FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:11 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Question. So, flying HA (HNL-NRT) with 1h55 layover NRT to connect to NRT-CGK (JL); 1h55 connection. Both. I believe, are T2 NRT.

Let's say HA flight is delayed. There are no later options; and I cannot overnight in JP (if current rules persist). What happens in this scenario? Has anyone had the joy of this experience?
I assume this is a single ticket, so JL knows to expect you?

Coming from the US, there are no transit security check, JL probably needs less than 30 minutes of time to rush you from plane to plane if needs be. And generally they are good at holding the flights to make sure the connections are made possible. There are very few reports of people actually missing flights.

The best possible option, or rather least annoying option, is that they allow you to remain in the terminal overnight, as the terminal closes overnight, and there are no real sleeping facilities it is probably going to be pretty bare bones office/restricted space somewhere.

Other options are that they send you back with HA to HNL, or if there are several hours of delay even before departure, they may deny you boarding.
​​​​​​Overnight visas, with an exception for Taiwan, does not exist at the moment.