FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Narita Express changes (eff. 14th Mar, 2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1644620-narita-express-changes-eff-14th-mar-2015-a.html)

Daytona Jan 10, 2015 4:55 am

Narita Express changes (eff. 14th Mar, 2015)

Japanese press release: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20150102.pdf

Another crazy decision by JR East if you ask me...

Staring 14th Mar, 2015, JR East will start selling the "N’EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket" aimed for tourists (non-Japanese passport holders).
Ticket validity: 14 days
Price: 4000 yen for adults (age 12+), 2000 yen for children (age 6 - 11).

However, the current "N’EX TOKYO Direct Ticket (One-way)" will be discontinued on 14th Mar, 2015.

Sucks for people arriving in NRT but departing HND, or if you plan to take the limousine bus back to NRT...

hamburgler Jan 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Well, they must think it's a good way to lock in customers for the return-trip versus the current 1,500 JPY one-way deal (which was really a 4,500 JPY round-trip deal).

It is unfortunate for expats though.. this was the one foreigner-focused product that locals could actually use until now.

evergrn Jan 11, 2015 1:46 am

Thanks for the info. This is news to me.

With the 1500y deal, I'd come to doing NEx into the city, then Skyliner to NRT. That worked out to be ~4000yen total, same as this new deal. This new deal will force me to do NEx both ways, which I guess is what JR East is after.

IceTrojan Jan 11, 2015 2:28 am

Well that bites the big one... I'm flying into NRT in April, going to the city, then continuing onto Kyoto and flying out of KIX.

So if JR East's goal was to drive 4-6 pax to use the Limosine bus instead of N'EX, the "Mission Accomplished!" :D

BuildingMyBento Jan 11, 2015 8:02 am

I took the N'ex a couple of times last month after an eight year lull. It's woefully slow (reminds me of the the "high-speed" Acela in the US) and the salt in the wound is the "free wi-fi available."

Back to the Keisei limited express and it's scenic route.

muji Jan 11, 2015 9:30 am

I'm wondering if the new 4000-yen round-trip ticket requires that you take the same route both directions.

I would want to go from Narita to Shinagawa, but return from Shinjuku to Narita.

Edit: Just analyzed / translated the pdf. It shows that you can go to and return from any of the many stations (around 40) shown on the map.

Bttc Jan 11, 2015 2:01 pm

I'll probably still get it. It's a slightly better deal, and most of the time I fly into and out of NRT.

Certainly not quite as useful in many cases.

HUGE AL Apr 5, 2015 8:15 pm

Discounted Options for Green Car

Is there an option anymore for Green Car? The JR website has always been really bad.

RichardInSF Apr 6, 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by HUGE AL (Post 24621850)
Is there an option anymore for Green Car? The JR website has always been really bad.

None that I know of.

Hubbabridge Apr 11, 2015 3:49 pm

No it is 4560円 in Green Class each way.

EXPLAT Apr 21, 2015 11:39 am

So what are the options now for a one way from NRT to Tokyo Station (Four Seasons) arriving on a early afternoon flight.

mkjr Apr 21, 2015 2:31 pm

glad i looked at this thread. booking another trip back to japan and was initially annoyed i could not get CX HKG-HND in J but settled to NRT but at least there is some option that is reasonable in place. i'll probably be staying at the shangri la again so NEX is a decent option for us and the price seems ok r/t and will be flying back to NA from NRT in any case.

EXPLAT Apr 22, 2015 8:56 pm

The $10.00 JR bus from NRT to Tokyo Station seems the way to go. Our hotel is at the South Entrance and that's where the bus stop is.

bmwe92fan Apr 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT (Post 24706611)
The $10.00 JR bus from NRT to Tokyo Station seems the way to go. Our hotel is at the South Entrance and that's where the bus stop is.

+1 - Also the friendly limousine bus is only 1,900 yen right now for foreigners - and it runs to Tokyo station multiple times per hour... I always take it to TCAT and then hop in a taxi - less crazy than tokyo station lol....

ksandness Apr 30, 2015 10:20 am

I usually stay in the northern part of the city, so taking the Skyliner both ways works for me. I've taken the N'EX only when I was continuing on to somewhere else the next day. I also took the limo bus to NRT once when I had the misfortune to contract the flu while in Japan. I was mostly better but still weak, so I decided to take a cab plus limo bus from TCAT instead of my usual practice of Yamanote Line to Nippori to catch the Skyliner. It gave me a chance to see some different aspects of the outer reaches of the Tokyo metropolitan area.