Wiki Posts
Search

current NRT wait times?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
current NRT wait times?

I just received a message from the service that I booked to pick me up at NRT that due to cherry blossom season and a shortage of customs workers that arrival wait times are currently stretching to 4 hours. I have been searching all over the web for information on the current situation but have come up completely empty handed. The airport's website doesn't seem to have any info

Any very recent experiences? I arrive on NH business class from BKK around 15:30 on Sunday
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
There is a thread in the JL forum where people are reporting wait times at Narita of 3 hours or more...

Immigration Narita 2023
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any recent data-points/wait-times clearing immigration in FUK?

Thinking of rebooking PUS-NRT to fly ICN-FUK-HND just to avoid the massive evening lines/waits in HND/NRT. Took me 2+ hrs to clear in HND last week and saw reports of up to 6hr wait times later in the evening.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
I guess time of arrival really matters. My flight from Bangkok to NRT arrived an hour ahead of schedule around 14:30 today. I was out of the airport in about 45 minutes. There was lots of staff in the corridors leading from the plane to immigration including a check to make sure you had the qr codes all lined up. Lots of tensa barrier all over the place but thankfully just a very short line in the immigration area. Only about half of the desks were open at that time. Maybe being a Sunday also mattered
TravisMT81 and uanj like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I guess time of arrival really matters. My flight from Bangkok to NRT arrived an hour ahead
You got in early on the 2-6pm bank.

If you arrive in the middle/tail end of this, might not be so lucky
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:10 am

Touched down at 3:25pm today and cleared immigration at 4:20, customs at 4:30. Was in F so we deplaned before most pax but they did let intl and domestic connections deplane before us which took far longer than it should have - not very organized.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by pesos
Touched down at 3:25pm today and cleared immigration at 4:20, customs at 4:30. Was in F so we deplaned before most pax but they did let intl and domestic connections deplane before us which took far longer than it should have - not very organized.
Japan immigration decides who to deplane first (transit vs non-transit). Either could have been picked, you got unlucky.

Though I haven't heard domestic transit getting grouped with intl transit since domestic transit need to go thru customs
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Japan immigration decides who to deplane first (transit vs non-transit). Either could have been picked, you got unlucky.

Though I haven't heard domestic transit getting grouped with intl transit since domestic transit need to go thru customs
Yeah whatever it was the staff seemed a bit thrown off. But yep intl first then domestic, then F and so on 🤷‍♂️
Old Apr 3, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
We landed from Hong Kong around 3PM last week and immigration was backed up quite a bit. Took us over 2hrs from deplaning to reaching the curb.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sounds like NRT is much worse than HND. We landed at 9:30pm (6 hours delayed) and there was only a short line at immigration which we bypassed using APEC/ABTC card. Literally out could have been out the door at customs in 10min from arriving at terminal but we had to wait a few minutes for a kiosk to scan our customs form.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:00 pm

I really do think it’s mostly flight timing. If they hadn’t held us for connecting pax we would have been in ahead of the YVR flight and that would have likely cut my time down from 55 min to less than 30 or perhaps even less as there also appeared to be a flight with a bunch of Spanish folks just ahead of us as well.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Report from UA 837 today. Unfortunately, we landed 3min late, but still made it in front of most arrivals from the US.
  • 3:15 PM: - arrived at gate
  • 3:25 PM: arrived at immigration queue
  • 4:25 PM: cleared immigration (unfortunately, half of the booths were closed. When I thought, I was almost there, there was a hidden queue behind a glass wall. So it took way longer than I expected)
  • 4:30 PM: cleared customs, no queue

I had a connection NRT-ITM at 5:30 PM and arrived at the ANA check-in 1h before departure. I was really stressed, but made it with 30min to spare.

Firefox didn't display the blue visitjapanweb Code, insisting that I don't have Internet connection. Worked in chrome, after wasting 5 minutes for it.

Last edited by delpiero223; Apr 4, 2023 at 1:50 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Report from UA 837 today. Unfortunately, we landed 3min late, but still made it in front of most arrivals from the US.
  • 3:15 PM: - arrived at gate
  • 3:25 PM: arrived at immigration queue
  • 4:25 PM: cleared immigration (unfortunately, half of the booths were closed. When I thought, I was almost there, there was a hidden queue behind a glass wall. So it took way longer than I expected)
  • 4:30 PM: cleared customs, no queue

I had a connection NRT-ITM at 5:30 PM and arrived at the ANA check-in 1h before departure. I was really stressed, but made it with 30min to spare.

Firefox didn't display the blue visitjapanweb Code, insisting that I don't have Internet connection. Worked in chrome, after wasting 5 minutes for it.
Considering the crush of tourists in Tokyo and elsewhere , 2 hours seems fair. Once the Chinese group tours are back, it will be much longer.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Considering the crush of tourists in Tokyo and elsewhere , 2 hours seems fair. Once the Chinese group tours are back, it will be much longer.
Yes that is going to be a mess. Hoping to have TTP in place by then 🤞
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sounds like NRT is much worse than HND. We landed at 9:30pm (6 hours delayed) and there was only a short line at immigration which we bypassed using APEC/ABTC card. Literally out could have been out the door at customs in 10min from arriving at terminal but we had to wait a few minutes for a kiosk to scan our customs form.
It's much quicker to use the paper customs form.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.