Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
My apologies if this is too personal of a question..

Do I understand correctly that you're able to spend overtime hours directly on upgrades for corporate travel? Is that allowed tax-wise?

That'd be a very interesting option. I do not fly much for work, but if I do its always in economy. Not fun for 12+ hour flights. Perhaps this would be a way to get cheap(er) paid upgrades..

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
My interpretation was that he had worked a LOT of overtime lately -> more money in his pocket -> he decided to spend some of his personal money to get the upgrade
Your interpretation is correct, yes! All my flying is for leisure anyway.

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
That's a good deal, since the Delta hard product, IMO is much better. Everything is 1-2-1 "lie flat," or 1-1 (upper deck 747).
Yeah, having taken a flight with KLM on the MD11 in March on the old WBC seat (as expected on the JFK flight on the 777) this one was naturally a lot better. Crew were okay but not as good as my experiences on other DL flights. Food was decent too; although the pre-landing burger looked a bit suspect!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:19 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
ORD-AMS, $398 in New business Class.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
AMS - TLS EUR119 - and TLS - AMS EUR99

I had no clue why this difference - but when I got to the airport, there was no Priority boarding... so that's EUR20 saved. (Needless to say I didn't take either of the offers)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-MNL tomorrow, €309. Only one out of eight pax was offered an upgrade, and she happened to be the one booked on a PNR of her own. I'm guessing that the others were not offered any upgrade because there were not enough seats available? Not that that would make any sense from a commercial perspective.

OT, but the seat map tried to drive us insane. All pax already had seats, but we tried to seat four of them together in the middle block in one row. As soon as one or two of the pax had been moved, the remaining two or three seats in that block suddenly showed as unvailable. This happened repeatedly. Perserverance finally paid off, but it took almost half an hour to get them seated together.

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
AMS-MNL tomorrow, €309. Only one out of eight pax was offered an upgrade, and she happened to be the one booked on a PNR of her own. I'm guessing that the others were not offered any upgrade because there were not enough seats available? Not that that would make any sense from a commercial perspective.

OT, but the seat map tried to drive us insane. All pax already had seats, but we tried to seat four of them together in the middle block in one row. As soon as one or two of the pax had been moved, the remaining two or three seats in that block suddenly showed as unvailable. This happened repeatedly. Perserverance finally paid off, but it took almost half an hour to get them seated together.

Johan
The flight to seems heavily overbooked for tomorrow. No wonder the good offer to WBC and the trouble you got to get the seats!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
LIN-AMS €159 (no way!)

The flight was very empty (only 2 pax in EC, plenty of empty rows, only 3 pax in J)
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
CDG-GRU from Z to P: 2000 EUR
(Non merci...)
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
This is the first time I've heard about a paid UG to P.

IMO, the difference between Y and J is huge, but from J to P... not so much. €2000?!?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-MNL again, € 309.-- again.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
AMS-MNL again, € 309.-- again.
That is great value!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
That is great value!
I personally agree, but try telling that to a Filipino migrant worker, whose family expect him to bring home every cent earned, if not more.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by florin
This is the first time I've heard about a paid UG to P.

IMO, the difference between Y and J is huge, but from J to P... not so much. €2000?!?
It was also the first time for me, thus I posted it here.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Again €159 AMS-LIN
OT, but the flight ended up being cancelled anyway.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

309 euro for DPS-AMS. Was able to grab it for myself and my girlfriend as a nice surprise to end the holiday. Not sure what the original fare bucket was, but it must have been a low one since it was a hotel & flight package through a travel website. Not one to complain with such a bargain, but WBC on the 777-200 is really outdated (my usual C travel for work is on a 747).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-CPH €149.-- 15 out of 16 seats available.

Hilarious!

They must be trying for a mention in the Guiness Book of World Records in the category "the most expensive and mediocre sandwich ever".

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.