
FYI - saw on the website today - Concourse lounge closes June 1 this year. Perhaps that's when China Eastern and Vietnam will move over to T2, too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.