Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 finally to announce European routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 finally to announce European routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Free agent
I would guess September of 2020 at the earliest. They don't currently have a plane in service that can fly the route. This will likely be the announcement that they are taking the option to convert some of their A321's to A321LR's along with a route announcement. They exercise the options and take delivery a year or so after that? They'll likely run the plane on some short routes and then TCON routes to familiarize the crew and then a first flight to LON some months after that. (Which I will hopefully be on!). This is my totally uneducated guess.
conroy9 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:25 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dtremit
As Dn10 notes, Aer Lingus is a JetBlue partner; I can't speak for JFK, but in BOS there are a ton of passengers who connect B6 <-> EI. And JetBlue sells Aer Lingus flights on its website.

I seriously doubt JetBlue would choose to compete with a partner as one of their first TATL routes.
EI are working to join the OW Joint Venture, and once that happens it is hard to see the existing EI-B6 relationship remaining the same. So B6 flying to DUB could be a case of striking first
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by AMflier
Their Fleet is 24 Airbus A321s, 7 A330-200s and 2 Boeing 757-200s so there is much compatibility there. They have slots at most of the London airports, including LHR. They have also have partnered with a decent list of other airlines.

I worry about the debt, but it would make an interesting company.
How/why does Thomas Cook have slots at LHR. Are they leasing them out?

If i were jetblue I would strongly consider Gatwick if EasyJet want to partner and protect connections. Even a very small % of connections given EasyJet's size at Gatwick could help fill the planes.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by greenarmy
If i were jetblue I would strongly consider Gatwick if EasyJet want to partner and protect connections. Even a very small % of connections given EasyJet's size at Gatwick could help fill the planes.
I think the problem that JetBlue will face is finding a partner airline similar to them on the Atlantic side. Easyjet only offers 29" legroom and doesn't come close to JetBlue service levels. Since JetBlue's European flights will be limited for at least a few years (given the lack of A321LR they'll be getting), I'd think they have the business simply running 2x/day flights to London, Dublin...etc. No need to rush a European airline partnership, especially given that no LCC (that I know of) in Ireland, UK, France or Netherlands wouldn't be a massive drop in quality. Remember, JetBlue can use their upcoming A220 planes for inter-Europe flights...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
I think the problem that JetBlue will face is finding a partner airline similar to them on the Atlantic side. Easyjet only offers 29" legroom and doesn't come close to JetBlue service levels. Since JetBlue's European flights will be limited for at least a few years (given the lack of A321LR they'll be getting), I'd think they have the business simply running 2x/day flights to London, Dublin...etc. No need to rush a European airline partnership, especially given that no LCC (that I know of) in Ireland, UK, France or Netherlands wouldn't be a massive drop in quality. Remember, JetBlue can use their upcoming A220 planes for inter-Europe flights...
I think most of the concerns around service and leg room are substantially dealt with by the connecting flights likely being sub 2hr - and realistically the service would a snack bag and a soft drink; hardly life changing - especially when Easyjet offer their full Buy on Board which is regarded favourably.

Moreover I don't see the downsides. If you are flying to somewhere that the JetBlue option would require connecting onto an EasyJet flight, and the Easyjet aspect makes you book with a different carrier, in the scenario where the partnership doesn't exist, JetBlue still doesn't get that ticket sale as they can't fly them to where they need to go. Yes there is small damage of reputation damage from bleed across but if the traveller is clued up enough to know they specifically prefer Jetblue for their comfortable cabins, then they are probably clued up enough to spot and understand a codeshare/connecting partner.

Using their own A220s for internal flights on the European side simply won't happen. The EU wouldn't give them the 5th freedoms to do so unless the US agreed to give EU carriers similar privileges in the US - which ain't happening.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by greenarmy
I think most of the concerns around service and leg room are substantially dealt with by the connecting flights likely being sub 2hr - and realistically the service would a snack bag and a soft drink; hardly life changing - especially when Easyjet offer their full Buy on Board which is regarded favourably.

Moreover I don't see the downsides. If you are flying to somewhere that the JetBlue option would require connecting onto an EasyJet flight, and the Easyjet aspect makes you book with a different carrier, in the scenario where the partnership doesn't exist, JetBlue still doesn't get that ticket sale as they can't fly them to where they need to go. Yes there is small damage of reputation damage from bleed across but if the traveller is clued up enough to know they specifically prefer Jetblue for their comfortable cabins, then they are probably clued up enough to spot and understand a codeshare/connecting partner.

Using their own A220s for internal flights on the European side simply won't happen. The EU wouldn't give them the 5th freedoms to do so unless the US agreed to give EU carriers similar privileges in the US - which ain't happening.
While I agree JetBlue won’t fly internally within Europe, U.S. airlines already have those traffic rights. They can fly intra-EU and carry local traffic, just as long as it’s not within the same country. It’s been about a decade since it was last done, AA and UA flew LHRBRU in the late 2000s, but it was slot squatting above anything else.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by soy
EI are working to join the OW Joint Venture, and once that happens it is hard to see the existing EI-B6 relationship remaining the same. So B6 flying to DUB could be a case of striking first
Though weirdly, they're apparently leaning toward *not* joining OW, just joining the JV. Very odd.

In any case, B6 has partnerships with several alliance airlines -- QR and TP come to mind -- and unless passengers are going to an AA hub, OW doesn't really have any flights to offer to EI passengers in BOS. So my guess is nothing would change right away.

Unrelatedly -- wonder if JetBlue will be able to pick up any of WOW's planes now that they're gone? Seems like they'd be a good match and a potential offset for the delayed Airbus deliveries in 2019. Plus they're presumably already ETOPS capable...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Aer Lingus could join One World Connect instead of being a full member. Suppose that could result in B6 opening up a Dublin flight.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:22 pm

Friend just told me there's a Thomas Cook A330 parked at Terminal 5 JFK 🤔🤔
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:15 pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-omyt

He probably saw it outside the window.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Apr 4, 2019 at 6:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:31 pm

JB to launch London, Amsterdam, Paris and Dublin Wednesday 😬
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:44 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8857056.html
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vincent Zuo
JB to launch London, Amsterdam, Paris and Dublin Wednesday 😬
Where did you see that?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Where did you see that?
He has an inside source, per his other posts.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Please be BOS-BSL. Let it be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.