Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Route speculation [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by rrz518
Cleveland, Detroit, or CAK???????? So many people in those areas longing to be served by a good carrier other than WN
CLE is a CO base. DTW is a DL base. CAK is a smaller but expensive station than what B6 is looking to do right now. Plus all three cities have a declining population base and it has been that way for years.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Seat13c
CLE is a CO base. DTW is a DL base. CAK is a smaller but expensive station than what B6 is looking to do right now. Plus all three cities have a declining population base and it has been that way for years.
Perhaps, however:

But JFK is also a DL hub, and somehow Jetblue maintains a presence there.

CMH is neither a hub, nor declining, and from what I'm told, Jetblue did reasonably OK there, but left nonetheless.

Spirit somehow manages to make do in DTW; in spite of the city's woes the airport seems to be doing quite nicely. Same goes for Southwest, who has been at both DTW & CLE for many years, not to mention the Airtran focus at CAK.

As to the fortress hub argument, I'd bet that there are enough disenchanted DL/CO customers out there that would be thrilled with a Jetblue presence at either.

Couldn't it be more likely that Jetblue's attitude of said markets as flyover country is the cause?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:29 pm

Perhaps, however:

But JFK is also a DL hub, and somehow Jetblue maintains a presence there.

CMH is neither a hub, nor declining, and from what I'm told, Jetblue did reasonably OK there, but left nonetheless.

Spirit somehow manages to make do in DTW; in spite of the city's woes the airport seems to be doing quite nicely. Same goes for Southwest, who has been at both DTW & CLE for many years, not to mention the Airtran focus at CAK.

As to the fortress hub argument, I'd bet that there are enough disenchanted DL/CO customers out there that would be thrilled with a Jetblue presence at either.

Couldn't it be more likely that Jetblue's attitude of said markets as flyover country is the cause?
The point I was trying to get across is that there are not always profits to be made at hubs. JFK, LAX, and ORD are three of the few where a carrier can make a profit with large operations and a competing carrier boasts its hub there. The reason is extremely large scale populations with huge big business operations that both call the city's metro area home. CLE and DTW have not seen a positive population growth in decades. Also, there business at home really haven't been know for any really large scale economical growth over the last decade. And CAK (not CMH) is just a small scale city that doesn't offer and door buster deals to get people in the door, er, city gates.

The key for 2011, by B6 recent claims, is going to be most growth for the carrier in latin American countries. You might see B6 move into a new US market if a sweet heart deal is given but don't count on many if any this there.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA1K
i don't think CLE has much in terms of O&D traffic.

and LEX and TYS? def not enough there for B6 to warrant anything.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90

Then how is it that CAK has seen such growth? I've been told that it's one of the fastest growing airports in the country, and as evidenced by all the Airtran activity there, there's prob. some truth to that.

Keep in mind that the drivable range to CLE/CAK includes western Ohio (Toledo), Columbus, Pittsburgh, and up thru Buffalo, I'd think that there would be ample opportunities.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:42 pm

Keep in mind that the drivable range to CLE/CAK includes western Ohio (Toledo), Columbus, Pittsburgh, and up thru Buffalo, I'd think that there would be ample opportunities.
Why would people in Pittsburg and Buffalo drive to CLE? Both cities have ample service and I don't think the fares in CLE or CAK would be any better to make it worth a long drive.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA1K
Then how is it that CAK has seen such growth? I've been told that it's one of the fastest growing airports in the country, and as evidenced by all the Airtran activity there, there's prob. some truth to that.

when your airport only serves a handful of cities, i can see why adding two destinations is seen as "such growth."

and compared to the other hubs in the US, i'm willing to bet CLE is pretty low down the list in terms of O&D traffic. maybe that will explain the reason for downsizing to RJ's instead of mainline a/c from the likes of DL, AA, and US?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13c
Why would people in Pittsburg and Buffalo drive to CLE? Both cities have ample service and I don't think the fares in CLE or CAK would be any better to make it worth a long drive.
I've flown to PIT (on B6) b/c they don't offer service to CLE. I've driven to CLE b/c of favorable fares from TOL.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:10 pm

There are certainly cities larger than CLE unserved by JetBlue, but CLE is a larger metro area than Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, Buffalo, and others...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:03 pm

I've flown to PIT (on B6) b/c they don't offer service to CLE.
That's totaly your chose for not to fly directly into CLE on another carrier. If its a lot cheaper to go B6 to PIT and drive it, I'm all for it. However, I would imagine that it's not a very common practice with very many PAX.

I've driven to CLE b/c of favorable fares from TOL.
If the fares are so favorable in TOL, why don't you just take another carrier straight into TOL?

Originally Posted by Quaker325
There are certainly cities larger than CLE unserved by JetBlue, but CLE is a larger metro area than Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, Buffalo, and others...
But a difference between a CLT and CLE is the directions the populations are going. CLT and the like are going up in populations, business entities, and wealth. CLE has been seeing negative population and business growth since the 70's (albeit at a very slow rate but still negative).
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:40 pm

[QUOTE=Seat13c;15791710]
If the fares are so favorable in TOL, why don't you just take another carrier straight into TOL?

\QUOTE]

That's not what I said (or at least what I meant). I've flown to CLE (instead of TOL) due to the better fares and routes from Cleveland, and then driven (back) to Toledo.

For that matter, I fly to DTW at least 2x per month, while my destination is really Toledo.

My point being that while I'm headed to Toledo, I'll rarely fly there due to cost and lack of good connections, instead using DTW, CLE, CMH, DAY, FNT, PIT, IND, etc. All of which are favorable, at least for cost, to TOL.

Should Jetblue ever decide to go to CLE or (even better) DTW, I'd at least have a strong inclination to use them over DL or CO, both of which are in my view, mediocre.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:00 pm
Suspended

I think TYS-DCA might do well.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I agree. I think it will work out very well. Besides, I think B6 is considering service TYS-MCO/FLL/BOS/AUS and etc. There goes some little bit more tough competitions against G4.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Originally Posted by N830MH
I agree.
I think you're both nuts.

JetBlue has so few DCA slots that they aren't going to use them on a brand new station with limited documented demand and yield. Maybe if they got additional slots somewhere but I still think they'd focus on established markets with more known profits.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Didn't know B6 had few DCA slots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.