FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I believe JL staff at NRT will scramble to make arrangements- overnight in a room with a guard or let you check into a nearby hotel with strict instruction to return in the AM. (ie give you an overnight visa?)

This just based on prior posts.

I also wonder what happens if a flight is delayed at HNL such that they know, BEFORE you board, that you will misconnect...will then refuse you at HNL?
I suppose the latter is possible; if their systems of course flag up that there literally is no other way for me to get out of Japan (My flight arrives at 4pm, so there are many other ways to get out, just only one that I'm booked on). Assuming the HA flight often arrives early (20-30 mins), do you think a 1h55 connection in NRT is "safe". I previously had a 6- hour, but the onward flight was canceled, assumedly due to Japan's present restrictions.

Further question... Is there additional security to connect (HA to JL Int'l) flying from the US? Or, is it just a matter of walking to the next gate. Any priority for C/J pax?

Last edited by MDTyKe; Jul 29, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Note that I was 'wondering' about that latter point...

I have a booking in 2 weeks: SFO>NRT>CGK... all JL. Similar connection time. Not much choice. (and had an MH flight, NRT-KUL, that was cancelled)
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Question. So, flying HA (HNL-NRT) with 1h55 layover NRT to connect to NRT-CGK (JL); 1h55 connection. Both. I believe, are T2 NRT.

Let's say HA flight is delayed. There are no later options; and I cannot overnight in JP (if current rules persist). What happens in this scenario? Has anyone had the joy of this experience?
I assume this is a single ticket, so JL knows to expect you?

Coming from the US, there are no transit security check, JL probably needs less than 30 minutes of time to rush you from plane to plane if needs be. And generally they are good at holding the flights to make sure the connections are made possible. There are very few reports of people actually missing flights.

The best possible option, or rather least annoying option, is that they allow you to remain in the terminal overnight, as the terminal closes overnight, and there are no real sleeping facilities it is probably going to be pretty bare bones office/restricted space somewhere.

Other options are that they send you back with HA to HNL, or if there are several hours of delay even before departure, they may deny you boarding.
​​​​​​Overnight visas, with an exception for Taiwan, does not exist at the moment.
Exec_Plat likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I assume this is a single ticket, so JL knows to expect you?

Coming from the US, there are no transit security check, JL probably needs less than 30 minutes of time to rush you from plane to plane if needs be. And generally they are good at holding the flights to make sure the connections are made possible. There are very few reports of people actually missing flights.

The best possible option, or rather least annoying option, is that they allow you to remain in the terminal overnight, as the terminal closes overnight, and there are no real sleeping facilities it is probably going to be pretty bare bones office/restricted space somewhere.

Other options are that they send you back with HA to HNL, or if there are several hours of delay even before departure, they may deny you boarding.
​​​​​​Overnight visas, with an exception for Taiwan, does not exist at the moment.
Single ticket, yes. I'd hope that should the connection be tighter, that JL would make efforts to get me to the next gate as soon as possible, and out of their country - God forbid the people of Japan get subjected to cooties from the US.

So, US (HA) connecting to Int'l (JL) will have no transit security.. just assumedly a possible document check, and then onward to gate?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Single ticket, yes. I'd hope that should the connection be tighter, that JL would make efforts to get me to the next gate as soon as possible, and out of their country - God forbid the people of Japan get subjected to cooties from the US.

So, US (HA) connecting to Int'l (JL) will have no transit security.. just assumedly a possible document check, and then onward to gate?
No need to feel particularly singled out, this not only applies to US cooties, but to those from the rest of the world as well....
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:49 pm

No need to feel particularly singled out, this not only applies to US cooties, but to those from the rest of the world as well....
True. In this case, say the inbound HA HNL-NRT flight is delayed... so it'd be very likely that I'd miss my 6pm flight out of NRT. Would I possibly even be refused boarding in HNL, or would they (JL) even so much as attempt to auto-rebook me (e.g. on one of the later departures out of NRT say, to BKK)... My understanding is that kind of thing usually happens *after* departure - in normal circumstances at least.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True. In this case, say the inbound HA HNL-NRT flight is delayed... so it'd be very likely that I'd miss my 6pm flight out of NRT. Would I possibly even be refused boarding in HNL, or would they (JL) even so much as attempt to auto-rebook me (e.g. on one of the later departures out of NRT say, to BKK)... My understanding is that kind of thing usually happens *after* departure - in normal circumstances at least.
These are not entirely normal circumstances. If you have 2-4 hours delay out of HNL, they would likely keep you there, as the delay is probably impossible to recover. And rebook you for the next day.
​​​​​Otherwise, they will try to deal with it in Tokyo. If you are OK to go to Bangkok or another destination, check what options are OK with you, and be prepared when you talk to JAL in Narita. They are as interested as you are in getting you on a connection flight from Narita.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
since US citizens can't enter Japan, what happens if connection at Narita is delayed?

FYI.

Excellent advice by CPH about irrops. Know options and what you would like (or can tolerate) BEFORE you even get to the agents.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Hoping someone can help, wondering if it's allowed to somehow transit on separate flight tickets with a checked bag same day from ICN-NRT (economy with Korean Air) - 4 hour gap - then NRT-LAX (first with Japan Airlines) in August?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roycechips309
Hoping someone can help, wondering if it's allowed to somehow transit on separate flight tickets with a checked bag same day from ICN-NRT (economy with Korean Air) - 4 hour gap - then NRT-LAX (first with Japan Airlines) in August?
Only if KE has an interline agreement with JL and, is so, if the KE ICN agent knows this and agrees to check your bags thru. Absent an interline agreement, it won't work.
Do you really need to check bags?
roycechips309 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Only if KE has an interline agreement with JL and, is so, if the KE ICN agent knows this and agrees to check your bags thru. Absent an interline agreement, it won't work.
Interline agreement in and by itself is bad indicator. BA has an interline agreement with AA, but also has a policy of no luggage checked through across separate tickets.

Korean and JAL has a code share operation on the Korea Japan routes. So there is also an interline agreement for sure. But a question for the Korean airlines forum, how does KE handle luggage across tickets?
SFO777 and roycechips309 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:10 pm

Interline agreement in and by itself is bad indicator. BA has an interline agreement with AA, but also has a policy of no luggage checked through across separate tickets.

Korean and JAL has a code share operation on the Korea Japan routes. So there is also an interline agreement for sure. But a question for the Korean airlines forum, how does KE handle luggage across tickets?

If you were flying the ICN-NRT route on a JAL ticket / KE metal; it will be fine. Myself and another member have done the same thing recently.
roycechips309 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777

Originally Posted by cdizzle11
If you were flying the ICN-NRT route on a JAL ticket / KE metal; it will be fine. Myself and another member have done the same thing recently.
Thank you so much to all three! I have to check a bag due to size with liquids and worried
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by minizian
Quick question, if I were to book a KUL>NRT>KUL within the same day (Arrive into NRT and leave within the same day) for mile running purpose, would I get into trouble where Check in desk in KUL will deny me as visa-free travel is non existent currently. I believed my trip would be treated as Tokyo bound pax instead being transit to 3rd country? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also will KUL ground staff print out the NRT>KUL boarding pass (assuming above went well during check in)?

I would be flying JL for this purpose if this info helps. Also will be only doing hand luggage.

**Edit: Reading through older post it seems like this is not possible, is it still the same of now???**
**If so would KUL>BKK>NRT>KUL routing workable with them under the same ticket?**
Just to update. Did the actual trip KULL>BKK (with MH) then >NRT>KUL in JL routing.
Had some queries at BKK check in counter which escalated to more senior personal onboard but then once ticket issued no further question while boarding in NRT.

Tried to asked JL BKK manager about the possibility of KUL>NRT>KUL routing but answered given was vague at best (At least the KUL folks did check with their internal helpdesk who said its okay but there no black and white to back it up).

Overall good flights, just a pity NRT is now so quiet around 9-11am as opposed to being super crowded in 2019.

Likewise flight load was much lower too. Plenty of transit pax which i am certain contributed by strict transit rule in TPE and HKG.
seigex likes this.

Last edited by minizian; Jul 31, 2022 at 7:36 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:50 am

Both flights are operated by JAL.

When you arrive in Haneda, you have to go through immigration, reclaim luggage, and pass customs. There is a transfer check in desk at the international terminal, but you will likely be too late for the cut off, but with or without luggage you'd have to take the bus or train to T1. Last cut for passing security at T1 is 20 minutes before departure. Even with JAL sending staff to assist you, that is an ambitious connection in my view.

As a resident using the automated immigration lanes when they were in operations I would normally say 25 to 30 minutes from landing until passing customs with luggage. As a non resident, that is bound to take longer. But even by passing all lines with the help of JAL, it probably can't be quicker.

(and a pet peeve, Haneda is HND, Tokyo for all airports is TYO. After some googling, TKO is a gravel strip airfield in Lesotho)
Many thanks. I suspected the connection process was going to be as described and justify my anxiety.

I'm always a bit nervy about connections anyway, but particularly going from international to internal from a bad experience.

How long would you suggest is realistic? Personally I'd not want anything less than 3 hours.

Apologies on the TKO .... That was probably me introducing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.