Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then why doesn't someone write an app for ambulance drivers that shows the nearest suitable hospital that is accepting patients
Because the hospital determines whether or not to admit the patient based on individual patient circumstances? It's not just like you're flipping a "Vacancy/No Vacancy" sign.

Originally Posted by jib71
I think 5k uses it mainly to prevent chafing.
That reminds me, Last Tango in Paris was an excellent movie.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
I think 5k uses it mainly to prevent chafing.
Only when we I’m visiting a sheep farm.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been butter problems since mid last decade. The fluid milk and particular butter and cheese markets are highly protected and this has skewed production in the country. The tariffs are high on imported butter to protect the producers. This is not the first time nor the last until the tariffs fall, sometime later this decade. Also there has been a huge increase in people with time on their hands who are baking. This has also impacted the flour market. It's the new toilet paper panic. I was just by the Seijo and Natural Lawson and both had butter from multiple countries not that it helps you wherever you might be.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I was just by the Seijo and Natural Lawson and both had butter from multiple countries not that it helps you wherever you might be.
Thank you! Have both nearby so, will check them out. I'm in Osaka/Kobe area.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nishimark
Thank you! Have both nearby so, will check them out. I'm in Osaka/Kobe area.
You might also check out Jupiter, Kaldi, TOMIZ?CUOCA etc. They were selling Snow Brand, Calpis, Echire etc. branded butter at Seijo and Natural Lawson .
Old May 13, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I don't know if it's because hospitals don't accept the patients or because the ambulances spend too much time apologising at every intersection that their blaring sirens are on and they can be heard from six blocks away, and yet they still make sure nobody T-bones them (or, there's traffic, and not ONE car moves to let them through).
This has to be one of the weirdest social customs in Japan.
cruisr likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The youngest victim of the Coronavirus to die is a sekitori from Takadagawa stable, 28-year-old Kiyotaka Suetake who wrestled as Shobushi. It is very sad to think of his last three weeks, isolated and alone, without contact from his family, stablemates, or other friends.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...s-coronavirus/
Old May 13, 2020, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's shocking that major public hospitals in a system with public health care/insurance aren't forced to take a sick person. I could perhaps understand a small community hospital feeling unprepared to deal with a COVID-19 patient or if the health care system were totally overwhelmed, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on numbers of cases. It also doesn't seem to make sense to transfer someone a day after admission to a university hospital, which should be prepared to deal with severe cases.
Originally Posted by 5khours
But this has always been the norm. I read somewhere that your odds of survival when transported by ambulance for major trauma, heart attack or strokes was less than 20% of the survival rate in the U.S.
This type of practice may have been prevalent in Jpn, but it’s gotten even more out of control with Coronavirus. News reports are saying there’s 5x as many taraimawashi (refusing to accept patients, or patient dumping) these last couple months compared to the same period last year. There was the story of a Covid patient in Tokyo who was turned down by 110 hospitals and clinics.

I don’t understand the system where hospitals can just get away with this. I don’t know if it’s due to lack of effective regulation or lack of ER type setup or what. Of course USA has its own issues with healthcare costs and disparity. But this type of access issue is not acceptable.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found a great way to get attention during my most acute health crisis in Japan: I wandered into a hospital and threw up on the floor. The staff did everything for me from that point onward...
cruisr likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
It had to happen and I was expecting it and I am still sad. My JL flight in F is cancelled for next month. In fact it seems both of the JFK-HND are gone from the website and only connections are available with a combination of AA and JL. I checked expertflyer and both of the JL flights are zeroed out for all classes. Miles are already back in my AA account and I will now start cancelling all the free nights I had at the Conrad Osaka and the Hilton Tokyo. I already xld all my Hokkaido hotel reservations.

Now I have to text my friend in Tokyo and tell him we are not coming, though since he is in the hotel industry in Tokyo, I am pretty sure he knew that already.

Our return was booked thru BA and is not until Mid July so I will have to wait a bit to see what becomes of that one.

Ugggg I was happily burning a lot of miles and points on this trip and now all my accounts have tons of miles and nowhere to go.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I found a great way to get attention during my most acute health crisis in Japan: I wandered into a hospital and threw up on the floor. The staff did everything for me from that point onward...
Really. I do that too.... but it's usually in a bar.
Fliar likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:00 pm

I haven’t puked in 30yrs.
nishimark likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by evergrn
I haven’t puked in 30yrs.
You haven't lived!
Old May 14, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
You would be surprised at the state of Emergency Health Care in Japan.

I was involved in a RTA and had a major fracture just above my elbow on the left arm. This was at 5:30am approximately.

- The first hospital was only a small hospital - not even sure why they accepted me as they were not setup to deal with trauma - got x-rayed and told to sling my hook to a bigger hospital.
- The second hospital said I might have to wait till nearly dinnertime to get seen.
- The third hospital FINALLY made moves to start sorting me out but they couldn't get me in for surgery till 1 week after. I had to wait circa 5 hours to get pain killers - I FINALLY got let home at just before dinnertime.
- I then spent a VERY uncomfortable week at home virtually not sleeping with a busted arm in a splint - I can't tell you how horrid it feels to feel bones moving inside your arm.

If this had been the UK I'm reasonably sure I would have bee admitted the same day and been lined up for surgery within 24 hours to get it sorted but I was basically told "as the bone isn't poking out of your arm you're not a priority case"
Old May 14, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only is today's total in Tokyo a multiple of three, it's exactly three times higher than yesterday's total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.