Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Hi,

My TG flight arrives at 7am. Will take UA leaving 5pm for SFO. If I factor in 3 hours of going through immigration in and out of KIX, I still have 7 hours left. Looking for ideas to:

1. Take a shower and nap.
2. Find a city nearby for a quick visit. (Have seen Osaka and Kyoto years ago.) I am thinking about Kobe...

Another question is about airport tax. My ticket only includes taxes of Thailand and USA. Since in theory I am in transit, do I have to pay any tax when I go out and come back to KIX for a day?

Thank you very much in advance!
I will also be on this flight on a Monday in a few months and I am looking for trip ideas. My wife and I have never been to Japan and this may be our only chance. We are more interested in seeing historical and cultural sites than cities such as Osaka. What would be the best place to go for our only Japan experience?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Regulator85
I will also be on this flight on a Monday in a few months and I am looking for trip ideas. My wife and I have never been to Japan and this may be our only chance. We are more interested in seeing historical and cultural sites than cities such as Osaka. What would be the best place to go for our only Japan experience?
Kyoto - Take the Haruka express train (e.g. at 7:55am) and arrive in Kyoto 90 minutes later. You had better select just one part of the city to explore. Several threads in this forum discuss sight seeing itineraries. Get a Kansai area pass to cover your Haruka train fares.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
KIX (Osaka) 8.5 hours connection

My wife has 8.5 hours connection in Osaka in upcoming travel - incoming flight lands at 2:30PM and outgoing leaves at 11PM.

I would be grateful for recommendations how to most productively spend connection time in the city. My wife has been in Japan before, but not in Osaka. Unfortunately she does not speak Japanese at all.

P.S. Moderator, thanks for joining the thread, but the first pages are several years old, I do not know if recommendations sounded there are still valid. Because my wife arrives after 12h flight it would be nice to go and see something nearby, directly accessible by train from the terminal. Better would be a site of historical/cultural value then something modern - we've been in Tokyo already.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 24, 2013 at 8:33 am
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok, with that added information -

KIX isn't really IN Osaka. It is on an island in the bay and requires a 30 to 60 minute train ride to get into Osaka, depending on which station you select. The main Osaka or Shin-Osaka stations are not the most interesting.

For "cultural/historical" rather than modern, I'd suggest Kyoto. It is only 75 minutes by the airport express train (the "Haruka") and you arrive at the main Kyoto Station. Kyoto is perhaps a bit easier for first-timer visitors and has several places to see quite near the station. You can also get a decent meal near or in the station building, which also houses a large, up-scale department store and underground mall if she is interested.

The one draw-back I see is the late hour. Many of the tourist sights close at or around 5:00 pm, so she won't have time for more than 1 or 2. She might want to splurge on cabs and cherry-pick a couple of places close to the station to get there before closing.

In case she ends up spending a few hours at KIX, all is not lost. There are a number of shops and restaurants upstairs in the main building before security. She might enjoy getting a meal there and exploring a bit.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
KIX isn't really IN Osaka. It is on an island in the bay and requires a 30 to 60 minute train ride to get into Osaka, depending on which station you select. The main Osaka or Shin-Osaka stations are not the most interesting.
Namba (which is only ~30 minutes away by the "rapit" limited express train) is a somewhat interesting area and is very much "central Osaka." That said it mainly offers shopping and eating and not much else -- though the shopping arcades are pretty interesting in themselves, and if you go in the evening you can see the famous sea of neon signs on both sides of the Dotonbori canal.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4001.html

Alternatively you could take JR to Tennoji and explore that area, in roughly a similar amount of travel time.

http://www.osaka-info.jp/en/area/tennoji.html
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Kyoto - Take the Haruka express train (e.g. at 7:55am) and arrive in Kyoto 90 minutes later. You had better select just one part of the city to explore. Several threads in this forum discuss sight seeing itineraries. Get a Kansai area pass to cover your Haruka train fares.
In terms of getting back to the airport, would taking the 1:46pm arriving at 3:00pm leave us with sufficient time for a 5pm flight?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:32 pm

In terms of getting back to the airport, would taking the 1:46pm arriving at 3:00pm leave us with sufficient time for a 5pm flight?
Basically, I'd be happy to arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure, but I don't see that train in the Haruka timetable. 1:46pm departure from where?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:33 pm

I meant 1:48 pm
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:53 pm

I meant 1:48 pm
I don't see it.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:26 pm

Sorry, so it's 1:15 or 2:15pm. Taking the 0755 and getting to Kyoto at 0930 would give us a little under 4 hours if we took the 0115 back to KIX. I was thinking of seeing Kiyomizu temple and/or Sanjusangendo. Given our time constraint, would it be best to take a taxi from the station to these sites?

Last edited by Alphatmldr; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Most likely yes. Kyoto taxis are not particularly cheap but are very clean, honest and no tipping is necessary. For major attractions like the ones you mention, every driver will know it cold. Kiyumizu and Sanjusangendo are actually rather close in proximity so you might even be able to see both with limited travel time between them and both are not too far from Kyoto Station so the return will be pretty quick as well. If you choose one, I'd say Kiyumizu and if there is an hour or so left after, stop by Sanjusangendo on the way back to the Station.

There is a tourist bus that will get you there but departures are limited and your timing would be finicky. For such a short time in the city, I'd use cabs every time. Just be sure to get a few thousand yen from the airport ATM to cover cabs, entrance fees and perhaps a nice Japanese meal.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I'd limit that visit to Kyomizyu only. There are rather interesting shops with local artisans products when going uphill, you might be tempted to spend some time looking at those.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
I'd limit that visit to Kyomizyu only. There are rather interesting shops with local artisans products when going uphill, you might be tempted to spend some time looking at those.
Thanks. I was thinking about that and I'm glad you confirmed this.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:44 am

In June and July at KIX I have to exit through C&I then re-enter to checkin for two connections between JQ and EK flights.

One is 3hr15m the other 4hr30m.

From comments here it seems that will be enough time. Does anyone think I will have a problem?
Old May 4, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
After discussing the situation it seems that the best would be to go to a local onsen around (no more than 15min train ride) KIX.

Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.