Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

5 nights in Tokyo, 5 nights in Osaka, where should we stay the last 3 nights

Old Aug 31, 19, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond

The Hilton people suggested I ask my question here. We have a 13 day March trip planned, my wife hates to move hotels and I have a decent amount of Hilton points so for now my plan is the fist 5 nights at the Hilton Tokyo (5th night is free), next 5 nights at Hilton Osaka which leaves us 3 nights free. Could I get some suggestions for a third city - she wants to stay at a nice ryokan and would like to be able to get back to NRT for a 5 pm flight. We will do day trips from each location so will probably buy a 14 day JR pass - as you can tell we like to travel sans luggage.

The more we travel the more we try to focus on enjoying every day instead of trying to see everything. I realize there will be many beautiful areas we will miss - I assume we will get back to Japan within 5 years.
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:28 am

Is this your first trip to Japan? How much do you want to spend on a ryokan, keeping in mind that it typically includes half board? You may also be able to book a night without dinner or meals which might be a good idea for a 3 night stay if it is in an urban area as the set dinner menu usually doesn't vary a lot each night.

Hakone is a popular stop for onsen ryokan between Tokyo and Osaka. There's also the less direct Hokuriku shinkansen that starts from Kanazawa which is a more traditional town, slightly less tourists than Kyoto, and good seafood. You can reach Shirakawa-go from Kanazawa by bus.

Japan has convenient luggage delivery services which typically take 1 day within Honshu and 2 days to the airport or Hokkaido/Okinawa. If you send your luggage from Tokyo on the morning of night 5, it will be waiting for you in the hotel room when you arrive at Hilton Osaka. The Hilton Tokyo is able to help send luggage from the Front/Concierge desk. You could also forward a piece of luggage from Osaka to NRT and combine into a single bag (or two smaller bags). It can be tedious to take two checkin size suitcases between cities yourself as there isn't a lot of room on the trains for anything larger than a carry-on and train stations are stair-centric.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
Sample delivery time & Rates: Check Rates and Delivery Times | Living in Japan | YAMATO TRANSPORT
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You might also consider a ryokan in or near Kyoto. The train connection from Kyoto to NRT (via Shinagawa Stn) is quite easy.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Sep 1, 19 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta
A great onsen town that you can get to by direct JR express train from Osaka/Kyoto is Kinosaki.
https://visitkinosaki.com
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: Avios
Hi Kmandrew,my wife and I are doing the exact same itinerary.We will be at Hilton Tokyo for 5 days then Hilton Osaka for 5 days ,this is hilarious.We are actually staying 14 days in Japan.We start our journey March 24
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I'd recommend checking out Miyajima. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Japan. Plenty of nice ryokans to choose from (I could highly recommend the one we stayed at, across from the temple. Easy to do some sightseeing in Hiroshima either on the way or on the return.
Old Sep 2, 19, 8:00 am

How about heading back to Tokyo the long way around via the Hokuriku Arch?

You can probably get a decent ryokan in Kanazawa which has enough to do during the day. Otherwise, plenty of onsen towns along the route (Ogotoonsen, Kagaonsen, Unazukionsen etc.) although the scenery in March may not be great as the trees are barren due to no leaves and no snow.

Personally I would not stay more than one night in an onsen ryokan - the routine of vast quantities of food, soaking in baths, fawning service, and regimented mealtimes gets too boring too quickly - and would rather spend the other two nights in a normal hotel. Alternatively stay all three nights in a ryokan but choose one that offers a room-/breakfast-only plan for some of those days.

Before leaving Osaka send most of your luggage by takyubin to NRT (very reasonably priced and commonly done by Japanese) and just keep a backpack/carryon with you for this portion. Easy train ride on the last day and pick your bags up at the airport.
ksandness likes this.

Last edited by Agneisse; Sep 2, 19 at 8:12 am
Old Sep 5, 19, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

We don’t mind taking our luggage when we limit the number stays, we just got back from 15 days in Scotland with 11 different hotels - my wife said no more unpacking every day
This is our first trip to Japan but I lived there a for 3 years when very young so know maybe know 50 Japanese words.

I just was able to book AA miles to arrive 4/8
4/8-13 5 nights Tokyo Hilton probably 3 day trips
4/13 train to Kanazawa - we booked a ryokan that looks very nice.
4/14-19 Osaka Hilton then again probably 5 day trips, at least 2 to Kyoto?
4/19 I forgot I have a weekend cert to use so we move over to the Conrad - I’m sure by then we will be ready for a new room view.
4/20 I also forgot I have an AX $250 resort credit so thinking Odawara for a base to visit Hakone
4/21 simply stay at the NRT Hilton for 20k - flight home at 10:55 the next morning

We obviously have a lot of gaps to fill but luckily 6 months to get suggestions form everybody, I have done a little math, I assume a $435 pp 14 JR pass will pay for itself?
Old Sep 5, 19, 5:38 pm

Don't think that a 14-day pass will pay off. Here is a JR Pass calculator.
https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
Another idea. Juggle your schedule so last night is in Osaka. Catch a morning flight on JAL from Osaka Itami airport (domestic flights only) to transfer to departure flight from NRT. One less move. Here is discount domestic flight info for tourists only.
https://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en...lorer_pass/lp/
Old Sep 5, 19, 11:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It might pay if the day trips include destinations like Hiroshima, Nikko, maybe even Sendai.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of Osaka for five nights, I'd stay in Kyoto for most or all of this time.
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Instead of Osaka for five nights, I'd stay in Kyoto for most or all of this time.
while that might be a good idea it is way easier to book hotels with points in osaka and Osaka<>Kyoto is a quick train ride

OP look into a overnight (or day trip) to Koyasan
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:12 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=blitzen;31496458]

while that might be a good idea it is way easier to book hotels with points in osaka and Osaka<>Kyoto is a quick train ride

[/QUOTE
You are right, I can stay for free in Osaka

I plugged in several of the day trips everybody has suggested and the light turned green - pretty sure Iím well north of $435 for JR. Next I have to decide whether to get the green JR pass for an extra $150, my wife likes the idea of not having to find a seat on a crowded train; I realize many of the routes might not have 1st class.
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:14 am

One of those Osaka-based day trips should be to Himeji. Arguably the best castle in Japan and easy access by train- an hour more or less station to station on a non-shinkansen, half that time on a shinkansen.
ksandness likes this.

Last edited by Pureboy; Sep 6, 19 at 8:16 am Reason: added shinkansen times
Old Sep 6, 19, 8:37 am

[QUOTE=kmandrew;31496739]
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post

[/QUOTE
You are right, I can stay for free in Osaka

I plugged in several of the day trips everybody has suggested and the light turned green - pretty sure Iím well north of $435 for JR. Next I have to decide whether to get the green JR pass for an extra $150, my wife likes the idea of not having to find a seat on a crowded train; I realize many of the routes might not have 1st class.
Regular JR Pass is also reserved seats. Don't need Green for that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: