Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Friends are moving back to the states as their expat days are over. As they are transiting NRT with a carry-on dog are there any in airport facilities where the dog could be let out of the cage to do what dogs do?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
Connecting in Fukuoka DOM-INT

The airport(s) at which you are transiting: FUK
The airline on which you are arriving: ANA
The airline on which you are departing: ASIANA
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 2 Hours
Domestic to international, traveling on a single ticket.

So, I'm flying from HND-FUK-ICN. The FUK website doesn't inspire a lot of confidence on the ease of this transfer. I believe since this is star alliance, my luggage will not need to be claimed/rechecked in FUK, right?

So my process is, arrive, bus ride to International, security, re-board?

I assume this is quite easy in 2 hours, but wanted to check as I am traveling with a 3 year old.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:17 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Since the domestic and international terminals are physically separate, you will need to collect your luggage. As FUK is not a large airport, two hours is plenty for this.

More details here: http://www.fuk-ab.co.jp/english/transit_dom_int.html
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:21 pm

I dont international often so I hope this makes sense.

I'm flying out of SFO to NRT, round trip ticket. Then I booked separate round trip ticket on China Air from NRT to MNL with an overnight in TPE.

I will be in Manila for one week. Then I spend my last week in Shibuya which is why I purchased a round trip ticket on China Air.

The airline on which you are arriving: United Terminal 1
The airline on which you are departing: China Airlines Terminal 2
Your connection time in hours/minutes: 4hours
How you are connecting:international to international (Int-Int)
separately-booked tickets

I will only have carry on luggage.
I arrive at 2:30pm. The NRT website states 10min bus ride from T1 to T2 with bus arriving every 7min. My flight on China Air is at 6:30pm.

1. Would my situation be considered a connecting flight?
2. Do I have to clear customs/immigration/security or can I just get on the transfer bus airside?
3. Realistically how long will it take me to go from T1 to T2? I ask because I may want to spend time at AA Admiral lounge which is in T2.
4. Any idea how long it will take to travel from Admirals lounge to China Air T2?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
NOTE - "China Airlines" is the airline that will fly you to Manila via Taipei. (There is another outfit called "Air China" with flights to mainland China). You might confuse people if you talk about "China Air".

FWIW - China Airlines is above Ryanair in my "avoid" list. Garuda Indonesia is even higher on the "avoid" list. (Perhaps people will say I'm wrong - Well they're entitled to their opinions). If you have an option to fly with ANA, I'd recommend going with that option. Direct flight. Connection in T1. Nice airline. Gotta be worth paying more for that.

Assuming you're stuck with what you said... Since you only have carry on luggage, your situation is pretty simple - Your four hour connection at NRT will qualify as an international connection. You can transit without going through customs and immigration. When you land, just follow signs for transit. You will go through a security check point to the departures area at T2. From there you can take the inter-terminal bus. At the checkpoint, you will be asked for a boarding pass or itinerary. So carry a copy of your itinerary.

(If you were checking luggage, you should call your airline to verify if they will interline luggage at NRT. All in all, I think you're better off with hand luggage only).

1. Would my situation be considered a connecting flight?
Not sure what you mean
- Yes. The airport will allow you to go through the transit route without entering the country.
- No. The airlines won't consider two separate PNRs to be a connection that they have to help you with in the event of delays. (If you miss that China Airlines flight, you're on your own).

2. Do I have to clear customs/immigration/security or can I just get on the transfer bus airside?
- Since you don't have checked bags, you can just go through the transit lane. There's a security check, but no customs or immigration.
- Make sure you're carrying a copy of your itinerary to show at the security checkpoint

3. Realistically how long will it take me to go from T1 to T2? I ask because I may want to spend time at AA Admiral lounge which is in T2.
- 15 to 30 minutes usually.
- Hold onto your itinerary. The person monitoring the transit bus will want to know what flight you're taking from T2

4. No idea.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:56 pm

@jib71 Thank you for the clarification

correction: I only have 3 1/2 hours before my flight on China Airlines in T2.

I will be flying on United and arrive in T1 at 3:00pm. My flight on China Airlines departs at 6:30. I read the reviews regarding the Admirals lounge in T2 and wasn't impressed. I do have a pass for free entry into KAL lounge in T1.

Would it be possible to head directly to the KAL lounge in T1 after I offboard?

Is the process the same? (follow signs for transit and go through a security check point to the departures area at T2)

Would it be safe to say I have at least 2 hrs to spend at the lounge before having to take the inter terminal bus to T2?

thank you
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:03 pm

oops forgot to ask if for some reason I must check in at the China Airline counter in T2 would I be able to take the inter terminal bus back to T1 and enjoy the KAL lounge before having to head back for my flight in T2.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by emilyk
correction: I only have 3 1/2 hours before my flight on China Airlines in T2.
Consider that you need to be at the gate at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure. And it will take you some time to exit from the United flight. You really have less than 3 hours for this connection.

Would it be possible to head directly to the KAL lounge in T1 after I offboard?
Eck. You could, but my advice is not to mess around. Get to T2. Relax there in a lounge which is just fine and isn't in the wrong terminal.

oops forgot to ask if for some reason I must check in at the China Airline counter in T2 would I be able to take the inter terminal bus back to T1 and enjoy the KAL lounge before having to head back for my flight in T2.
If you need to collect a boarding pass, you should be able to do so at the transit counter immediately after security check in T1. My advice is not to faff around in the KAL lounge - and certainly not to make an extra round trip between terminals to do so. If you really want to see the KAL lounge, take a quick look around and get on the bus to T2 - then report back here to let us know if you were sorely disappointed with the inferior T2 lounge. My guess is you won't be.

Last edited by jib71; Oct 6, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Arriving on AC 1 YYZ-NRT Arrive NRT 3:55 pm
Depart on a Codeshare MX2866/NH339 NRT-NGO (operated by ANA) at 5:55 pm

Question is I seem to have 2 differnet Records (1 on AC and 1 on ANA) I am ticketed on ANA Stock and the Code Share was actually via MX

Anyway, main question is. Do I clear Customs at NRT or NGO. Unsure how this is handled and unsure if AC will give me Boarding Passed all the way thru as AC and ANA are both Star Allience. This one is a little tricky especially as a MX Marketed Flight Operated by ANA for the NRT-NGO portion (ANA did say to check in with them)

So any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Arriving on AC 1 YYZ-NRT Arrive NRT 3:55 pm
Depart on a Codeshare MX2866/NH339 NRT-NGO (operated by ANA) at 5:55 pm

Question is I seem to have 2 differnet Records (1 on AC and 1 on ANA) I am ticketed on ANA Stock and the Code Share was actually via MX

Anyway, main question is. Do I clear Customs at NRT or NGO. Unsure how this is handled and unsure if AC will give me Boarding Passed all the way thru as AC and ANA are both Star Allience. This one is a little tricky especially as a MX Marketed Flight Operated by ANA for the NRT-NGO portion (ANA did say to check in with them)

So any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks and Safe Travels
Get off AC 1 proceed to immigration, after immigration go down escalator/stairs, retrieve baggage from carrousel (if you have checked baggage). Go with baggage to Customs (red or green lane your choice), finish with customs and proceed to arrivals hall. From arrival hall go to the Domestic ANA check-in counters for flight to NGO.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Get off AC 1 proceed to immigration, after immigration go down escalator/stairs, retrieve baggage from carrousel (if you have checked baggage). Go with baggage to Customs (red or green lane your choice), finish with customs and proceed to arrivals hall. From arrival hall go to the Domestic ANA check-in counters for flight to NGO.
Thank you! I will have carry on, is there a way to do this any other way. Is 2 hours sufficient for this transfer?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thank you! I will have carry on, is there a way to do this any other way. Is 2 hours sufficient for this transfer?
There's no way to bypass immigration and customs at NRT (your airport of arrival). What QShoe described is pretty much the only way you'll be able to go.
An alternative to taking a flight to Nagoya would be to take the train. (Narita Express to Shinagawa, then Shinkansen to Nagoya). Train can get you to central Nagoya at about the same time.

2 hours is plenty of time. If you do happen to miss your connection for some reason, you could keep the train in mind as a fall back option.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
There's no way to bypass immigration and customs at NRT (your airport of arrival). What QShoe described is pretty much the only way you'll be able to go.
An alternative to taking a flight to Nagoya would be to take the train. (Narita Express to Shinagawa, then Shinkansen to Nagoya). Train can get you to central Nagoya at about the same time.

2 hours is plenty of time. If you do happen to miss your connection for some reason, you could keep the train in mind as a fall back option.

Thank you for your reply and option of the train. I beleive that we have the last flight of the day on ANA to NGO (so hopefully this will go well and its not needed) As QShoe stated, once we are in the Arrivals Hall will we need to pass thru security to get to the ANA Domestic Gates in T-1. I was hoping of some sort of airside sterile Transfer Desk that had Immigration and Customs all together. Perhaps since this is my first trip and transfering at NRT I am somewhat confusted, but it sounds cumbersome.. With only 2 hours this cuts into my Lounge Time Thanks for the tips and Safe Travels
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:44 pm

I was hoping of some sort of airside sterile Transfer Desk that had Immigration and Customs all together.
Domestic and International flights have segregated gate areas. There's no sterile route for passengers between the two.

If there were a sterile route, I have a feeling that it would also have to include a security inspection (since that's the process for international to international transit via sterile route). And that would make it very similar to the process that exists today - Immigration usually moves quite quickly, luggage handling is good, immigration is generally just a couple of questions and a wave through... so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

As for domestic lounges - ANA's lounge is in the arrivals hall before security. Check the entry rules on the page below.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...de/lounge/nrt/

Security check for domestic flights is pretty quick and there is no lounge once you're airside for domestic flights.

Oh - Couple more thoughts:
If your incoming flight is slightly delayed, there is a chance that ANA would hold that flight to NGO for folks with connections. Worth asking the crew if there is a delay - I believe ANA can assign someone meet you at the gate and guide you through the transfer. And if you are unable to make the connection, I would ask ANA if they cover your train fare to NGO. I have a feeling they would do this.

But really ... unless you're delayed ... 2 hours is plenty of time.

Last edited by jib71; Oct 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Domestic and International flights have segregated gate areas. There's no sterile route for passengers between the two.

If there were a sterile route, I have a feeling that it would also have to include a security inspection (since that's the process for international to international transit via sterile route). And that would make it very similar to the process that exists today - Immigration usually moves quite quickly, luggage handling is good, immigration is generally just a couple of questions and a wave through... so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

As for domestic lounges - ANA's lounge is in the arrivals hall before security. Check the entry rules on the page below.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...de/lounge/nrt/

Security check for domestic flights is pretty quick and there is no lounge once you're airside for domestic flights.

Oh - Couple more thoughts:
If your incoming flight is slightly delayed, there is a chance that ANA would hold that flight to NGO for folks with connections. Worth asking the crew if there is a delay - I believe ANA can assign someone meet you at the gate and guide you through the transfer. And if you are unable to make the connection, I would ask ANA if they cover your train fare to NGO. I have a feeling they would do this.

But really ... unless you're delayed ... 2 hours is plenty of time.
Thank you so much for your insight, and well written reply. I truly appreciate your courtesy. Safe Travels (Hope I get to try the Beer Machines at NRT ) as I am *Gold and will have access..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.