Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I hope you do not have plans to visit Israel shortly after, because they have introduced travel restrictions - you cannot enter Israel within 14 days of visiting Japan or Korea, unless you are a citizen of Israel.
I believe Thailand requires 14 days of quarantine now as well.

Very few of us are freaking out about the virus itself. It's all the various possible complications associated with it that concern us most.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:50 am
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
I hope you do not have plans to visit Israel shortly after, because they have introduced travel restrictions - you cannot enter Israel within 14 days of visiting Japan or Korea, unless you are a citizen of Israel.
There is almost no coverage in the US. Not a problem here - we are almost completely in the dark.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Today or yesterday, US Department of State has updated their travel advisory for Japan (and Korea for that matter) to Level 2, "Exercise increased caution", which includes a line, "Because older adults and those with chronic medical conditions may be at higher risk for severe disease, people in these groups should discuss travel with a healthcare provider and consider postponing nonessential travel", if that is of relevance to you.
It is, thanks,
Basically at this stage if level 2 is still valid in 6 weeks I will cancel.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Very few of us are freaking out about the virus itself. It's all the various possible complications associated with it that concern us most.
Same here. Entry bans and quarantine requirements are what worry me, because they can impact my travel schedule excessively.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I believe Thailand requires 14 days of quarantine now as well.

Really , TAT has a different opinion , but what do they know ?

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/02/heal...19-infections/
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by hkskyline
All out. Don't expect to be able to find any in stores on arrival.
I found some being sold for 5000 yen for five or 9000 yen for nine. In a shop.

I've got three I bought in the UK and will cycle them so that it's 48 hours between wearings.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by evergrn
That sucks. And we were so sure about 14 days.
I'm not sure I'd consider this a fact unless there's some science behind it beyond the proclamation of some provincial mainland Chinese government officials.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Here we go... a Japanese person who got off the cruise ship having met the criteria for being free (asymptomatic & negative test on the ship) now found to have tested positive 3days later. Her home is Tochigi, and she took public transport home from the ship.
This was completely expected by everyone but Japanese government, and I'm sure there'll be more to come.
Yes, this was inevitable -- lots of evacuated DP pax have been coming down with the virus after leaving the ship with "negative" results. This is completely consistent with the known 14 day incubation period. American experts believe that the virus has been circulating on the ship, possibly through the ventilation system. There's obviously precedent for this with other types of viruses on cruise ships. For reasons that completely boggle the mind, the Japanese didn't want to hear this, and pretended that the pax were actually in a quarantine situation for 14 days -- even though dozens kept coming down with the virus every day! This is the dumbest governmental decision I have ever seen in my life: a completely unforced error.

The good news is that once off the ship, the contagion rate should dramatically slow. The exception might be what's been described as a super-spreader. We have no idea how many of these they are, and if they existed on that ship. The science on this is so far entirely speculative. As long as you don't run into a super-spreader, you're probably not going to contract the virus if you happen to be staying at the same hotel as them, etc (you just wouldn't want to be in a cab with them, or share a meal). So Japan could obviously get lucky and not have a super-spreader incident like what's going on right now in Italy, or it might happen. If you forced me to give "Vegas odds," I would say the likelihood of a massive outbreak from a "released" DP pax is only 20%. It is probable that SOMEONE will catch the virus from someone coming off the boat, but hopefully that will just be a small infection. Good luck, Japan. Partially due to the foolishness of your leaders, you've got an entirely unnecessary problem to deal with.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So when I saw this request by Princess Cruises for a disinfection service, I started thinking of the song "Who Ya Gonna Call, GhostBusters."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-princess.html
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Hi all
Like most, I'm curious about the current situation in Japan with the coronavirus, & I don't mean to take benefit from the outbreak, but I have two questions:
- Are any of you cancelling trips to Japan due to the outbreak? Should we? Or is the situation locally overhyped?
- Should we expect any decrease in accomodation prices due to the decrease of tourism? (Ryokans, and others)

I'm due for a trip to the Kansai region for 3 weeks late April, so obviously alot can happen until then but I haven't book any accomodation yet & I know I'm running late.
Thanks all for your sound advice
Quick note. I have a reservation for the Andaz at the end of March, prime Sakura season. They have now released a stay 3, get 4th night free deal. With that offer, I would save approximately $1000.

EDIT: Unlikely we will be going, but just wanted to share for anyone interested.

Last edited by benjahman; Feb 23, 2020 at 9:15 am
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
So when I saw this request by Princess Cruises for a disinfection service, I started thinking of the song "Who Ya Gonna Call, GhostBusters."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-princess.html
Why can't towels and linens be sterilized rather than disposing of them? Or is this just PR? It's amusing that the RPF refers to Japanese Ministry of Health standards.

A link there goes to an announcement that the Westerdam is cancelling four cruises, through May 10th.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by benjahman
Quick note. I have a reservation for the Andaz at the end of March, prime Sakura season. They have now released a stay 3, get 4th night free deal. With that offer, I would save approximately $1000.

EDIT: Unlikely we will be going, but just wanted to share for anyone interested.
Lots of deals right now to Japan,Delta has 90k miles roundtrip in business class offer.AA has miles tickets wide open in J and F over prime Sakura dates (totally unheard of in the past)
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why can't towels and linens be sterilized rather than disposing of them? Or is this just PR?
Probably more PR than anything. They only say the ones in the staterooms. Crew uses sheets and towels too, are they disposing those? It is just to show that next time you get on the ship, the sheets and towels would be new not touched by virus infected guests....
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: TK Elite
I'm on the new IST-KIX flight April 27th so I'm good for flights just need good hotel deals.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
I'm due to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka with my mom for her retirement trip in two weeks. I just contacted the airline about cancelling the ticket (or issuing future travel credit), but they're having none of it... Multiple people above mentioned (considering) cancelling. Have you worked out the financial side? Are you just going to swallow the costs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.