Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by invalyd
wouldn't be in vain because you could just wait a few minutes until someone leaves. people aren't spending all day there.
Without knowing if and/or how they process a waiting list for guests without a reservation when it's busy, it's not a recommendation I would make.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:44 am

I am heading to Hakushu distillery next month and their reservation is much easier to get! Hopefully their store will have more interesting stuff!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by james21_h
I am heading to Hakushu distillery next month and their reservation is much easier to get! Hopefully their store will have more interesting stuff!
I wouldn’t get your hopes up about trying to find a bottle of H12 or H18 there. Like Yamazaki, the tasting bar has the full spread of stuff, but bottles wise, all they’ll have at the store is probably just Chita NAS and the Hakushu distillery exclusive blend. That being said, taste-wise I do like the Hakushu-exclusive better than the Yamazaki-exclusive.
james21_h likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's pretty much the same as Yamazaki, show up for the first tour and you might get something nice, but the tasting bar there is much better as it's never busy
james21_h likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:51 pm

Available at Narita

Will be going through Narita using JAL. I only have 90 mins at the airport before my flight to San Diego (final destination). My flight is also in the afternoon so I understand my chances of getting the Y or H age statements is non-existent.

my question is what is usually available and is a 90 min layover enough to grab some?

thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tictac587
my question is what is usually available and is a 90 min layover enough to grab some?

thanks.
Commonly available stuff would be Nikka Super gift box (incl 2 glasses), Nikka Gold and Gold Samurai, Suntory Royal, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:12 pm

Will be going through Narita using JAL. I only have 90 mins at the airport before my flight to San Diego (final destination). My flight is also in the afternoon so I understand my chances of getting the Y or H age statements is non-existent.

thanks.
90 mins is plenty of time.

Just to clear up this myth: showing up to the airport in the morning doesnt help your chances of getting a bottle. The shipments arrive and get restocked in the middle of the day. It really just comes down to luck and how recently they got a shipment.

The main reason to get there early is to have enough time to check all the shops
7473chad likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara
I wouldn’t get your hopes up about trying to find a bottle of H12 or H18 there. Like Yamazaki, the tasting bar has the full spread of stuff, but bottles wise, all they’ll have at the store is probably just Chita NAS and the Hakushu distillery exclusive blend. That being said, taste-wise I do like the Hakushu-exclusive better than the Yamazaki-exclusive.
I’m heading there pretty much for the tasting bar! Any bottles of yamazaki 18 will be awesome but I’m not expecting to see any. Who knows they might have new stock in after new year! Booked a session on the day I arrive and he first session next morning! I don’t think I will be sober for two days....
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:36 pm

I’m heading there pretty much for the tasting bar! Any bottles of yamazaki 18 will be awesome but I’m not expecting to see any. Who knows they might have new stock in after new year! Booked a session on the day I arrive and he first session next morning! I don’t think I will be sober for two days....
Are you overnighting in Kobuchizawa or using a JR Tokyo Wide pass?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:12 am

So Hibiki Master select or Master Select limited edition is not readily available?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Are you overnighting in Kobuchizawa or using a JR Tokyo Wide pass?
Staying in Kobuchisawa for one night! Not sure what else is in that town besides Hakushu distillery. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:15 am

So Hibiki Master select or Master Select limited edition is not readily available?
I've never seen it offered in a Japanese airport. Have seen it a ton everywhere else though, incl SFO ($115), LAX, TPE (NTD 3000).

As I mentioned a few pages ago in this thread, I think BC is superior to MS for the same price. There are a couple shops in Tokyo that carry it around ¥10k.

Edit: oops, looked back and I said reviews suggest harmony is superior to MS. I'm still waffling on that, but i'd defo take BC over MS.

Last edited by jashsu; Dec 31, 2019 at 6:03 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: MP, BR
I think they are only offered to Duty Free shops outside of Japan as I've only bought them in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
I've never seen it offered in a Japanese airport. Have seen it a ton everywhere else though, incl SFO ($115), LAX, TPE (NTD 3000).

As I mentioned a few pages ago in this thread, I think BC is superior to MS for the same price. There are a couple shops in Tokyo that carry it around ¥10k.
I agreed that BC is better. I have been getting them for around Y9000 each.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:52 am

Yes it is, saw it at Narita T2 for 10k yen just yesterday (1 bottle per person).
jashsu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.