Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Appropriate compensation?

I was on a flight where the neighboring passenger was extremely drunk, drugged, or both. I was surprised that she was allowed to board because I could tell from ten rows away she was impaired. During the flight, she brushed up against me many times, put her hand on my thigh several times, and once almost put her hand in my pocket. She later began moaning uncontrollably, and I notified a flight attendant. I (and the passenger on the other side of the problem passenger) were moved to one of the few open seats.

At the end of the flight, the passenger was removed from the plane first, then I and the other neighboring passenger were removed to give a statement to the police. I was offered the opportunity to press an assault charge, but I declined. The passenger was so obviously impaired that she didn't know what she was doing. I doubt if she remembers much, if anything, of the flight.

It was an extremely uncomfortable flight, and I had to take time after to talk with the police. I don't know how she got on the flight, as it was clear to just about everyone I spoke with that she should not have been allowed to board. I feel that B6 failed in ensuring the safety and comfort of passengers and that I should receive some compensation. What would you suggest is appropriate? Points? Refund? If yes to either, how much?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
In the Yahtzee Court of Equity, I'd say no refund and a couple thousand points.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
In the Yahtzee Court of Equity, I'd say no refund and a couple thousand points.
I concur. Even the points would be purely at B6's discretion, since B6 did everything right once you were in the air.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by paradox
It was an extremely uncomfortable flight, and I had to take time after to talk with the police. I don't know how she got on the flight, as it was clear to just about everyone I spoke with that she should not have been allowed to board. I feel that B6 failed in ensuring the safety and comfort of passengers and that I should receive some compensation. What would you suggest is appropriate? Points? Refund? If yes to either, how much?
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I think the more important thing that needs to happen here is the gate agents need to be held accountable for boarding this passenger and causing this security issue. They're supposed to be noting who is boarding and what kind of condition they are in. It's worth a brief delay if it is eliminating a potential security issue. I would send in an email, tweet, etc about this.

I was on a flight to Chicago a couple of years ago with a bunch of noticeably drunk guys at the gate. It was a 6am flight so I'm guessing they had pulled an all-nighter. They were also openly drinking at the gate. Several of us complained to the GAs but they looked the other way. One of the GAs actually walked away from the gate as well. Anyway, they were boarded, the FAs told them almost immediately that they werent getting served alcohol and off we went. They were rowdy for the entire flight. As they were right behind me, I ended up being the crew witness and giving a statement after the flight. I never got compensated nor did I ask however, the kind GA in Chicago took me aside and upgraded me to EMS for the return trip. I was fine with that. My concern was more that this doesn't happen again in the future.

I agree with the others that unfortunately this will be up to B6's discretion ultimately but it would be nice if they did give you some points.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I've never asked for compensation from an airline before and wasn't sure what, if any, I should seek. The passenger should have never been allowed to board, and that's on B6, imho.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had an obviously drunk and disruptive passenger removed from a flight but it only works if you say something before departure. After the door is closed they'll do what they can (and it sounds like the OP got as good as possible in the circumstances) but there are not many options.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation, but it is possible that B6 may do something by way of a voluntary customer service gesture. That might be a few points.

More important than a few points is filing a complaint to FAA Flight Safety (you may see this as a customer annoyance, but it is a specific violation of FAA rules for the GA to have boarded the woman and for the FA's not to have taken action).

Because the woman was taken into custody, there will likely be FAA follow-up anyway, but it helps when those affected complain as well. Focus on the obvious nature of the problem and the safety issues she caused rather than the poor customer service.

https://www.faa.gov/contact/safety_h...BAC84D2FFB.www
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Often1, for the suggestion. I have filed a FAA report, focusing on safety issues (i.e., how was she was able to get past the gate agent and flight attendants).

I notified B6 as well because my primary concern is that this sort of thing not happen again. I did not ask for any sort of compensation. I'll update this thread as necessary, but for now I consider the matter closed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
I would be most bothered by the fact that you were compelled to spent time talking to authorities as a result/as a reward for notifying B6 of the problem pax. Seems like a great deterrent to me.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Though I had not asked for points or a refund, B6 deposited $75 in a travel bank as a goodwill gesture. I wasn't keen on flying B6 again, other than to use up my Trueblue points, as all their routes from my home airport can be duplicated by other carriers. But this has caused me to reconsider (which I suppose is the goal of the travel bank deposit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.