Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by mjm
Well I got almost all the way through that and was thinking that you are a superstar but then I got to the part where it wanted a digital signature of 6 to 16 characters and I don’t have one nor do I see any way to set one on the application.

It says we would have set one when I received it but that’s complete nonsense because there was never any process for that. I walked in to the Ward Office, showed ID and they handed me my card. That is all. Of course this was at the beginning of the My Number issuance so maybe I need to do that retroactively.

Hint? Tip?
電子証明書パスワード, right? You’re gonna have to pop by your ward office to set that, unfortunately. That’s what I had to do the other day too. Resetting your password requires your 4-digit PIN at the ward office, but it seems like you know that number at least.

The other use for that password is for authorizing use of your credentials if you’re, say, printing out a certificate of residence at the conbini. Apparently you can also do some other online applications that utilize it, but I’ve only ever used it for the 10 man.

Sorry about the trouble. I’ll settle for a regular “star” as a title in exchange, though.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:40 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mizunara
電子証明書パスワード, right? You’re gonna have to pop by your ward office to set that, unfortunately. That’s what I had to do the other day too. Resetting your password requires your 4-digit PIN at the ward office, but it seems like you know that number at least.

The other use for that password is for authorizing use of your credentials if you’re, say, printing out a certificate of residence at the conbini. Apparently you can also do some other online applications that utilize it, but I’ve only ever used it for the 10 man.

Sorry about the trouble. I’ll settle for a regular “star” as a title in exchange, though.
Thank you for the confirmation on that and that will just be part of one of my walks this week so not a major ordeal. I can pop in and pop out quickly doing that.

Absolutely a full on star for this one because I had no idea that I could use my phone when it really should’ve occurred to me at the beginning so thank you very very much.
Mizunara likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Tokyo down to five today. Osaka down to zero. The remaining epicenters of the current outbreak seem to be Yokohama and Sapparo.

Last edited by hailstorm; May 17, 2020 at 5:07 am
Old May 17, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Tokyo down to five today. Osaka down to zero. The remaining epicenters of the current outbreak seem to be Yokohama and Sendai.
Sendai? What's happening up there? I didn't think they'd seen a case since April.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Tokyo down to five today. Osaka down to zero. The remaining epicenters of the current outbreak seem to be Yokohama and Sendai.
5 needles in a haystack the size of Tokyo!

Hey wait, it’s somewhat comparable to 6/49 chances! I wonder how they found these five (un)lucky folks!
Old May 17, 2020, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Sendai? What's happening up there? I didn't think they'd seen a case since April.
Brain fart. Rewrote as "Sapporo".
Old May 17, 2020, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
5 needles in a haystack the size of Tokyo!
Hey wait, it’s somewhat comparable to 6/49 chances! I wonder how they found these five (un)lucky folks!
I think it's closer to fish in a barrel than it is to needles in a haystack. They either presented with symptoms or were identified by their contact history. Hope it's the latter because then we're really interrupting chains of transmission.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's closer to fish in a barrel than it is to needles in a haystack. They either presented with symptoms or were identified by their contact history. Hope it's the latter because then we're really interrupting chains of transmission.
Yes, all five had extended exposure to other known cases. There were zero cases of unknown origin today.
jib71 likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Originally Posted by mjm
Thank you for the confirmation on that and that will just be part of one of my walks this week so not a major ordeal. I can pop in and pop out quickly doing that.

Absolutely a full on star for this one because I had no idea that I could use my phone when it really should’ve occurred to me at the beginning so thank you very very much.
That's weird I was pretty quick off the mark on applying for mine and when I went to pick it up they made me go through and set 2 pins and a password. It's part of the issuance process.

I had to do this also when I got permanent residency - they needed me to enter my pin / password so they could extend the validity of the digital certificate on the chip.

I would probably say majority of the applications will be done on smartphones but it seems a bit clunky to me havving to swap to and from the website and the app where you authneticate the card.

Once you complete you get a confirmation email then probably the next day you get a confirmation that your city hall has received the details. As long as there is no errors you'll get the money soon ish. My city hall says quite specifically you can't call about status - they will send a letter if you screw up.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:45 am

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XsExa8b-uF0

Just a note I saw this - it looks like us FT'ers in Japan are going to be here for the long haul
Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi told a news conference Friday that border control measures would be eased for business travelers and experts first. Motegi noted, however, that such a relaxation will not come anytime soon for other people, including tourists.
Old May 17, 2020, 7:27 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mrploddy
That's weird I was pretty quick off the mark on applying for mine and when I went to pick it up they made me go through and set 2 pins and a password. It's part of the issuance process.
It was not part of the process in Meguro a couple years ago when I received mine.

I had to do this also when I got permanent residency - they needed me to enter my pin / password so they could extend the validity of the digital certificate on the chip.
Hmmm, I guess yours is newer as that was not necessary when I had my passport stamped years ago. Switching to the new Residency Card did not entail anything more than a photo an updated application. Perhaps in a couple years when I renew the card, but not yet.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:20 am

Just a note I saw this - it looks like us FT'ers in Japan are going to be here for the long haul
I don't see why. Everyone on FT seems to be an expert.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I don't see why. Everyone on FT seems to be an expert.
_Is_ an expert.

David
Old May 18, 2020, 12:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Yes, all five had extended exposure to other known cases. There were zero cases of unknown origin today.
But I mean we've been over this and it's basically impossible to get voluntarily tested in Japan, irrespective of how bad your state is, isn't it? So how did they manage to get through??
Old May 18, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by mjm
It was not part of the process in Meguro a couple years ago when I received mine.

Hmmm, I guess yours is newer as that was not necessary when I had my passport stamped years ago. Switching to the new Residency Card did not entail anything more than a photo an updated application. Perhaps in a couple years when I renew the card, but not yet.
I was referring to the My Number Card.

When I first got the My Number Card I was still on a spouse visa so the expiry date was linked to the expiry of my visa.

I got my new Residency Card and hopped over to town hall to go through update procedures with them and as part of that rather than issuing me a new my number card they exptended my current one to the full 10 years.

This mean renewing the certificate on the chip to extend it out to the full 10 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.