Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Japan Baseball tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
yikes. the wet snow and rain today in tokyo probably made the giants wish they were in their dome. just as i'm sure the tourists that bought tickets for the second scrubbed swallows game might have re thought the dome game last night
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Hi, anyone have experience with Baystars app?
I bought tickets for May and thinking that it's just an ordinary apps in smartphone.
But it seems that there's a restriction that limits this apps for only Japan numbers (090, 080, 070)

Is there anyway going around it?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raditya
Hi, anyone have experience with Baystars app?
I bought tickets for May and thinking that it's just an ordinary apps in smartphone.
But it seems that there's a restriction that limits this apps for only Japan numbers (090, 080, 070)

Is there anyway going around it?
I have managed to book on the baystars app/website.

You need to sign up for an account. For me, this meant putting in a (fake) Japanese phone number, (fake) Japanese address, and I think I had to put in a version of my name using Japanese characters, which I got from using an English-Japanese online keyboard and cutting and pasting in the Japanese letters, I think. It took me a bunch of times before I got it right. I kept getting an error message and then at one point I think I typed in the "sample name" (something like "TARO YAMADA") for my name somewhere and it worked.

Write down/save whatever fake Japanese phone number you use and then you can use that and/or the email address to log in from the app. The tickets are sent right to the app and then you just show them your phone when you enter the stadium.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have managed to book on the baystars app/website.
You need to sign up for an account. For me, this meant putting in a (fake) Japanese phone number, (fake) Japanese address, and I think I had to put in a version of my name using Japanese characters, which I got from using an English-Japanese online keyboard and cutting and pasting in the Japanese letters, I think. It took me a bunch of times before I got it right. I kept getting an error message and then at one point I think I typed in the "sample name" (something like "TARO YAMADA") for my name somewhere and it worked.
Write down/save whatever fake Japanese phone number you use and then you can use that and/or the email address to log in from the app. The tickets are sent right to the app and then you just show them your phone when you enter the stadium.
Yup.. Done that.
Actually, I have managed to buy the tickets after registering using (fake) japanese number and address.
But my problem is, I cannot install the Baystars app. And after reading the FAQ, it seems that the app can only works with Japanese number?
I have use vpn, such as Hola, but playstore keeps on rejecting me to install the app.

Is it possible to have the ticket printed out and use that instead of the apps in the smartphone?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
That's strange. I have installed the app without a real Japanese number, but from the Apple app store.

I don't know if it can be printed/emailed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:35 am

We got to see Hanshin defeat the Giants at Koshien two weeks ago - it was an epic experience, something even non-baseball fans would enjoy.
The secondary market is not well developed in Japan and even hotel concierge staffers are loathe to help secure tickets, so we had to use a business connection
to get to this weekend game. The cheering is a straight up job for many fans, with pretty much everyone in right field standing and performing a litany of chants
throughout the game. The balloon release, drumming, etc. made for a fun atmosphere and the fans sitting near us were enthusiastic about gaijin enjoying the experience - we were handed an endless number of props to help us participate. This is probably the top of the heap of games to see, but I suspect any would
provide a good cultural experience - our son saw a Swallows game in Tokyo and still talks about the umbrella dance.
Boraxo and dsquared37 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Mickidon
We got to see Hanshin defeat the Giants at Koshien two weeks ago - it was an epic experience, something even non-baseball fans would enjoy. ... ... This is probably the top of the heap of games to see, but I suspect any would
provide a good cultural experience - our son saw a Swallows game in Tokyo and still talks about the umbrella dance.
No doubt Tigers game at Koshien is the ultimate. Here's a Tigers fan website run by a Canadian guy, which also has information about getting tickets under the Koshen stadium section.
H-TEN - Hanshin Tigers English News
angra likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Mickidon
We got to see Hanshin defeat the Giants at Koshien two weeks ago - it was an epic experience, something even non-baseball fans would enjoy.
The secondary market is not well developed in Japan and even hotel concierge staffers are loathe to help secure tickets, so we had to use a business connection
to get to this weekend game. The cheering is a straight up job for many fans, with pretty much everyone in right field standing and performing a litany of chants
throughout the game. The balloon release, drumming, etc. made for a fun atmosphere and the fans sitting near us were enthusiastic about gaijin enjoying the experience - we were handed an endless number of props to help us participate.
This was our experience exactly though nobody who was lingering around Babe Ruth's plaque outside the stadium, while drinking and/or changing into the fan gear, seemed to understand why we were taking pics. The exception to that statement is that the Hyatt Osaka concierge was able to secure tix down the right field line when I contacted them prior to the season's tix going on sale.

Still, that 10 inning Tiger's win at home vs the Giants was one of my favorite baseball memories.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:48 am

My soon-to-be wife and I will be honeymooning in Japan this September and I'd like to drag her to a game in Tokyo. The Swallows and Giants are both in town, and from most accounts Swallows games are more fun due to the old-school outdoor setting and boisterous fan atmosphere.

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but do any of you have a preference between the venues?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'll be a bit contrarian and say that which one is more fun depends more heavily on personal tastes than what most imply.

Swalllows have a much more nostalgic, smaller, old-school, minor-league sort of feel to them. Outdoor stadium. Home cheering section is general admission, I think.

Giants are a more intense fanbase, a stadium with more amenities, indoor stadium. Assigned seating in the cheering section. I think easier/better transportation connections.
AlsoNamedBort likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:15 am

I would also consider the opponent in this decision - some of the rivalries are more fun than others. As well, later in the season, some games may matter more than others in the standings. The Giants stadium is a more "corporate" environment while the Swallows is old school, outdoor stadium. As you can see in the previous comments, it's a YMMV decision, as some like climate controlled, assured comfort while others are happy to trade that
off for the smaller, more spirited (think small umbrellas!) Swallows digs.
AlsoNamedBort likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by angra
I'll be a bit contrarian and say that which one is more fun depends more heavily on personal tastes than what most imply.

Swalllows have a much more nostalgic, smaller, old-school, minor-league sort of feel to them. Outdoor stadium. Home cheering section is general admission, I think.

Giants are a more intense fanbase, a stadium with more amenities, indoor stadium. Assigned seating in the cheering section. I think easier/better transportation connections.
I agree with this, except that the Swallows may be easier to get to if they are staying in Shinjuku. I guess I'm not too fond of their stadium though according to my own rankings here: jphripjah reviews Japanese baseball stadiums

I'd highly recommend Yokohama Stadium. It's only 25 minutes by train from central Tokyo, and Yokohama is well worth seeing anyway and would be a good place to take a wife. Nice waterfront, Doll Museum, Cup Noodles museum(?), Red Brick Warehouse shopping complex, lovely old Western buildings in "the Bluff" area etc. Very pleasant walkable area outside the stadium. Far less hectic than Tokyo.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I agree with this, except that the Swallows may be easier to get to if they are staying in Shinjuku. I guess I'm not too fond of their stadium though according to my own rankings here: [link deleting; I apparently can't include links in posts because I have fewer than five posts]

I'd highly recommend Yokohama Stadium. It's only 25 minutes by train from central Tokyo, and Yokohama is well worth seeing anyway and would be a good place to take a wife. Nice waterfront, Doll Museum, Cup Noodles museum(?), Red Brick Warehouse shopping complex, lovely old Western buildings in "the Bluff" area etc. Very pleasant walkable area outside the stadium. Far less hectic than Tokyo.
Great advice and link. Thanks!

The weekend we're in Tokyo the Swallows will actually be hosting Yokohama and the Giants will be hosting the Carp. The old-school atmosphere, convenience to Shinjuku (we're staying at the Hilton), and slightly cheaper tickets have me favoring the Swallows, but either game sounds like a great choice.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Anyone know where the home team cheering section is located for the Hokkaido Fighters? Google Translate + my limited Japanese is not sufficing to decipher this from the Fighter's website or any other resource I've found this morning.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by angra
Anyone know where the home team cheering section is located for the Hokkaido Fighters? Google Translate + my limited Japanese is not sufficing to decipher this from the Fighter's website or any other resource I've found this morning.
This site says "fighters bench is third base side"

https://www.sapporo-dome.co.jp.e.cx....17regular.html

Which means their cheering section would be in left field, in the orange area of the map I imagine. See here:

angra likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.