Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Express changes (eff. 14th Mar, 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narita Express changes (eff. 14th Mar, 2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

I'll be staying in Shinagawa later this week, landing at Narita. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get there? I'll have to go later from Shinagawa to Haneda.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I'll be staying in Shinagawa later this week, landing at Narita. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get there? I'll have to go later from Shinagawa to Haneda.
Depends on when you arrive and where you are going in Shinagawa. Some of the Narita Express airport trains go right to Shinagawa Station. That would probably be the easiest. That is, unless your hotel is one that is served by the limousine bus service, which might go straight to the hotel's front door. The train is cheaper than the bus but you might have to factor in the cost of a cab from Shinagawa Station to the hotel. I prefer the train. Others swear by the bus.

I know the above sounds vague but it is hard to give specifics without knowing times and what hotel.

Train schedule: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Limo-bus: https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/
Old May 5, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Depends on when you arrive and where you are going in Shinagawa. Some of the Narita Express airport trains go right to Shinagawa Station. That would probably be the easiest. That is, unless your hotel is one that is served by the limousine bus service, which might go straight to the hotel's front door. The train is cheaper than the bus but you might have to factor in the cost of a cab from Shinagawa Station to the hotel. I prefer the train. Others swear by the bus.

I know the above sounds vague but it is hard to give specifics without knowing times and what hotel.

I arrive on Friday at around 3PM and I'll be staying at the Prince Hotel which I read is very close to the station. The next morning, I have to go to Haneda Airport at around 7am.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I arrive on Friday at around 3PM and I'll be staying at the Prince Hotel which I read is very close to the station. The next morning, I have to go to Haneda Airport at around 7am.
There are several "Prince Hotels." The bus goes to a couple of them. Since it is so close to the station, I'd just take the N'Ex and walk or grab a cab. You need to know which Prince Hotel.

For the early HND departure, there is a train from Shinagawa that leaves at 05:26. At that early hour, I'd probably spring for a cab. The front desk should be able to arrange it that early.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Since you are relatively close I would simply take a taxi - they are plentiful and should only cost about 4,000 - 5,000 yen max from Shinagawa. I sometimes take a taxi from HND to the Ginza area and it's only 6,500 yen...
Old May 7, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
actual experience buying a tix. on the friendly limo bus

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - Also the friendly limousine bus is only 1,900 yen right now for foreigners - and it runs to Tokyo station multiple times per hour... I always take it to TCAT and then hop in a taxi - less crazy than tokyo station lol....
Arriving at NRT last night, I really struggled with this "advice"..........

For starters, the "friendly" limo bus did run more frequently than the JR train, but the transit time to the CBD was the same i.e. 1.5 hours. The cost was nowhere near 1900 JPNY. I was quoted 3100 JPNY for a one-way, plus taxi to my destination.

I ended up ignoring this advice, going downstairs and taking the JR Train. The cost? 1300 JPNY, and that included a transfer to my destination (Gotanda).

I have no idea where you got this information, but in my case (at least) it was incorrect.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

For starters, the "friendly" limo bus did run more frequently than the JR train, but the transit time to the CBD was the same i.e. 1.5 hours. The cost was nowhere near 1900 JPNY. I was quoted 3100 JPNY for a one-way, plus taxi to my destination.

I ended up ignoring this advice, going downstairs and taking the JR Train. The cost? 1300 JPNY, and that included a transfer to my destination (Gotanda).

I have no idea where you got this information, but in my case (at least) it was incorrect.
Were you on the JR Sobu line? That must've been good timing since those are quite infrequent from NRT.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Well, I gave this "information" because I have a place in Tokyo, fly in and out 4-6 times per month, and I was the one that actually purchased the 1,900 yen ticket so I think the information is pretty good lol! Two weeks ago it was still the deal and have the receipt to prove it (as it was last month and the month before) - if you give them your foreign passport the rate magically drops from 3,100 to 1,900. Also - please know that the posted times are typically worst case and I almost always arrive much earlier... Fortunately, I am arriving back in NRT on Monday (I go twice a month) - I will try it again and report back...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; May 8, 2015 at 7:39 am
Old May 11, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The 1,900 yen fare is listed here:
http://www.tcat-hakozaki.co.jp/eng/i...ion/price.html

It seems that it only works for the bus that goes to TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal) -- the limo buses that go to hotels and train stations cost more. TCAT is actually not a bad waypoint to get to many parts of Tokyo as it is directly connected to the metro (Suitengumae on Hanzomon Line).
Old May 11, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
The 1,900 yen fare is listed here:
http://www.tcat-hakozaki.co.jp/eng/i...ion/price.html

It seems that it only works for the bus that goes to TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal) -- the limo buses that go to hotels and train stations cost more. TCAT is actually not a bad waypoint to get to many parts of Tokyo as it is directly connected to the metro (Suitengumae on Hanzomon Line).
Yes - I used it again yesterday. To me it's the best area to branch out from in Tokyo as it's not as crazy as Tokyo station and taxi's are plentiful - plus it's close to my apartment lol. I am sorry I gave the advice upthread though as I thought it was be the same fare to Tokyo station / central Tokyo - which ironically is the next stop this bus will make usually... Did not realize it was only TCAT...
Old May 12, 2015, 10:58 am
DH

Originally Posted by abmj-jr

There's 20% discount for Discover Card holders for Tokyo Narita Airport and Kansai International Airport bus tickets good until March 31, 2016 up to 3 tickets per purchase.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA MM
Question about NEX r/t

Haven't been to Japan for years, going later this week, excited

I'm a bit confused about the NEX. If you buy a round trip ticket (for example to get the foreigner's discount) do you have to specify the return train or can it be an open ticket?

But related, I gather there's a seat reservation system - is this in the base fare or an add-on, and if an add-on, can you get it at a machine at the station?

Trying to sort this out before I go because my spoken Japanese is marginal and written language skills nil. thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Speaking from the perspective of leaving Tokyo in just a few hours...

When you purchase the Nex r/t ticket, you are given a voucher for the return. It has a relatively broad length of time it is good for. When you know your departure date, go to a JR Service office with the voucher(s) and they will set you up for the actual ticket for the return. The reserved seats are included in the price.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Never needed to speak/read Japanese to book Narita Express, either at the counter or using the ticket machine(ticket purchase).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Thanks!
Off to NRT in the morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.