USD-JPY Exchange Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD-JPY Exchange Rate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't think it's a bad idea to hedge a bit and get some digital IC cards but there's the very real possibility that the yen could continue to weaken even further so personally I wouldn't get as many as possible at the current time.

Even after the Japanese government yen intervention it never went below 140 JPY to the USD and it's already back over 143 yen as of this writing. Personally I think there's a possibility that before the end of the year we will see 155 JPY per USD.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ts.pub
I don't think it's a bad idea to hedge a bit and get some digital IC cards but there's the very real possibility that the yen could continue to weaken even further so personally I wouldn't get as many as possible at the current time.

Even after the Japanese government yen intervention it never went below 140 JPY to the USD and it's already back over 143 yen as of this writing. Personally I think there's a possibility that before the end of the year we will see 155 JPY per USD.
True, but eventually it will drop, but I'm sure it will drop back closer to 100 yen/usd sometime in the next 10 years. If it hits 155, I'll probably just pick up a few more as well. Though If it's still > 140 when I'm in Japan next month, I'll be grabbing some physical yen as well to bring back with me.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
I would propose an alternative is to perhaps use a service like Wise to exchange USD into JPY and hold that yen in your wise account. If the yen does for some reason strengthen you could then exchange that yen back into USD and deposit it back into your checking/saving account. At that point you could get physical yen via a bank order or withdraw from an ATM if you are in Japan.

Wise also offers a VISA debit card that you could use directly against the yen holding in your account but the transaction fees might make that less ideal than other options.

Perhaps more flexible than loading up thousands of dollars into IC cards.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by seigex
True, but eventually it will drop, but I'm sure it will drop back closer to 100 yen/usd sometime in the next 10 years. If it hits 155, I'll probably just pick up a few more as well. Though If it's still > 140 when I'm in Japan next month, I'll be grabbing some physical yen as well to bring back with me.
The only way it will drop down is if the monetary policy changes. It's not a definite by any means. As it stands Japan will collapse under the blind Kuroda and I feel for the young/middle age generation
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ts.pub
I would propose an alternative is to perhaps use a service like Wise to exchange USD into JPY and hold that yen in your wise account. If the yen does for some reason strengthen you could then exchange that yen back into USD and deposit it back into your checking/saving account. At that point you could get physical yen via a bank order or withdraw from an ATM if you are in Japan.

Wise also offers a VISA debit card that you could use directly against the yen holding in your account but the transaction fees might make that less ideal than other options..
I looked at wise, but with the limitations and fees and rate they offer ($9 for the card, only $100 a month withdraw free then 2% plus a per withdrawal fee, and some other fees), it just didn't make sense for me. I'd rather get physical yen when I'm in Japan if the price stays the same and use suica for the rest. I'm looking at picking up around 280k physical yen, and the exchange place here in LA was offering 138 yen/usd with no fees, but I might just wait and withdraw from Schwab when I'm in country if the rate stays depressed. Who knows, maybe it'll be at 155 by then.

Perhaps more flexible than loading up thousands of dollars into IC cards.
I've loaded $1000 worth of yen on IC cards, not thousands, and I'll have no problem using that in Japan. That said, I know what I'm doing and anyone else looking to make a futures investment should consider angles as well.

Last edited by seigex; Sep 23, 2022 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by peachy3
The only way it will drop down is if the monetary policy changes. It's not a definite by any means. As it stands Japan will collapse under the blind Kuroda and I feel for the young/middle age generation
Nothing is definite in futures investing, but there's ups and downs, so nothing wrong with holding on to some to hedge a price change in the future. It's moved from 130 to 100 in the last 20 years, it'll do it again.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:16 pm

Anyone know how much Schwab will allow up to for a daily atm limit?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
Anyone know how much Schwab will allow up to for a daily atm limit?
$1000/day
pesos likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by F00LY
Trying to get better at optimizing my spend rather than just using CSR/Plat for everything between MSRs.

You said Chase Ink Biz for PASMO, and Apple Card for SUICA?

Chase Ink Biz Unlimited says its got 3% FTF. Does Apple Pay PASMO not trigger FTF?
Basically at this point I had completely stopped using SUICA and switched to PASMO because SUICA no longer codes as travel. There is no functional difference between the two out in the wild when spending.

So yes CSR is optimal because it gives 3x UR for travel (CSP gives 2x, worth considering). I did not realize that ink biz had a FTF (I have never used mine here in Japan), so strike that off the list!

Right now, due to the issues between intl VISAs and suica/pasmo, those cards aren't usable, so temporarily I am using the apple card (mastercard based) for PASMO, getting 2% cash back. Since the 2% is based on being an apple pay transaction and not the merchant code, the 2% works for PASMO or SUICA alike.
You folks are confusing the cards. CIP for 3x travel does not have FTF. CIU is 1.5% cash back (UR) and has FTF. CIP is what Pesos was referring to in the original post.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You folks are confusing the cards. CIP for 3x travel does not have FTF. CIU is 1.5% cash back (UR) and has FTF. CIP is what Pesos was referring to in the original post.
what are cip and ciu acronyms? I generally use and have seen csr for chase sapphire reserve and csp for chase sapphire preferred. Chase business ink has a ftf
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
what are cip and ciu acronyms? I generally use and have seen csr for chase sapphire reserve and csp for chase sapphire preferred. Chase business ink has a ftf
There is no card called "Chase Business Ink".
CIP = Chase Ink Business Preferred
CIU = Chase Ink Business Unlimited
CIC = Chase Ink Business Cash.

CIP has no FTF and earns 3x on travel.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
There is no card called "Chase Business Ink".
CIP = Chase Ink Business Preferred
CIU = Chase Ink Business Unlimited
CIC = Chase Ink Business Cash.

CIP has no FTF and earns 3x on travel.
got it! Good to know about the ftf, thank you
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:17 pm

Apple Pay for PASMO using my Chase Sapphire Reserve keeps declining the charge.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:19 pm

Yes, see the notes above about non-japanese VISAs not working currently (broken since august 5th), hence using the Apple Card for the moment.

There is some new security stuff going on behind the scenes at visa due to some scams that were happening earlier in the year. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Yeah it's annoying. Latest news it that it definitely appears to be on the visa side - some kind of new security layer being worked in due to the scams that were being run earlier this year? Hopefully they get it sorted soon.

1st choice: CSR (or chase ink biz) for 3x UR points for travel on pasmo
2nd choice: apple card (mastercard based) for 2% cashback (on any apple pay transaction) on suica/pasmo
3rd choice: wifey's CSP for 2x UR points for travel on pasmo

What are other good cards to consider for this spend? Amex biz blue unfortunately has a FTF so it's out.

https://atadistance.net/all-about-ap...uica-recharge/
The BofA travel rewards or premium rewards card if you have Preferred Rewards
THECLIPPERS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.