Reload this Page >

USD-JPY Exchange Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD-JPY Exchange Rate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by pesos
Not sure if that's true; have been trying to get some clarity around it
https://ty-tax-accountant.com/en/arc..._on_Remittance
Just make sure you have no income the year you transfer all your money to Japan!

Schwab bank account - which requires you to have an investment account (but no minimum amount invested). Best way to get ATM funds internationally that I've come across - looking forward to grabbing my card next month!
new_places likes this.

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Are you referring to a Schwab investment account or does this account have anything to do with Amex Schwab co-branded Platinum card? Just curious as it sounds like a good way to access US cash funds by ATM with no fee, is that correct?
Schwab Bank high yield checking account. It's free, no foreign transaction fee, they reimburse 100% of atm fees from other banks and don't charge any of their own, and they give a really good rate. Best bank account for international travel. I use it in any country I travel to to withdraw local currency.
Nagasaki Joe and new_places like this.

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Just make sure you have no income the year you transfer all your money to Japan!
No income anywhere from any source in any country? Including capital gains?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Are you referring to a Schwab investment account or does this account have anything to do with Amex Schwab co-branded Platinum card? Just curious as it sounds like a good way to access US cash funds by ATM with no fee, is that correct?
You just need a Schwab account. No Amex needed.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:00 am

No income anywhere from any source in any country? Including capital gains?
I need to do more research on this. Thanks for the headache or potential savings!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:01 am

Very curious what you find out.
THECLIPPERS likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:14 am

Very curious what you find out.
here is the response from my accountant friend in Japan.

Me: Would I have to pay any tax in Japan if I transferred $1 million to my Japanese bank account?

Accountant: No. Japan is very friendly about incoming and outgoing fund transfers. I think anything over ¥30M requires a separate notification to Bank if Japan. But, it’s just a simple notification about the nature of funds. In your case, transfer of personal savings.

Please do your own research, but this is what my friend told me who has been living in Japan for 30 years and is an accountant.
pesos likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:15 am

I will be flying to Tokyo tomorrow night and meeting with my banker at Prestia so I will ask some questions to her in the next week.
pudgym29, pesos and seigex like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My MCs from two different US banks are failing for PASMO reload. Sad as one has a travel bonus. They are working fine for Suica. Very odd as I thought the MC issues had been resolved.

Not really planning to hedge money in IC cards though but I actually am going to Japan next week so I guess I won’t be getting any good bonus on IC card spend.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
My MCs from two different US banks are failing for PASMO reload. Sad as one has a travel bonus. They are working fine for Suica. Very odd as I thought the MC issues had been resolved.

Not really planning to hedge money in IC cards though but I actually am going to Japan next week so I guess I won’t be getting any good bonus on IC card spend.
that is odd - Apple Card working fine here for both pasmo/Suica.

if you are an iPhone user I highly recommend picking up the Apple Card - takes all of a few minutes; done right on the phone (no need for physical card but you can order one if you like)
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
that is odd - Apple Card working fine here for both pasmo/Suica.

if you are an iPhone user I highly recommend picking up the Apple Card - takes all of a few minutes; done right on the phone (no need for physical card but you can order one if you like)
I have the USBank Altitude Reserve which earns 4.5% on all Apple Pay so I’ve never needed Apple Card. Thanks for the DP though. Thing is the 2% cash back is not really any better to me than just earning one AMEX MR on any of my AMEX cards.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I have the USBank Altitude Reserve which earns 4.5% on all Apple Pay so I’ve never needed Apple Card. Thanks for the DP though. Thing is the 2% cash back is not really any better to me than just earning one AMEX MR on any of my AMEX cards.
that’s great! Will have to check out that card. I still value 2% cash higher than one MR but not by a whole lot - but have a huge amR cache at the moment so not sweating it too much. UR cache is dwindling though!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
that’s great! Will have to check out that card. I still value 2% cash higher than one MR but not by a whole lot - but have a huge amR cache at the moment so not sweating it too much. UR cache is dwindling though!
It's a great card. You get a $325 travel credit as well to over most of the annual fees.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:37 pm

Ok the altitude reserve card isn’t objectively 4.5%… it’s 3x points just like the CSR - but nice that it’s on all mobile pay and not just travel… however those altitude points don’t look to me to be nearly as valuable as MR/UR as there aren’t any transfer partners. Are there impressive redemptions you’ve found with them? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.