Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Perhaps this place:

http://www.gardenpalace-spa.co.jp/index2004_english.htm
Old May 5, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by joejones
mmm... the page last time was updated in 2005....
Old May 14, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hey guys,
I'm planning on booking a *A reward ticket with a routing between SFO & PVG. The only availability routes me through KIX. I am given the option of a 1.5 hour layover or an overnight layover. The flight would land at KIX at 15:20 and depart the next day at ~9:30.

My question to people who have been to Osaka is if it is easy/worthwhile to spend a "night on the town" in Osaka. I enjoy experiencing different cultures (have been to Tokyo before) so I thought this may be a neat and easy way to experience a new city without much added cost. I won't have time to take the train to Kyoto as others have suggested on this thread. Also, is the airport hotel a good place to stay since I have an early flight the next day or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 14, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by bobloblaw007
The flight would land at KIX at 15:20 and depart the next day at ~9:30.
Around the airport isn't that interesting. I'd suggest taking the R:apit train to Namba - a nice "downtown" area where you can have dinner and find a reasonable hotel.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
A few weeks ago I went with (read: was dragged by) a friend to SpaWorld. Does this place cross the line into being too touristy?

I quite enjoyed it regardless, it's open 24 hours, and it's decently close to the Namba area. Not too bad of a way to get out of the airport area for a while.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: UA MP
Nope, as tons of locals go there as well (I've never been there, but almost everyone else I know has).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:10 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I have an overnight layover in KIX in July, arriving 830p (ULN-PEK on CA first, then PEK-KIX on CA economy) and leaving 10a on LH business/first, both international, I am *A Gold. Where in the airport is a good place to sleep? And is it worth going to town for dinner? I have visited Osaka area before so no sight-seeing is necessary for me. I think by that time I would just want some good food and a good night of rest. I hold an US passport and don't know a word of Japanese.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by agp423
I have an overnight layover in KIX in July, arriving 830p (ULN-PEK on CA first, then PEK-KIX on CA economy) and leaving 10a on LH business/first, both international, I am *A Gold. Where in the airport is a good place to sleep? And is it worth going to town for dinner? I have visited Osaka area before so no sight-seeing is necessary for me. I think by that time I would just want some good food and a good night of rest. I hold an US passport and don't know a word of Japanese.
The Nikko Hotel is inside KIX, right across the breezeway. In addition to a good night rest, it offers a few pretty decent restaurants, or you could just dine at one of the many restaurants upstairs at the airport before checking in.

Since you won't finish arrival procedures until 9:00 pm or so, I really don't think it would be worth another 45 minutes or so on the train to go into the city.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Where in the airport is a good place to sleep?
If you want to avoid spending any money, I suggest consulting the sleeping in airports website. If you're OK to spend a couple of thousand yen, you could use the KIX manga cafe
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/relax/

And is it worth going to town for dinner?
Food would be much better, but you may miss the last train to KIX.
IIWY, I'd do this and stay near Namba station.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Even if everything go smoothly, you will arrive in town around 9:30-10:00 p.m. after you arrival at KIX. It is already time for many restaurants to start closing. You did mention that you don’t know a word of Japanese. There will be restaurants open late such as Izakaya (Japanese pub) type place but you will have very difficult time without knowledge of Japanese.

You will be looking for a restaurant where there is menu written in English or maybe somebody will speak some broken English. That kind of restaurants will start to close around 10 p.m. Also have to worry about last train back to KIX.

As other have suggested, I think it is best to stay at Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport. There are some options for dinner at KIX.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at the hotel for July 2014, but it says that nothing is available. I'm guessing it is because I cannot book that far in advance. Do I have to book online or can I just show up on the day of?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking at the hotel for July 2014, but it says that nothing is available. I'm guessing it is because I cannot book that far in advance. Do I have to book online or can I just show up on the day of?
I would guess your date is too far in advance for the computer. That is a popular hotel so I wouldn't recommend just showing up, particularly late in the day. IIWM I'd just wait and make a reservation later, early next year. It looks like the longest advance-purchase "campaign" they show is 60-day advance but I wouldn't wait that long.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Regarding reservation at Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport. Japanese website says that reservation become available from around 45 days in advance for Nikko Hotels in Japan, depending on specific hotel. If I look up reservation for July 2014 then give a message that no room is available, just like you mentioned. Then went to rate calendar on the website and rate is shown up till end of March 2014 at this moment, anything further simply show “-“ as rate not available.

I went to JTB website (one of largest travel agency in Japan) and JTB website shows rate at Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport up till first week of May 2014 at this moment.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm considering a layover in KIX arr 10:05 dep 18:20.
Having looked at all the options, I'm considering going to Kobe by ferry. Shuttle bus 10:50>arr Kobe 11:30
dep Kobe 16:00>arr KIX 16:40

What would be a good plan to spend this time?
How long does it take to get from Kobe airport to Kobe?
What's a good inexpensive place to have lunch?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Any help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.