Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD-JPY Exchange Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Any thoughts on which way the yen will go in the near future and why?
Higher interest rates in the US increase demand for the dollar, making it stronger.

Without a parallel rise in Japan, which is long overdue, the yen will continue to slide.

I've personally stocked up for an upcoming trip this winter (Japan is largely a cash culture anyway), as I suspect once tourists are permitted back in, there will be a short period of "euphoria" and JPY will temporally rise on the prospect of tourism rescuing the economy.
pudgym29 and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Yen is up since the last interest rate increase last week. I'm hoping for it to go down even more.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Yen is up since the last interest rate increase last week. I'm hoping for it to go down even more.
Up slightly because the US interest rate rise was priced in earlier, and with the removal of uncertainty after it was made official, JPY rose very slightly.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:01 pm

Testing 140 baby!

Now if Pasmo/Suica/Apple would just get their recharge situation sorted...
THECLIPPERS likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pesos
Testing 140 baby!

Are iPhone-based suicas having a recharge problem? I was considering filling up mine while it's so cheap. I believe 20,000 yen is the max allowed to fill up right?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:31 pm

yes on the 20k max for any single pasmo/suica card.

recharging via apple wallet (apple pay) has been broken for non-japanese visa credit cards (some visa-connected debit cards are fine) since August 5th. Anecdotal evidence (including my own experience) is that US/canada amexes work fine for both, and that many Mastercards are now working again, but visas are down for both still. Fingerpointing still going on between pasmo/suica and apple. My buddy's european visa card works inside the pasmo app itself but mine (chase sapphire reserve) is not accepted, so that is not a workaround for all.

I always keep two full pasmo cards (phone and watch) but I eventually ran down and had to recharge using my Apple Card (mastercard-based), so at least I get 2% back on it but the 3x on the sapphire reserve would be preferable.

periodic updates here: Apple Pay Suica • PASMO Recharge – Ata Distance
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:42 pm

yes on the 20k max for any single pasmo/suica card.

recharging via apple wallet (apple pay) has been broken for non-japanese visa credit cards (some visa-connected debit cards are fine) since August 5th. Anecdotal evidence (including my own experience) is that US/canada amexes work fine for both, and that many Mastercards are now working again, but visas are down for both still. Fingerpointing still going on between pasmo/suica and apple. My buddy's european visa card works inside the pasmo app itself but mine (chase sapphire reserve) is not accepted, so that is not a workaround for all.

I always keep two full pasmo cards (phone and watch) but I eventually ran down and had to recharge using my Apple Card (mastercard-based), so at least I get 2% back on it but the 3x on the sapphire reserve would be preferable.

periodic updates here: Apple Pay Suica • PASMO Recharge – Ata Distance
Thanks, I'll test with my visa then fill with my Amex if it doesn't work.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:53 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
but the 3x on the sapphire reserve would be preferable.
According to post #55 above by Ainternational, PASMO now codes as "Communications - Cable & Internet Comm" so you won't get 3x on the CSR card. I'll have to try recharging it using my Chase Ink Business Cash card, which gives 5x on Cable & Internet.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
According to post #55 above by Ainternational, PASMO now codes as "Communications - Cable & Internet Comm" so you won't get 3x on the CSR card. I'll have to try recharging it using my Chase Ink Business Cash card, which gives 5x on Cable & Internet.
Don’t think that is correct, seeing as how I’ve been coding as travel solid up until the Aug 5th cutoff. Perhaps that is a different provider/card

and/or not being done through Apple Pay so it differs? As you can see from my screenshots it’s travel…. Lmk what you get on the inkbiz as I have that as well (but I’m fairly certain it will code as travel through Apple Pay as well since it’s chase)… which will still get 3x…
YariGuy and seigex like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:07 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Don’t think that is correct, seeing as how I’ve been coding as travel solid up until the Aug 5th cutoff. Perhaps that is a different provider/card and/or not being done through Apple Pay so it differs? As you can see from my screenshots it’s travel…. Lmk what you get on the inkbiz as I have that as well (but I’m fairly certain it will code as travel through Apple Pay as well since it’s chase)… which will still get 3x…
I have also both cards, so it doesn't much matter to me, but I'll try recharging it in the next week or so and let you know how it codes.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I have also both cards, so it doesn't much matter to me, but I'll try recharging it in the next week or so and let you know how it codes.
you are optimistic my friend - I have no confidence the Apple Pay issue will be resolved by then
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Testing 140 baby!

If 140 yen = US$ 1.00 keeps up till end of October, then I will be a happy person. Of course, I will take 150 yen = US$ 1.00 any time.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If 140 yen = US$ 1.00 keeps up till end of October, then I will be a happy person. Of course, I will take 150 yen = US$ 1.00 any time.
I think you have a very good chance, with the Feds remaining hawkish with increasing interest rates and bringing more strength to the dollar and with Bank of Japan remaining dovish and happy to keep their rates in the negative resulting in a weakened Yen with no signs anytime soon of either slowing down I would expect the rate to stay above 140 and push towards 150.

Not financial advise just my observations
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:02 am

So yen briefly tested 146 yen/usd and I was able to fill up 2 electronic suica cards (20k yen each) in my apple pay, but am considering filling up a couple more while yen is still so cheap. At minimum I can request a refund and convert the yen back to USD to make a little money.

But, has anyone had any issues with multiple suica cards on a single account?

I'll have no problem spending 60k or 80k yen while I'm in japan in November, even with it on SUICA.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
So yen briefly tested 146 yen/usd and I was able to fill up 2 electronic suica cards (20k yen each) in my apple pay, but am considering filling up a couple more while yen is still so cheap. At minimum I can request a refund and convert the yen back to USD to make a little money.

But, has anyone had any issues with multiple suica cards on a single account?

I'll have no problem spending 60k or 80k yen while I'm in japan in November, even with it on SUICA.
I have 3 Suica cards and one pasmo on my phone and one Suica and one pasmo on my watch right now. Good idea about loading up - I should have done that when it peaked a couple days ago but I was focused on finalizing a large cycling gear buy here instead that I saved nearly $3,000 usd on. Good times!
THECLIPPERS and seigex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.