Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 10:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by evergrn
No Abenomasks received yet by any of my family/relatives I talk to regularly, all of whom live in Kanto.

They spent 450oku on something absolutely NO ONE is counting on.
Except Abe’s friends and relatives back home around the factory that makes them. Those most certainly ARE counting on something.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Abenomasks received yet by any of my family/relatives I talk to regularly, all of whom live in Kanto.

They spent 450oku on something absolutely NO ONE is counting on.
No-one needed them.....and now considering they were mostly recalled due to "sanitary" conditions, most don't want them.
They are selling masks by the box full in hidden corners and other strange places, in front closed retail establishments. When you don't look for them they magically appear. There are the places that are giving them out for free , or the 団体 who are making masks and selling them. You can purchase masks from 45rpm and many other Japanese clothing manufacturers. Multi-use , made in Japan, and F#$% the foreign suppliers and their ¥3500 box of 50 paper masks. Hopefully the government will again start squirrelling away masks and other PPE (Made In Japan) for use later on in the year and NOT allow tourists and locals hoard for resale. It is clear that Japan can NOT depend on foreign based suppliers for this type of equipment.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Except Abe’s friends and relatives back home around the factory that makes them. Those most certainly ARE counting on something.
Not to mention Itochu..........
Old May 9, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I thought Hyatt had already introduced peak pricing (i.e. charging more points during times of anticipated high demand, less during times of anticipated low demand) but seems like coronavirus pushed that implementation back to 2021.

Still, once that gets introduced next year, a June off-peak redemption may offer a better points redemption deal than locking in a July reservation at current valuation.
I booked our rooms back in September and they were not peak pricing. I have so many points at the moment that I don’t mind spending more. Can’t go in June bc always big work month for me. Olympics won’t start till 7/23 so we will be out of there by around 7/18.

You were able to get Hyatt award nights in Tokyo right before Olympics this July?

I’m more of a Hilton guy, but I saw zero Hilton standard award anywhere in Tokyo throughout July leading up to the Olympics.

I have a feeling the inventory will not be as crazy next summer. Probably some of the people scheduled to go to the Olympics this summer may not go next summer, and plus not many people will be enticed to book Hotels way ahead of time given the uncertainty with Coronavirus.
Yes. We had two rooms booked for first week of July at Hyatt Regency. Then Enso Ango in Kyoto. Then ended with Grand Hyatt Beijing. All points. The Olympics weren’t schedule till around 7/19 or so, and our flights got us to PEK before that chaos. Mind you, I reserved back in Aug and Sept 2019. I’ll reserve the hotels once I get my flights, almost a year in advance (or as early as I can).
Old May 10, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
You can purchase masks from 45rpm and many other Japanese clothing manufacturers. Multi-use , made in Japan, and F#$% the foreign suppliers and their ¥3500 box of 50 paper masks. Hopefully the government will again start squirrelling away masks and other PPE (Made In Japan) for use later on in the year and NOT allow tourists and locals hoard for resale. It is clear that Japan can NOT depend on foreign based suppliers for this type of equipment.
I saw one of those "these brands are making fabric masks" lists for US and some were horribly fit on the models with huge chin gap. It was more like a face veil than a face mask and probably no better than a bandana tied bandit style around the nose. Anime pantsu thief style might be more effective and scientists actually did a cursory test on bra padding. There needs to be more education on how masks should fit, easy ways to check, and how to properly handle & wash them since masking in US is new to so many people. I was honestly dismayed, sad, and upset that some brands are making such poor fitting masks out of two thin layers of cotton, no option for nose wire or filter pocket, for $5-10+ each. Hopefully well intentioned but poorly researched and designed. I'm glad I can sew and run google translate or I'd be buying some of those Japanese reusable masks for my "Asian fit" face.

Most people I know around here who already had face masks had some from Japan, Taiwan, China, HK, or Korea because of masking culture, construction/DIY, or forest fires. The PM 2.5 insertable disposable filters popped up on Amazon US and eBay after DIY mask instructions appeared in English from bloggers in those countries. I'd also mentioned to friends that I would probably use the nylon pantyhose trick to get a good seal on my mask (if/when) in the office with some fun colored ones if the science proves good. Especially if it helps seal around my nose to avoid glasses fogging since I've never seen the glasses anti-fog foam add-on gadget being sold here. I might order some Zoff pollen glasses, too, as less obtrusive "goggle" which I can apply some anti-fog treatment to for use in higher density environments without worrying about damaging the coating while washing my $$ pairs. I don't think Jins US offers the pollen blocking frames.

Last edited by freecia; May 10, 2020 at 1:53 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 6:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Several posts, including a series about the Ogawasawara Islands, have been deleted. While it is a perfectly reasonable discussion to have, this is not the place for it. Please feel free to start up another thread to keep this one clear for coronavirus news and discussion.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old May 10, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Discussions are to begin to end the emergency declaration for a large number of prefectures with a minimum of infections, which could happen as early as this weekend. Tokyo is not on this list, and will likely remain under the emergency declaration through to the end of the month.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Discussions are to begin to end the emergency declaration for a large number of prefectures with a minimum of infections, which could happen as early as this weekend. Tokyo is not on this list, and will likely remain under the emergency declaration through to the end of the month.
It's interesting that the prefectures that were very vocal about nobody from outside the prefecture (i.e. Gunma) should now come to help support the economy, everyone welcome now!

The bad taste about 県外ナンバー差別 surely doesn't go away THIS quickly though.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:16 pm

In the meantime, a very active discussion going on in the Diet about how ... cold it is in the chambers? ... or wait ... is it about the budget going in the toilet? How about we donate a blanket to the country's budget, that might sort out a good chunk of it.

The tone deafness of the Japanese political elite is so comical I can only watch with uncontained amusement.

[EDIT] it occurred to me that the target of my ire may have been missed - I'm referring to the $2K Louis Vuitton blanket towards the top left, draped over a public-salary'd lawmaker.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; May 11, 2020 at 12:55 am Reason: clarification
Old May 11, 2020, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's your chance to catch up on some episodes of Sazae-san that you've missed over the past 45 years.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ts-production/
Old May 11, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15 or is it 1115 ?
Old May 12, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13 more countries to be added to the no entry list to Japan. "Japan on Tuesday raised its travel alert for 13 countries to its second-highest level, warning against any trips to these areas as new coronavirus infections continue to spread globally.Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi told a news conference that foreign travelers who have been in the 13 nations — which include five South and Central American countries, including Mexico, Uruguay and Colombia — within two weeks of arriving in Japan will be denied entry following the upgraded advisory. The other nations are Maldive, Bahamas, Honduras, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Cape Verde, Gabon, Guinea‐Bissau, Sao Tome and Principe, and Equatorial Guinea."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.Xrsrwi-caqA
Old May 12, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MP
I live in Nanba and work in Umeda, but sometimes have to travel to other sites in Osaka for work.

I have been somewhat surprised that Nanba and Umeda are far quieter than other areas - the other areas are more residential, but random weekday in Senri Chuo had several times the number of people as weekday Umeda and weekend Nanba.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acregal
I live in Nanba and work in Umeda, but sometimes have to travel to other sites in Osaka for work.

I have been somewhat surprised that Nanba and Umeda are far quieter than other areas - the other areas are more residential, but random weekday in Senri Chuo had several times the number of people as weekday Umeda and weekend Nanba.
Yes, isn't it glorious ?
Old May 12, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28-year-old Sandanme level sumo wrestler Shoubushi became the first professional athlete in Japan to die from COVID-19.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...428091000.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.