Wiki Posts
Search

5 nights in Tokyo, 5 nights in Osaka, where should we stay the last 3 nights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freecia
Do you mean Kusatsu? I happen to like these modern sister ryokans a bit outside Kusatsu**. They share an onsen complex and also have private first-come first-serve onsen.
https://www.hotespa.net/hotels/konoha/
https://www.hotespa.net/hotels/tokinoniwa/rooms/ Offers private in-room open air onsen (with hot spring water, which not all ryokan with a nice "in-room" bath do, so good to confirm)

If you mean for a day visit, then going so far out of your way isn't ideal. Kusatsu isn't near a train station and requires a bus ride https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7403.html

There's a few onsen in Narita for both day visits https://hubjapan.io/articles/5-best-...re-your-flight or overnights https://matcha-jp.com/en/6869. Do look to see if they offer family baths if you want something coed.

Kinosaki Onsen is about 2.5 hours from Osaka and two of the public onsen offer a family bath options https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3527.html If you are looking for wow factor an overnight ryokan stay would be more ideal.

** ETA: My preference is for slightly smaller ryokan done in a modern style with non-smoking rooms and private or bookable private onsen. I went to the less expensive Konoha which offers a buffet for dinner. Your preferences may vary
No this wouldn’t be a day visit, I guess what I’m looking for is a quaint village with a historic Onsen to stay overnight - this will be our last real night in Japan. I assume we would send our luggage from the Osaka Hilton to the Narita Hilton which would allow us to be mobile enough to take any trains/buses needed. I appreciate your suggestions, we will find something that fits the bill.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Instead of Osaka for five nights, I'd stay in Kyoto for most or all of this time.
Any reason why? I just took a quick look, in general - hotels in Kyoto are a lot more expensive.
And I'm not tied to any particular chains. Just looking at hotels.com

Planning for a 4 days trip to Osaka. Wondering if I should stay overnight anywhere, or just base myself out of KIX and not switch hotels.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:40 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any reason why? .....
Because Osaka is primarily a commercial city, a bit like a mini-Tokyo but without Tokyo’s attractions. Kyoto was Japan’s capital from 794 to 1868, has 1,000+ years of history and is the cultural heart of Japan. It has always been a complete mystery to me why people go to Osaka. Other than Dotonbori (the restaurant/nightlife area of Osaka) there isn’t much there .... and before anybody says ‘Osaka Castle’, that’s largely a mid-to-late 20th century concrete re-construction — go to Himeji for the real deal.
Pureboy, TWA884 and Kannai like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any reason why? I just took a quick look, in general - hotels in Kyoto are a lot more expensive.
And I'm not tied to any particular chains. Just looking at hotels.com

Planning for a 4 days trip to Osaka. Wondering if I should stay overnight anywhere, or just base myself out of KIX and not switch hotels.

Hi,

The problem with staying in Osaka ( and say visiting Kyoto) is the daily commute each way ( plus you cannot easily head back to the Osaka hotel for a mid day break if needed) as Kyoto's sights are worth several days on their own and walking in the early morning and late evening can create a different atmosphere ).
But agree that the Kyoto hotels are probably more expensive than Osaka.

Regards

TBS
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
Dear All, read through a lot of threads and there is obviously gazillions of tidbits to digest. I am going to Japan with wife for the first time end of Oct 2020 for right days. Based on the advice - as I have gleaned it - staying somewhere like the Claska might create transportation anxiety late at night or otherwise and we would be wise to pony up for the Andaz? The Claska style place is more our speed, but I bow to pragmatism. Also, we are beyond the point of slumming it *too*much on hotels and the Air BnB days are behind us. Whilst we would love to do a ryokan, it might be a lot of adventure for this jaunt. I admit this is a conclusion I am arriving at, in a bubble of only reading FT forums.

Happy to be flamethrowed, but would love anyone to weigh in on neighborhood if we are missing a Claska-type place. We want to go out at night even to explore, but aren't going to tear the town up or stagger out of a bar at 2 AM.

Devoted subway lovers, but would prefer to walk when possible. Will be focused on restaurants throughout, but as I understand it everywhere has choice and we enjoy an unspeakable bill from a high end place for one or two meals, but happy to eat in normal places that are really darn good for everything else. Also devoted to trying the kick ... places for lunch, too.

We are flying in and out of HND but that shouldnt be a factor inasmuch as we wont let a connection or extra 20 minutes on a train govern where we stay in Tokyo.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berlindave
Dear All, read through a lot of threads and there is obviously gazillions of tidbits to digest. I am going to Japan with wife for the first time end of Oct 2020 for right days. Based on the advice - as I have gleaned it - staying somewhere like the Claska might create transportation anxiety late at night or otherwise and we would be wise to pony up for the Andaz? The Claska style place is more our speed, but I bow to pragmatism. Also, we are beyond the point of slumming it *too*much on hotels and the Air BnB days are behind us. Whilst we would love to do a ryokan, it might be a lot of adventure for this jaunt. I admit this is a conclusion I am arriving at, in a bubble of only reading FT forums.

Happy to be flamethrowed, but would love anyone to weigh in on neighborhood if we are missing a Claska-type place. We want to go out at night even to explore, but aren't going to tear the town up or stagger out of a bar at 2 AM.

Devoted subway lovers, but would prefer to walk when possible. Will be focused on restaurants throughout, but as I understand it everywhere has choice and we enjoy an unspeakable bill from a high end place for one or two meals, but happy to eat in normal places that are really darn good for everything else. Also devoted to trying the kick ... places for lunch, too.

We are flying in and out of HND but that shouldnt be a factor inasmuch as we wont let a connection or extra 20 minutes on a train govern where we stay in Tokyo.
The Claska gives me the willies (more specifically, their insistence on me not having any willy was a real downer)

Boutique Hotel, isn't it?

I don’t know anything about you berlindave, but I did spend my honeymoon in Berlin and the Claska’s management philosophy is (or most certainly was)
a long way away from the sort of freedom that attracts me to Berlin.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
The Claska gives me the willies (more specifically, their insistence on me not having any willy was a real downer)

Boutique Hotel, isn't it?

I don’t know anything about you berlindave, but I did spend my honeymoon in Berlin and the Claska’s management philosophy is (or most certainly was)
a long way away from the sort of freedom that attracts me to Berlin.
Yeaaaaah - I read about that and assumed it didn't have to apply to wives - and was from 15 years ago so I didn't think it was for real. But I guess it is. What about Hilton Sinjuku? Not *interesting* but Japan is the adventure and not the hotel, I guess
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berlindave
Yeaaaaah - I read about that and assumed it didn't have to apply to wives - and was from 15 years ago so I didn't think it was for real. But I guess it is. What about Hilton Sinjuku? Not *interesting* but Japan is the adventure and not the hotel, I guess
At the Claska anyone can book a room together, they may even have a few more doubles now (used to be mostly twin single beds). The policy prevents guests in different rooms getting together.
My then fiancé was going through illness and then grief with his family and I wanted to stay in a room in Tokyo to support him. The Claska’s policies were explained to me and creeped me out completely (reminded me of when my mother came to stay in swinging sixties London in convent run lodgings in Victoria). It isn’t an atmosphere I look for when choosing lodgings.
I am not aware of the Hilton in Shinjuku having any policies against letting guests with single rooms - who might meet in the bar - switching it up for the night. So long as everyone has paid for their stay they’re fine.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:38 am

I'm zeroing in on the Celestine in Tokyo Anyone feel strongly about Ginza vs. Shiba?
@LapLap thanks for the feedback.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys how would Karuizawa be for an overnight between our 5 nights in Tokyo and 5 nights in Osaka. I just noticed there is a Curio there that seems pretty nice, we of course could stay on points or pay around $250 - it would replace our stay in Kanazawa. We would visit there on one of our day trips.

We we decided for our last 3 nights - Conrad Osaka (weekend cert) then 2 nights at the Tokyo Bay (resort credit to use).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Karuizawa is very pretty. Enjoy!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Hey guys how would Karuizawa be for an overnight between our 5 nights in Tokyo and 5 nights in Osaka. I just noticed there is a Curio there that seems pretty nice,
We spent a night at the Curio in Karuizawa two weeks ago as a stop on a hike. The hotel was great and the hilly scenery around is very nice, especially if you hike in it, but we thought the town itself was odd, basically centred on a main street with souvenir shops and a number of German-themed sausage restaurants. It's not on the direct route between Osaka and Tokyo and I don't think I would bother to make a side-trip just to stay there.
evergrn likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Hey guys how would Karuizawa be for an overnight between our 5 nights in Tokyo and 5 nights in Osaka. I just noticed there is a Curio there that seems pretty nice, we of course could stay on points or pay around $250 - it would replace our stay in Kanazawa. We would visit there on one of our day trips.

We we decided for our last 3 nights - Conrad Osaka (weekend cert) then 2 nights at the Tokyo Bay (resort credit to use).
2 hotels in 3 nights? I thought you were trying to lessen the number of hotels you're staying in? Why not just stay at the Tokyo Bay for all 3 nights? The 1 night at the Conrad seems like a throwaway by the time you change hotels, unpack, pack, change hotels again...
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
2 hotels in 3 nights? I thought you were trying to lessen the number of hotels you're staying in? Why not just stay at the Tokyo Bay for all 3 nights? The 1 night at the Conrad seems like a throwaway by the time you change hotels, unpack, pack, change hotels again...
I kind of agree - my logic is we will have breakfast, check out, store our luggage either at the Hilton or Conrad then head out to Kyoto for the day. I just think we will be tired of our room after 5 nights and welcome a change to a $800 room, hopefully enjoy a change of scenery.
We tend to do this 5 night thing a lot, probably more than we should. I assume there’s a thread on the best cities to spend 5 nights at the same hotel - we do a poor job of immersing ourselves in the local culture. Hopefully with 5 nights in Tokyo and 6 nights in Osaka we will make a better effort.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I changed a few things, first night say at the Tokyo Bay to use our $250 resort credit - land at HND 5 pm so will just want to go to sleep - I assume the airport bus will take us there? We then move to the downtown Hilton for 3 nights - the Conrad Osaka for 6 nights. This will leave the last 2 nights open; our plane doesn’t leave HND until 5 pm. If we decide on Kanazawa for these 2 nights would it be a problem getting to HND by 2 pm or so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.