Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
In other Japan news, the Glibli Museum is closing from tomorrow through March 17

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/027000c
Oh no. I have tickets. Yes, I'll get a refund but I really wanted to see the museum.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Marksound
Seriously questioning whether to continue our holiday from Australia to Japan now. Supposed to be leaving this Saturday for two weeks and the government just updated the warnings to, ''Based on advice from Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, we now recommend you ‘exercise a high degree of caution’ in Japan due to a heightened risk of sustained local transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).'' and "We're not saying 'don't go' to this location. But you should do your research and take extra precautions."

Feeling very conflicted.
I'm in Japan now. If you come here make sure that you have supplies for your precautions as you most likely won't be able to buy anything useful here.

Originally Posted by LapLap
My own assumption is that I will become infected at some point. I don’t see it as an if, but as a where and when.
How much can be controlled or eased, I don’t know. Whether one ends up in the modern administrative equivalent of St Louis in 1918 or Philadelphia at that time, that’s something one might only come to understand in hindsight. Better to be exposed sooner rather than later? Who knows? I certainly do not.
I’ll leave these decisions to those in my circle who are most at risk.

https://www.pnas.org/content/104/18/7582
I'm keeping up my fitness routine. I'm also making sure that my vitamin D levels are good as many people living in northern climes are deficient at this point of the year. However, the research concerning vitamin D status and its effect on respiratory illnesses is highly mixed. Though there is some evidence that severity is worse and length of illness is longer for those who are deficient. But, not strong enough to make me confident that I'm not wasting my effort.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Feb 24, 2020 at 6:36 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: TK Elite
Well alot has happened in the past 24 hours, really hope the situation gets better in Japen...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
”In contrast, at least 19 million people in the U.S. have experienced flu illnesses this season, the CDC estimates. About 180,000 people have been hospitalized so far, and an estimated 10,000 have died.”
So 10000/19000000 gives us a death rate of about 0.05% from the flu.

The death rate of the new coronavirus is currently about 2.5%.

Do you need to see 19 million coronavirus infections take place before you become concerned?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Well alot has happened in the past 24 hours, really hope the situation gets better in Japen...
Speaking as someone currently in Japan, from what I see I believe things are going to get much worse.

Continuing another thread here as advised by a moderator in that closed thread.

Originally Posted by Another Thread
Is it still a good idea to travel to Japan (even though Coronavirus)?
My opinion, for whatever it is worth: no.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Can you (or anyone) post a summary of to what you are referring? Not challenging, just trying to sort out all my information streams that come in at various degrees of lag and are based in various time zones around the world.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by angra
Can you (or anyone) post a summary of to what you are referring? Not challenging, just trying to sort out all my information streams that come in at various degrees of lag and are based in various time zones around the world.
I guess it is status update of new cases
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

P.S. Japan is not scary situation... yet... Iran is - just take infected/death ratio for total, Korea, Japan, other places and then compare it to the same rate for Iran. Will give an idea how many undetected cases are there.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by angra
Well the 12 new cases reported + the raise from level 1 to level 2 from the state department, to cite just 2 additional pieces of information we didn't have 24 hours ago.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XlPdkPVKg2w
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:49 am

Well the 12 new cases reported + the raise from level 1 to level 2 from the state department, to cite just 2 additional pieces of information we didn't have 24 hours ago.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XlPdkPVKg2w
I've seen quite a few people walking around expressing the symptoms of colds/flu. Including people entering the country at the airport. It is most likely that all of these people had relatively benign colds or typical flu. A number of them did not have the masks that would limit spread. Masks are extremely hard to come by so that likely explains things. However, I feel that there is ample possibility for those with the coronavirus but who have a mild case and don't know it to spread it around. These observations combined with news about new cases, cases with no known cause, and the mismanagement of the Diamond Princess cases gives me considerable concern.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm

Do you need to see 19 million coronavirus infections take place before you become concerned?
real mortality rate is unknown but definitely much lower than 2.5% given how many only experience mild symptoms and never get tested.
ainternational likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hailstorm

Honestly I’m not at all concerned. Sure it’s disconcerting to see a 20 something dying from the virus as you harped above, but how many people died today in Tokyo from car accidents, cancer and heart attacks? I just don’t see the need to over sensationalize this like you do, that’s all. It’s one of many ways to pass. Relax! One thing we can agree on (all of us I hope!) is that the only two things we know for sure will come are death and taxes, right? ;-)

Bottom line is, this is scary to many people. I think, personally, that there are A LOT more scary things out there. This is just the star of the moment. So I respect it for what it is but I try to put things in context.

One might argue that one should fear a car accident in Tokyo more than coronavirus in any given day. I’m sure the number of deaths daily is much higher from the former than the latter. But I don’t see many threads with folks giving dire warnings and discouraging travel to the country as a result.

Don’t worry, hailstorm, it’s not your fault. It’s just reality. Life has a way of taking us all in the end. I just don’t worry about it as much as you do I guess. All’s well that ends well. (Read: we all die, but here’s the best news yet - right afterwards, I PROMISE you, you won’t care so much).

Food for thought: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/w...tml?0p19G=7900

Last edited by ainternational; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:15 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:07 am

Honestly I’m not at all concerned. Sure it’s disconcerting to see a 20 something dying from the virus as you harped above, but how many people died today in Tokyo from car accidents, cancer and heart attacks? I just don’t see the need to over sensationalize this like you do, that’s all. It’s one of many ways to pass. Relax! One thing we can agree on (all of us I hope!) is that the only two things we know for sure will come are death and taxes, right? ;-)

Bottom line is, this is scary to many people. I think, personally, that there are A LOT more scary things out there. This is just the star of the moment. So I respect it for what it is but I try to put things in context.

One might argue that one should fear a car accident in Tokyo more than coronavirus in any given day. I’m sure the number of deaths daily is much higher from the former than the latter. But I don’t see many threads with folks giving dire warnings and discouraging travel to the country as a result.

Don’t worry, hailstorm, it’s not your fault. It’s just reality. Life has a way of taking us all in the end. I just don’t worry about it as much as you do I guess. All’s well that ends well. (Read: we all die, but here’s the best news yet - right afterwards, I PROMISE you, you won’t care so much).

Food for thought: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/w...tml?0p19G=7900
The problem with infectious diseases is that the numbers affected can rise exponentially and get to the sharp part of the curve extremely quickly. If we could be confident that the number will not increase dramatically but would remain constant at the current level, then nobody would care. Also, because of the currently unknown incubating period, the number infections isn't the current number of known cases, but something different, and unknown.

In comparison traffic deaths are relatively static, and unlikely to change radically. We're aware of the situations that can lead to death or injury in traffic. We're also used to that sort of risk. Hence, while the risk is comparatively large, we've had time to get comfortable with it. But, part of that comfort is reasonable confidence that the risk isn't suddenly going to get worse.

And an additional problem is that underestimating the risk leads to inadequate precautions, which can make the spread worse. And when we're talking about potential exponential infection curves, a steeper curve can make a lot of difference.
ainternational likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Honestly I’m not at all concerned. Sure it’s disconcerting to see a 20 something dying from the virus as you harped above, but how many people died today in Tokyo from car accidents, cancer and heart attacks? I just don’t see the need to over sensationalize this like you do, that’s all.
You don't get this. Head to main thread which is 180 pages long and where above argument was debunked already.

Problem is not mortality rate, despite the fact that this *#&$#*& mortality rate is 20x higher that seasonal flu. Problem is that if even 5% of world's/country's population is getting infected, it will cause breakdown of healthcare system. Read what is/was happening in Wuhan.

Because if 1m people is getting infected and 5% of them are ending in ICU, healthcare system is not designed to handle 50K ICU patients within 2-4 weeks. Here is what happening in Korea - it went 30x increase in six days.
  • Last few days progression of total cases in South Korea:
    • Feb. 23: 833 cases
    • Feb. 23: 602 cases
    • Feb. 22: 436 cases
    • Feb. 21: 209 cases
    • Feb. 20: 111 cases
    • Feb. 19: 58 cases
    • Feb. 18: 31 cases
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Should I go or not go??

So due to this, I was forced to take of annual leave off and was planned to go for Mileage run to Japan for this year status qualification (since I have limited leave per year so wanted to make use of my leave).

Til now I have not buy any flight ticket (flight still wide open) yet (hint: my leave start very soon beginning of next month) nor any hotel booking (used to stay in capsule but plan to move to proper hotel room for obvious reason). Local mates there were telling me hotel were quite cheap at the moment.

Not sure if worth the risk going to Tokyo and those other major area (Fukuoka/Okinawa) at this point of time. The infection rate seems to be stagnant (as opposed to Korea) at the moment. Well aware of the some folks that were reported few days ago. Not sure if it is good news or what or typical cover up stuff?

Or I should just junk this trip together and spend my time on something else instead.

Read through the trip where some folks were just decide to junk it due to unnecessary risk on this (that was few weeks before the hoohah as of today)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: various
CDC in USA has just added another 18 ex-Diamond Princess passengers testing positive, for a total of 36. That's out of 329 evacuated and quarantined = 11%. I believe they are expecting more positives to occur in the quarantine group. No doubt some of these were people who the Japanese had tested negative, now turned positive. And I don't think they were all infected by the 14 supposed positives allowed to return home (at least 1 of which is actually negative). Some were undoubtedly harboring the virus without testing positive, the moment they left that ship.

Point being, when the Japanese government allowed hundreds of negative-testing passengers off the ship, pronounced them "healthy" and allowed them to roam free, they let loose a cohort of potential infection-seeders everywhere. I would be in a paranoid frame of mind if visiting pretty much anywhere in Japan right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.