Search

Japan TTP Notice for those with pending applications

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Japan TTP Notice for those with pending applications

I never noticed this before, but found this on the Japan TTP website;

Due to border measures designed to limit COVID-19 infections (e.g., the suspension of visa exemption measures, the designation of countries/regions subject to the denial of landing permissions, etc.), new entries have largely been halted. As such, TTP examinations have also been suspended.

Applications that have already been accepted will be re-opened for review once the applicable border measures have been relaxed.
So for anyone else like me who has a pending application waiting for the secondary inspection, don't withdraw your application. I did email them late last year and got a "no update" response, and I've seen no info about anything changing, but hopefully they open it soon now that things are relaxing and COVID status has downgraded to class 5
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I'm a bit behind the times. According to this thread, they are actively issuing cards again: Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

I'll keep this up as an FYI for anyone else got stuck in the process due to COVID shutdowns.

Last edited by seigex; Feb 28, 2023 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 3, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Does anyone have any experience renewing the card? Mine expired during COVID and I'm wondering if the renewal process is just a formality or whether I'll have to go through the whole rigamarole again.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Not sure if this offers any significant benefit over the ABTC card? Thoughts?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
To be honest I don't see a huge benefit. The reader is clunky and temperamental, but heck, if I can get one, then why not.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Does anyone have any experience renewing the card? Mine expired during COVID and I'm wondering if the renewal process is just a formality or whether I'll have to go through the whole rigamarole again.
Check out the thread in the second post, there are a few recent comments about renewing. Seems like its a pretty quick process.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:46 am
Original Poster

To be honest I don't see a huge benefit. The reader is clunky and temperamental, but heck, if I can get one, then why not.
If I can bypass the main immigration line as things continue to pick up, then it's a win. I'm hoping that now that covid has ended, the equipment will continue to be improved just as they did for immigration, customs, and international departures.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
One big advantage of the TTP card is that if you have one, that's all you need while in Japan - you don't have to carry your passport with you within Japan.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
One big advantage of the TTP card is that if you have one, that's all you need while in Japan - you don't have to carry your passport with you within Japan.
Interesting, I didn't know that. But what are some examples of uses? I can only think of checking into a hotel, renting a car, and flights as situations when I need my passport. But I can't imagine a car rental agency would know what to make of a TTP card...
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Interesting, I didn't know that. But what are some examples of uses? I can only think of checking into a hotel, renting a car, and flights as situations when I need my passport. But I can't imagine a car rental agency would know what to make of a TTP card...
I'm assuming being stopped by police. In Japan you are required to carry your passport on you if you are not a resident/citizen, so it sounds like from what Steve M is saying, that the TTP card is all you need in the unlikely, but possible, event you get stopped to have your documents checked. This a huge plus imho.. i hate dealing with having my passport wallet on me.

Last edited by seigex; Mar 5, 2023 at 8:51 am
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Hotels aren't that big of a deal, as you generally have all your stuff with you anyway.

Originally Posted by seigex
I'm assuming being stopped by police. In Japan you are required to carry your passport on you if you are not a resident/citizen, so it sounds like from what Steve M is saying, that the TTP card is all you need in the unlikely, but possible, event you get stopped to have your documents checked. This a huge plus imho.. i hate dealing with having my passport wallet on me.
Bingo. It's not the actual times that you use your passport that's the issue - it's the legal requirement that you have it on your person at all times while in Japan. The convenience of having to carry only the TTP card for your entire stay far exceeds the convenience of using the automated gates at the airport, IMHO.
YariGuy and seigex like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:30 am

Can someone clarify this section from the TTP site:

"Must have visited Japan the number of times specified in either (a) or (b) below (the visit to Japan for registration is included in the number of times) within the 12-month period prior to the day when they come to be registered as a "Trusted Traveler;"

(a) Businesspeople and their family members: once
(b) Users under JTTP and tourists: twice"

Does that mean once or more, twice or more - or once exactly, or twice or less - I'm assuming the former?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
Can someone clarify this section from the TTP site:

"Must have visited Japan the number of times specified in either (a) or (b) below (the visit to Japan for registration is included in the number of times) within the 12-month period prior to the day when they come to be registered as a "Trusted Traveler;"

(a) Businesspeople and their family members: once
(b) Users under JTTP and tourists: twice"

Does that mean once or more, twice or more - or once exactly, or twice or less - I'm assuming the former?
It's inclusive of the time you enter for secondary inspection, so for JTTP/tourists one time in twelve months, second time enter for secondary inspection satisfies the requirement. For business people and family members, enter for secondary should satisfy it.
worldiswide likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by seigex
It's inclusive of the time you enter for secondary inspection, so for JTTP/tourists one time in twelve months, second time enter for secondary inspection satisfies the requirement. For business people and family members, enter for secondary should satisfy it.
Sorry still not really clear - let’s say I’ve entered twice already this year as a tourist - or three times or four - that’s fine and I can get TTP and continue to enter multiple times a year?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
Sorry still not really clear - let’s say I’ve entered twice already this year as a tourist - or three times or four - that’s fine and I can get TTP and continue to enter multiple times a year?
Yep. That's just the requirement for approval of TTP. As a tourist (with global entry or platinum card approval) you enter japan once, then apply for the TTP, get your initial inspection complete, then you need to enter japan to do your secondary inspection (the counters for secondary inspection are landside) within 12 months of the first entrance and 3 months of the completion of the initial inspection and you are handed the card once you show your documents to them. As long as you have one entry before you fly to japan to do the secondary, you will pass.

Once you have the card, for all future entries you can bypass immigration and go straight to the unmanned entry gates, put your card in the gate and it will print your temporary visa status on the back of the card. The card itself lasts 3 years, or until your passport expiration, whichever is sooner, and can hold up to 15 temporary visitor visas on the back before it's full.

Keep in mind for TTP, you have to satisfy one of the other requirements, either US Global Entry, Platinum Status, be a business man, or family member of someone in Japan. Here's the FAQ that lists the ways to get approved: https://www.isa.go.jp/en/publication...q_a_index.html
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by seigex; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.