Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where in the world am I? | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Digicola
Clearly some unknown characters of some sort, hieroglyphs maybe?
Yes and a KLM destination too:

Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:12 am

Is it BLL perhaps?

(It's not as easy to read as that last one that had the airport name in it).

Ok well the lego thing is a bit more obvious.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Is it BLL perhaps?

(It's not as easy to read as that last one that had the airport name in it).

Ok well the lego thing is a bit more obvious.
Yes indeed, Billund it is! Will have to double triple check next time
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:33 pm

Great. Having stolen that from MichielR who never actually mentioned the name, here's my next attempt at perplexing you:

This is a frame from a time-lapse I made out the window, strategically chosen to hide the government planes in the background that would have made it a dead giveaway.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:31 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Is it PEK?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:29 am

It is not Beijing.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:25 am

This one is difficult, even if the airport looks very familiar. It seems very organized and the radar tower separate from the control tower could also provide a clue, except that I don't see it.

The hint of government planes doesn't make it much more specific (except ruling out some countries) & the plane that is visible looks like an old Ilyushin but could equally be an A320.

iIt really could be Asia, Africa, Middle East or Europe...
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
My impression is somewhere in China or region (due to what looks like chinese characters on one of the buildings). Looking at the map for some potential airports doesn't really show me a similar layout though. Not an easy one!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Great. Having stolen that from MichielR who never actually mentioned the name, here's my next attempt at perplexing you:

This is a frame from a time-lapse I made out the window, strategically chosen to hide the government planes in the background that would have made it a dead giveaway.
could it be HND or Itami airport (ITM)?

Last edited by offvoice; Jan 24, 2022 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
My impression is somewhere in China or region (due to what looks like chinese characters on one of the buildings). Looking at the map for some potential airports doesn't really show me a similar layout though. Not an easy one!
Agree. Chinese characters and Asian atmosphere. Came up with PEK since I recalled opposite T2 where KL and AF are you have these oil tanks - but there are 12 there according to Google maps. Too many airports in Japan, Korea, China to be checked :-(
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by offvoice
could it be HND or Itami airport (ITM)?
The HND fuel farm is right next to Tokyo bay so that's not it. As for ITM, that's surrounded by Osaka & I can see just a few buildings in the background on the photo.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
The HND fuel farm is right next to Tokyo bay so that's not it. As for ITM, that's surrounded by Osaka & I can see just a few buildings in the background on the photo.
Indeed, can't see how it can be HND, ITM. I also ruled out Narita, Taiwan, Korea, CAN, SHA, PVG. And on closer look, the so-called Chinese characters just could be some ventilation air inlets ;-). The government jets should be the clue....
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
the plane that is visible looks like an old Ilyushin but could equally be an A320.
To my knowledge there are no Ilyushins parked at this airport at all, and certainly not within view.

Someone came close but not quite there yet.

Oh and those are indeed characters on the side of the building. Good catch I hadn't noticed those myself.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jan 24, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
There seem to be quite a few of these radar towers with similar design in Japan. Haneda has one, but has been confirmed to not be it. I found Kagoshima but that's not a KL destination.

Closest that I can find is Sapporo/CTS, which at least used to be a KL destination. Still a guess though. It kind of matches with Google Maps, however the colors on the picture are fairly different from what Google shows. Google may be outdated though. Or I may be totally off!

Last edited by Xandrios; Jan 24, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
There seem to be quite a few of these radar towers with similar design in Japan. Haneda has one, but has been confirmed to not be it. I found Kagoshima Airport but that's not a KL destination.

Closest that I can find is Sapporo/CTS, which at least used to be a KL destination. Still a guess though. It kind of matches with Google Maps, however the colors on the picture are fairly different from what Google shows. Google may be outdated though.
I'll take it; CTS is correct. It is where the two Japanese Government 747s are stationed, right behind those fuel containers:

It's a bit tricky now because CTS is not one of the approved airports for international flights to/from japan at this moment but I assure you it was a KL codeshare destination when I took the photo. Specifically, I was on board KL4250 departing for ICN on KE metal.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jan 24, 2022 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.