Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Just out of curiosity who got their free money from the goverment yet ?

I did the application online on the first evening applications opened with my iPhone and the furikomi dropped today!

For once joined up digital Japanese government working!
Old May 14, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I haven't even gotten my application yet (don't have a MyNumber card, so can't do online)
Don't need it with any particular urgency anyway.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mrploddy

I did the application online on the first evening applications opened with my iPhone and the furikomi dropped today!

Hopefully you didn't do it more than once.... I hear you get it more than once, so now they're doing them all manually. Digital government, and all. :P
Old May 15, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9 new cases in Tokyo today, 15 May, 2020 . First time below 10 new cases per day since March 21, 2020.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 21, 2020 at 5:45 pm Reason: fixed formatting
Old May 15, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
9 new cases in Tokyo today, 15 May, 2020 . First time below 10 new cases per day since March 21, 2020.
And more importantly, the number of days between perfect squares is cycling down to zero in a modified Fibonacci sequence.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 21, 2020 at 5:45 pm Reason: fixed formatting in quote
Old May 15, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
And more importantly, the number of days between perfect squares is cycling down to zero in a modified Fibonacci sequence.
I see one day between perfect squares. Zero days would be some kind of Groundhog Day scenario ... which, come to think of it, is how this feels.
lobsterdog likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
I see one day between perfect squares. Zero days would be some kind of Groundhog Day scenario ... which, come to think of it, is how this feels.
That's only because you're looking at cases per non-overlapping 24 hour periods with arbitrary and start and end times.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
That's only because you're looking at cases per non-overlapping 24 hour periods with arbitrary and start and end times.
Pardon me, I missed vedic cosmology 101.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I for one, am enjoying this dissection of the daily number entrails. Very auspicious.

Still seeing a lot of random stuff temporarily unavailable on Amazon.co.jp, but they seem to getting restock to fulfill my order. Shipping times seem to be about normal from Amazon, however DHL is routing TYO-HKG-CVG, whereas before it was nonstop TYO-US.
freecia likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by mrploddy

Reset my MyNumber passwords (because I forgot them when I set them up years ago) at city hall the other day, and put my application in online just last night. I was incredibly surprised at how smooth the process was, and how polished the web portal was compared to how I usually expect interfacing with government websites to go (looking at you, IRS).

Based on your timeline, looks like it's about a 2 week process to get the deposit after applying, so I guess I'll look forward to seeing that at the end of the month.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:05 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Reset my MyNumber passwords (because I forgot them when I set them up years ago) at city hall the other day, and put my application in online just last night. I was incredibly surprised at how smooth the process was, and how polished the web portal was compared to how I usually expect interfacing with government websites to go (looking at you, IRS).

Based on your timeline, looks like it's about a 2 week process to get the deposit after applying, so I guess I'll look forward to seeing that at the end of the month.
All good but without a chip reader attached to your PC online application is not possible. Surely no more than a tiny fraction of those eligible have this set up.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The Diamond Princess has finally left Yokohama, on its way to Malaysia.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...433121000.html

All cruises planned up to October 1st have been canceled.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by mjm
All good but without a chip reader attached to your PC online application is not possible. Surely no more than a tiny fraction of those eligible have this set up.
If you have any of these phones, you can just do the application off your phone since it’s capable of reading your MyNumber card. There’s a decent number of handsets here. Did it off my iPhone.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:32 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mizunara
If you have any of these phones, you can just do the application off your phone since it’s capable of reading your MyNumber card. There’s a decent number of handsets here. Did it off my iPhone.
Well I got almost all the way through that and was thinking that you are a superstar but then I got to the part where it wanted a digital signature of 6 to 16 characters and I don’t have one nor do I see any way to set one on the application.

It says we would have set one when I received it but that’s complete nonsense because there was never any process for that. I walked in to the Ward Office, showed ID and they handed me my card. That is all. Of course this was at the beginning of the My Number issuance so maybe I need to do that retroactively.

Hint? Tip?

Last edited by mjm; May 16, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old May 16, 2020, 2:21 pm

My folks finally just received the Abenomasks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.