Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
I'm flying out of AMS in 3 days, non-schengen flights, does Sky Priority can save me for not doing 4hours queue for security?

And historically, do the queue starts outside for the check-in counters (Departures 3)?
Wat airline are you flying? Saudia to JED seems to be the only Skyteam flight for June 2 leaving from Departures 3. They should have a seperate priority check-in desk with corresponding seperate queue. But keep in mind, checkin for most airlines, except for KL/AF/DL, starts 3 hours prior to departure. You won't win anything by coming to the airport before that.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue silver
I'm flying out of AMS in 3 days, non-schengen flights, does Sky Priority can save me for not doing 4hours queue for security?

And historically, do the queue starts outside for the check-in counters (Departures 3)?

Thanks for the help!
As Johan said: no Sky Priority zone in terminal 3. So which airline are you flying with from terminal 3 that may offer Sky Priority?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
I flew in yesterday in business class from CUR with KL and had a connection (actually a broken one but thought the KL lounge desk would better than going airside.)

E gate arrival. NO priority (roped closed, only used for wheelchairs etc..)

4 lanes open, two for quick connections. Was not given that line (half of the queue) and was sent to the regular line. Took 1h30 to get through from doors open to KL lounge.

Was this a mistake? Is there really no fast track operating??

I have Privium Plus and Top Tier with OW and * A. Haven’t traveled outbound in this most recent chaos - should I expect eco treatment or does priority still exist?
Old May 30, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
FYI ; from train to lounge took less then 20 min today ; at 11h 15 am Schengen, Privium and SP. seems to really depends on time ( 06-12noon being most busy) Had like 1h45 minutes to spend at the klm schengen lounge which was normally busy . flight left like 10 min late .No checked bagage
Old May 30, 2022, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by tourguide
If you have sky priority, please go to the SP check in area, even if you don't have luggage to check. From the SP area, you can go in line for security, separately from the (very long) security line for all other pax. To reach check in desks is not the problem at SPL at the moment. The problem is the line for security control. So, make your way to row 9, go in there without stopping at a desk (no luggage to drop, boarding pass in hand, right?) and join the SP line for security

Thanks, only silver so no Sky Priority. Any thoughts on any “short cuts” for economy travel with no checked bags. AMS-YUL.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dutch government has demanded weekly sitreps from Schiphol. I bet that's going to solve all problems overnight.

The airport blames labor shortages and more staff than usual calling in sick. The labor market is by all accounts tight in Holland, but where else in the country do customers stand in line for hours? Train stations? Ferry terminals? Supermarket checkouts? Movie theaters? Fast food joints?

Johan
Old May 30, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Thanks, only silver so no Sky Priority. Any thoughts on any “short cuts” for economy travel with no checked bags. AMS-YUL.
The only shortcut you will have is that you can go directly in line for security... If you have a bp already. Really depends on the moment, last Thursday it took me 3 minutes passing security. That was with SP but even the normal line was completely empty.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by tourguide
As Johan said: no Sky Priority zone in terminal 3. So which airline are you flying with from terminal 3 that may offer Sky Priority?
Saudia as a previous comments

So now my question is if their is a Fast Track/Sky Priority around Departures 3 or should i go around KLM Sky Priority zone?
Old May 30, 2022, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The labor market is by all accounts tight in Holland, but where else in the country do customers stand in line for hours? Train stations? Ferry terminals? Supermarket checkouts? Movie theaters? Fast food joints?
Where else in the country do people need to pass security checkpoints at this scale though
irishguy28 and hhdl like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The Dutch government has demanded weekly sitreps from Schiphol. I bet that's going to solve all problems overnight.

The airport blames labor shortages and more staff than usual calling in sick. The labor market is by all accounts tight in Holland, but where else in the country do customers stand in line for hours? Train stations? Ferry terminals? Supermarket checkouts? Movie theaters? Fast food joints?

Johan
It’s The Netherlands. “Holland” is one of 2 provinces, North (Noord) Holland and South (Zuid) Holland.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:05 am

So now my question is if their is a Fast Track/Sky Priority around Departures 3 or should i go around KLM Sky Priority zone?
You will need to check in and drop your bags at the Saudia desk. They should have a priority check-in desk and corresponding queue. After you have dropped your bags and have a boarding pass, it should have SkyPriority printed on it. Under normal circumstances, you would then walk over to the security filter at departures 3, where you have access to the priority lane. I haven't been through the departures 3 security filter for years now, but AFAIK there is a clearly marked priority lane.

You may also walk over to departures 2 and should be able to use the KLM SkyPriority entrance there. You can even use the Priority lane at departures 1 (Schengen only side of the airport) and then clear exit immigrations at the seperate immigrations area in between the Schengen and non-Schengen area's.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
You do not have Sky Priority, that is correct. But as a SkyTeam Elite passenger, you are welcome in the SkyPriority checkin area (checkin rows 9-10), which also serves as priority checkin for Elite/Silver passengers. And because of the layout of the airport with a seperate escalator up to security from that area, you are also be able to use priority security at AMS as a bonus feature.

Keep in mind: this is only the case for non-schengen flights on KL, AF or DL.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
It’s The Netherlands. “Holland” is one of 2 provinces, North (Noord) Holland and South (Zuid) Holland.
Holland is exactly half as many letters , everybody gets it, and only the pedantic get upset. So I'll continue using it, just as I'll keep saying Turkey, whether Erdogan likes it or not.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I've lived in both provinces, I've looked at them from above 1,000+ times, and somewhere I have an Atheneum diploma with an excellent grade for geography (my written exam essay was on the history of air navigation in Holland). I figure I've got Holland down pat, but just to keep myself sharp, I spend my time during AMS approaches and departures putting names to cities, towns, villages, lakes, rivers, canals, freeways, etc. My idea of fun.

Johan
Old May 31, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold

We're on the same flight
I'm planning to just fast track through departures 3 myself.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:37 am

I was unlucky to arrive yesterday when an incident happened on one of the runways and reduced capacity. When we landed and docked at D4X gate (ex-DUB), captain told us that there is no security personnel from Schiphol that can "unlock" the right doors (D-pier is dual, schengen/extra-schengen) so that we can exit and that took some time... Crew was quite good and informative though (esp. the captain).

I saw that the connection line to Schengen was not that long (or at least not that dramatic as in the past). I exited to the city: no e-gates and 4 booths open for all passports and a separate for EU ones that moved quite fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.