Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Offered 60EUR for LHR-AMS. Declined.

It doesn't look like I'm going to get an offer for AMS-JRO, as whenever I tap on "extra options" on the app, I get a message saying the seat map is not available, which is annoying as I may want to change the seat within Y.
The front and back of Y cabin still look pretty empty. Everything else is getting quite full. J is the same as before
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Deckter
The front and back of Y cabin still look pretty empty. Everything else is getting quite full. J is the same as before
I just managed to look on the website from a phone without the app. No offers for upgrade. I'm in a G seat near the back at the moment, with D & E occupied and F open. I'm thinking of possibly switching to one of the tapered middle rows of 3 right at the back, but the risk of that is that most people travel in couples and that may then be the only pair available.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Checked the app again. 504EUR for the upgrade to J.

Declined as:

1. Day flight.
2. Y relatively lightly loaded.
3. Reduced catering in J.
4. Already have lounge access with PP.
fifty_two and Deckter like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:26 am

Got offered the below amount for Y to J for tomorrow.

BER-AMS - 69EUR
AMS-JRO - 529EUR
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Got offered the below amount for Y to J for tomorrow.

BER-AMS - 69EUR
AMS-JRO - 529EUR
how much did you pay ? before covid , if you paid an error fare or very cheap ticket AND the AMS/JRO was operated by a dreamliner with new J seats , i would say why not , but not now , as you never know what to expect , also service has been reduced to minimum , so you basically pay for 500euros for the seat

Stay in Y , and after take off , move to an empy row
Deckter likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by fifty_two
how much did you pay ? before covid , if you paid an error fare or very cheap ticket AND the AMS/JRO was operated by a dreamliner with new J seats , i would say why not , but not now , as you never know what to expect , also service has been reduced to minimum , so you basically pay for 500euros for the seat

Stay in Y , and after take off , move to an empy row
I paid what i would consider a normal economy fare and i was planning on staying in Y for the same reasons you mentioned, plus it’s a day flight.

Definitely not worth the amount they’re asking.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I paid what i would consider a normal economy fare
while i understand your logic i think you missed my point . Let's say you paid something way below the usual price for such route on KLM , you need to consider if adding these 500euros , compared to the general quality KLM offer on this route compare to the competition justify these 500euros

A before covid upgrade on a DXB/DOH to JRO in J on QR/EK for 500 euros , assuming the Y price was good and plane/cabins are recent, is quite a good deal for multiple reasons

So the price you paid for the season/period of the year you want to fly is very important , cause you need to compare to
  • what it usually cost at same period/season
  • what a J and Y ticket cost the rest the year
  • what competitors on the same segment can offer
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: FB Gold
99€ for Lisbonne- AMS tomorrow. Lol given the zéro service, no thanks !
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

waw-ams = 69€
ams-wro = 69€

Both KLC in e90/e75 . While the waw-ams was almost full, the ams-wro was really empty , 15 pax max , and only 1 in J .

During normal days , i would enjoy such situation , now iam a bit scared for the future of cityhopper as i knew it
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Is Cityhopper in trouble? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Is Cityhopper in trouble?
No, no. On the contrary. With their smaller planes they have taken over so many mainline flights, that they ran short of FAs a while back. They got a whole bunch from KL on secondment.

Johan
splflyer likes this.

Last edited by johan rebel; Nov 15, 2020 at 10:18 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fifty_two
While the waw-ams was almost full, the ams-wro was really empty , 15 pax max , and only 1 in J.
YMMV.

Colleagues who commute from GDN keep on reporting packed and overbooked flights, with pax on standby and volunteers called for.

Several KLM sources have independently mentioned completely full MEX flights.

I've been on almost or completely full planes to AMS, CPH, ATH, ARN and most recently IST (a chaotic mess, but that's another story). On the other hand, my other flights were one third to half full, and they were in the majority (sample size 20+, too lazy to count).

Johan
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by johan rebel
YMMV
YMMV yes , why not , but read what i said , and if not clear ask i can explain without problems

Colleagues who commute from GDN keep on reporting packed and overbooked flights, with pax on standby and volunteers called for.
Before covid they had 3 flights per day , your colleague is probably talking about the KL flight from 6am . There was a 2nd flight later in the morning but it was cancelled . So no surprises that flight is packed/overbooked , and that was the point you missed in my statement (probably i should have explained longer but never thought it would be needed)

Several KLM sources have independently mentioned completely full MEX flights.
i dont know what MEX has to do there unless an embraer can easily fly over the atlantic as a dreamliner without specific modifications or routes

AMS, CPH, ATH, ARN and most recently IST
Ok , so unless recent changes , i dont remember KLC flying to istanbul , if thats the case then of course if you sell tickets for a single daily flight on a b737 and in the end you fly an e175/190 , your plane will be full

For the others you mentioned , they were all operated by KLM with usual b737 or fully/partially by KLC with e175/190 ??

Originally Posted by Concerto
Is Cityhopper in trouble? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
No , neither KLM or KLC are in troubles (i mean despite what we all know already)

My point , was to illustrate the fact that KL already changed their schedules for many european destinations as you already know and this has an impact on KLC

But , the thing is , KLC "replaced" KLM on various occasions (to some major airports) , and KLC reduced their frequency on some destinations means that planes are sometimes full on some days/flights when it is usually not , which means
  1. Less chances to have a free seat next to you on flights that were usually not always full
  2. Longer time for boarding/disembark the plane
  3. Less choices for flight schedules
i have to mention that , it isnot a surprise for me , and it has to be expected , however as future is not certain , so we don't know what is coming next

This is what i meant by my doubts about the near future of KLC as i knew it

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 15, 2020 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL and KLC are like Siamese twins: they might just be capable of independent existence, but a separation would be very painful. KL load factors are highly relevant to KLC's wellbeing. Full MEX flights fill the feeder planes.

These days substitution is the name of the game. Operations apparently checks upcoming flights continuously, and as soon as a 737 has fewer pax booked than can fit into an Embraer and the latter has sufficient range, they do a swap. I've known this to happen as late as the evening before departure. It really sucks. You are already checked in, and suddenly your empty middle seat goes out the window, and so does your legroom when they squeeze all four J pax into row 1. You also have a good chance of a bus gate at AMS.

I normally go out of my way to avoid KLC, but these days that's hard to do. Unfortunately!

As for IST, that was mainline, packed to the rafters, and badly mismanaged. It was my first, only and hopefully last KL flight to that destination. I'll make sure to stick to TK.

Johan
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Checked the app again. 504EUR for the upgrade to J.

Declined as:

1. Day flight.
2. Y relatively lightly loaded.
3. Reduced catering in J.
4. Already have lounge access with PP.
What's the lowest OLCI upgrade you have gotten on this route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.