Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta
When are your arrival and departure times?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

6:30am arrival, 5:25pm departure.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:33 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations. I appreciate your input. I am not up for sightseeing since I will returning from a funeral. Leaving LAX tomorrow for Bangkok, will have 6 hours layover on the way there which I will just hangout at the airport. However, on the way back to LAX, will have 10 hours at KIX and want to kill time but not quite sightseeing, is there any malls to hang out nearby there? I'd lived and worked in Tokyo for a year when I was younger so been to some temples already. Numba sounds like fun though, do you know how long it will take the train to get there and can I go with a wheeled carryon bag? or best to go light with a backpack? I will arrive at 6:30am and depart at 5:25pm. Thank you.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:18 pm

Kyoto is a great place, but will take more time getting there and going back. I'd recommend go into Osaka, greater Namba area (much closer than Kyoto), walk around, have lunch, then back to the airport. You won't need to get back to KIX until 3:30 or even 4:00, so you'll have some time.
Take Nankai train to Namba.
https://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/train
Here's some good info about Osaka.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4001.html
Old May 22, 2018, 12:14 am

If you decide to go to Kyoto, you'll probably have ~5hrs there (but then keep in mind it takes an additional time to get from Kyoto Station to wherever you want to get to).
If you decide to just settle for Nanba, you'll probably have 6~6.5hrs there.

You'll have to decide for yourself which place you'd rather go to. If it's raining that day, Kyoto is almost certainly not worth it. If the weather's decent and you just want to go check out a specific area of Kyoto (eg, Kizomizudera + shopping alley below it + Gion area), then Kyoto is definitely doable. Nanba area can be a lot of fun also, and 6hrs will go pretty quick.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:48 am

A different option, take the high speed ferry to Kobe and walk around, then have Kobe beef for lunch.
https://www.kobe-access.jp/eng/
Or continue on to world heritage site Himeji castle.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
Old May 22, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
Or continue on to world heritage site Himeji castle.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
Himeji is doable, but quite a lot of effort. The travel is 4+ hours roundtrip with several changes. Worth it if you're passionate about Japanese castles.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Himeji is doable, but quite a lot of effort. The travel is 4+ hours roundtrip with several changes. Worth it if you're passionate about Japanese castles.
If Himeji, then I recommend the high-speed ferry, because much faster than train or bus to Kobe (Sannomiya station). From JR Sannomiya to Himeji is 40 minutes on express train. Could still get back to Kobe for lunch, then ferry back to KIX. Not your normal layover, but the castle is a unique place.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:51 am

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

If Himeji, then I recommend the high-speed ferry, because much faster than train or bus to Kobe (Sannomiya station). From JR Sannomiya to Himeji is 40 minutes on express train. Could still get back to Kobe for lunch, then ferry back to KIX. Not your normal layover, but the castle is a unique place.
Thank you

Originally Posted by jib71
Thank you.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 23, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A different option, take the high speed ferry to Kobe and walk around, then have Kobe beef for lunch.
https://www.kobe-access.jp/eng/
Is it feasible to travel with ski equipment on the high speed ferry between Kobe and Kansai? Right now the only way I can use miles to get from Sapporo to connect to an international flight at KIX would be Kobe or ITM. I'm assuming Kobe might actually be easier...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:23 am

ITM would be easier, because there is a direct bus to/from KIX. They can put your luggage underneath.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: ANA, JAL
according to the Japanese version of the website...
3辺の和が2m以内かつ重量30キロ以下であればお持込みいただけます。
The sum of the width/hight/depth has to be under 2m and the weight needs to be under 30kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.