Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL international to domestic on two seperate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

hi, i hope someone can help me here with this question. I have made a booking using my QF points to (hopefully) go to Japan next Oct for my birthday. I was so excited to get business class seats on JAL that i didnt even plan our itinerary and now we want to fly to hiroshima on the same day. we have friends who ticketed it as one and connect via Haneda about 4.5hrs after we land at narita. That is also a JAL flight.We are going MEL-NRT arriving at 9:05am and the second flight leaves at 1:30pm from Haneda.
So my question is, i want to purchase this flight ( either with QF points or $) with JAL but obviously it isnt on the one ticket.Will JAL be able to link them up and tag bags and maybe give us boarding passes etc so we dont have to line back up in Haneda? I understand if we happen to miss the connection well its our bad luck ( whereas on the one ticket its up to them to put us on the next one). I also understand if i book a J class as my second leg as well that we wont get the lounge access that we would if it was ticketed as one. I guess i am just concerned with what happens if we miss that flight. If JAL has ticketed our friends one with a 4.5 hr window i imagine its ok and doable. I am thinking if i at least keep the bookings on the same carrier it will be beneficial?
( i know theres other options and other cities etc to fly to rather than changing at haneda but this is what we want to do with our friends, i just was not clever when i originally booked to book it MEL-HIROSHIMA)
Thanks kindly
Old Nov 21, 2020, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As you always need to claim the luggage at the entry to Japan, and you need to bring you own luggage from Narita to Haneda and recheck it, the benefit of getting the luggage checked through is quite limited. The check in at Haneda is quite effective and will not require much waiting usually.

That being said JAL will check your luggage through. But be aware that domestic luggage allowance is somewhat lower than international.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As you always need to claim the luggage at the entry to Japan, and you need to bring you own luggage from Narita to Haneda and recheck it, the benefit of getting the luggage checked through is quite limited. The check in at Haneda is quite effective and will not require much waiting usually.

That being said JAL will check your luggage through. But be aware that domestic luggage allowance is somewhat lower than international.

I assume transit time of 4.5 hrs is enough? So even if we have two seperate tickets with JAL they should be able to give us baggage checked through and boarding passes in Melb. Yep I understand regardless we need to collect our baggage at Narita and change to Haneda: it would be nice to know we can get our boarding passes etc and save the queue time in Haneda therefore jusy going to bay drop.
we plan to travel with one bag each anyway so that’s no issue. Coming home another story for all the presents for the kids haha
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
4.5 hours is enough, it is not plenty.

There is not a great deal of time saved between having your bags tagged versus having to check them in at Haneda. If it is a peak travel day in Japan, and you have no status or don't book domestic F, the lines can be long whatever you do. But usually it is pretty smooth and quick.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by parkesyau
hi, i hope someone can help me here with this question. I have made a booking using my QF points to (hopefully) go to Japan next Oct for my birthday. I was so excited to get business class seats on JAL that i didnt even plan our itinerary and now we want to fly to hiroshima on the same day. we have friends who ticketed it as one and connect via Haneda about 4.5hrs after we land at narita. That is also a JAL flight.We are going MEL-NRT arriving at 9:05am and the second flight leaves at 1:30pm from Haneda.
So my question is, i want to purchase this flight ( either with QF points or $) with JAL but obviously it isnt on the one ticket.Will JAL be able to link them up and tag bags and maybe give us boarding passes etc so we dont have to line back up in Haneda? I understand if we happen to miss the connection well its our bad luck ( whereas on the one ticket its up to them to put us on the next one). I also understand if i book a J class as my second leg as well that we wont get the lounge access that we would if it was ticketed as one. I guess i am just concerned with what happens if we miss that flight. If JAL has ticketed our friends one with a 4.5 hr window i imagine its ok and doable. I am thinking if i at least keep the bookings on the same carrier it will be beneficial?
( i know theres other options and other cities etc to fly to rather than changing at haneda but this is what we want to do with our friends, i just was not clever when i originally booked to book it MEL-HIROSHIMA)
Thanks kindly
Why don't you just ring up Qantas and have them change your MEL-NRT to MEL-NRT, HND-HRJ on one ticket (by adding HND-HRJ to your existing booking)? It looks like the QF points required are the same. So long as there is economy award availability HND-HRJ QF should be able to make this change. It may require a change fee (never used QF points so not familiar with their change fees) but you would then be on one ticket with the protections that come with a one ticket connecting booking (rebooking if you miss your connection, rebooking the whole itin if the first flight is cancelled).
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
OP, when doing Int-Dom connection in Japan as far as baggage check situaiton is concerned there really is no difference in logistic of your handeling of checked baggage if reservation is in two tickets or a single ticket. Even if your Int-Don is in same airport under one ticket where baggage is checked through to your domestic desitination, at the port of entry airport you need to collect your checked baggage at customs, go through customs with your checked baggage, walk out of customs area with your checked baggage, then head to dometic connection counter to drop off your checked baggage for your domestic flight. The procedure will be the same if your are under two separate tickets and your checked baggage is not cheked all the way to the domestic destination.

Your situation Int-Dom connection is NRT-HND, and as far as your handling of checked baggage is concerned, there really is no difference if your ticket is under one ticket or two separate tickets. You need to collect your checked baggage at NRT and go through customs at NRT. Then you have to carry your baggage from NRT to HND on your own and check your baggage at HND for your domestic flight. If your are doing same day connection to domestic flights from international flights then JAL tends to be understanding about misseed connection regardless of your domestic ticket rule, that is least my experience.

If you purchase domestic flight using Japan Explor Pass then the baggage allowance is same as international economy, least that was the case pre-COVID-19.

Spring Japan operates NRT-HIJ (hiroshima) once a day but the flight leavs NRT at 9:30 a.m. so you will not make this flight after arrival from MEL.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

Does JAL through check baggage on NRT/HND connection? I had many Int-Dom conneciton involving NRT/HND pretty much all of them on two separate tickets and I have to admit I never asked to check baggage all the way to my final dometic destinations. I had many Int-Dom connection involving HND/HND on two separate tickets and all the cases JAL was able to through check baggage to my domestic final destinations, few that I can remember international flights originating from JFK, SIN, PEK, SHA...

One reference point I have is few years ago I flew JAL on BOS-NRT/HND-SIN with same day commection at NRT/HND in one ticket. JL at BOS checked my baggage only to NRT and infromed me I had to carry my baggage to HND on my own form NRT and check my baggage again at HND. JL at BOS did issue both boarding pass for BOS-NRT and HND-SIN.

Another case, I flew JAL on BOS-NRT-PEK under one ticket and NRT was overnight connection. I specifically asked to check my baggage to NRT only, not sure if JAL could check my baggage all the way to PEK when connection involved overnight, and same time JAL at BOS issued me both NOS-NRT and NRT-PEK boarding pass.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information regarding baggage, yes I was aware of needing to collect and carry the bags. I did ring Qantas but they couldn’t do a “buy in” as she called it where she added the ticket to my exisiting booking ( even though I can see award seats on my end if I book seperate)
I guess my main concern is the 4.5hr transit time going to be enough on a Saturday, and will JAL give us boarding passes for the domestic leg or will we need to check back in?
I have looked at other options too such as flying from Narita airport to another city ( Fukuoka or Osaka) and then catching the train. This will involve a budget carrier like Jetstar from what I can see
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the information regarding baggage, yes I was aware of needing to collect and carry the bags. I did ring Qantas but they couldn’t do a “buy in” as she called it where she added the ticket to my exisiting booking ( even though I can see award seats on my end if I book seperate)
I guess my main concern is the 4.5hr transit time going to be enough on a Saturday, and will JAL give us boarding passes for the domestic leg or will we need to check back in?
I have looked at other options too such as flying from Narita airport to another city ( Fukuoka or Osaka) and then catching the train. This will involve a budget carrier like Jetstar from what I can see
The term "buy in" makes me suspicious as to what the agent was trying to do. Was she trying to add a purchased ticket to your award ticket? This might not be allowed but adding a segment onto an award ticket should be allowed if she retickets as one award. I would try calling back and making clear you want to change your award from MEL-NRT to MEL-HRJ but only if you can keep the existing MEL-NRT segments. You are not trying to purchase a cash ticket and add it to an award.

If there is current award space MEL-HRJ showing on the website with Business Class from MEL-NRT and coach from HND-HRJ then you should be able to call in ask the agent to change your award to MEL-HRJ and end up with one ticket with MEL-NRT in J and HND-HRJ in Y.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The term "buy in" makes me suspicious as to what the agent was trying to do. Was she trying to add a purchased ticket to your award ticket? This might not be allowed but adding a segment onto an award ticket should be allowed if she retickets as one award. I would try calling back and making clear you want to change your award from MEL-NRT to MEL-HRJ but only if you can keep the existing MEL-NRT segments. You are not trying to purchase a cash ticket and add it to an award.

If there is current award space MEL-HRJ showing on the website with Business Class from MEL-NRT and coach from HND-HRJ then you should be able to call in ask the agent to change your award to MEL-HRJ and end up with one ticket with MEL-NRT in J and HND-HRJ in Y.

yeah that’s what she was trying to do to change my award booking from MEl-NRT to MEL- HIJ but she wasn’t finding anything on the Tokyo Hiroshima leg which is why she couldn’t do it. I can however jump on my Qantas account and search that section separately and buy seats or get classic seats. So not sure why. I think I might just buy the leg separately and hope for the best
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

yeah that’s what she was trying to do to change my award booking from MEl-NRT to MEL- HIJ but she wasn’t finding anything on the Tokyo Hiroshima leg which is why she couldn’t do it. I can however jump on my Qantas account and search that section separately and buy seats or get classic seats. So not sure why. I think I might just buy the leg separately and hope for the best
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:14 pm

If you can see award seats HND-HRJ on the website I would call in, without mentioning your existing award ask the agent if there are awards HND-HRJ on your date and they should see them if they are on the website. Once they confirm they see the HND-HRJ awards tell them you want to change your existing award to end in HRJ by adding those flights. Now they cannot claim those seats are not available because they just confirmed that they were.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
If you can see award seats HND-HRJ on the website I would call in, without mentioning your existing award ask the agent if there are awards HND-HRJ on your date and they should see them if they are on the website. Once they confirm they see the HND-HRJ awards tell them you want to change your existing award to end in HRJ by adding those flights. Now they cannot claim those seats are not available because they just confirmed that they were.
they can claim seats not available even in this case due to married segment logic. Seats available on individual segments doesn’t mean they are available when you search the whole itinerary together
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
they can claim seats not available even in this case due to married segment logic. Seats available on individual segments doesn’t mean they are available when you search the whole itinerary together

correct this is exactly what’s happening so I just have to get this seperate and keep fingers crossed I make it
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The key factor in the time process is really going to be the immigration time. Pre pandemic it could take quite a bit of time some days. Post pandemic it will be interesting to see how that develops. The bus takes 60 to 90 minutes, and is by far the best way to go, though at the moment, it does not run that frequently.

Bag drop vs check in is really only a matter of a few minutes' difference. If you arrive with a quite short time left, speak to the first JAL staff member you see, and they will help you to make it happen in time. You just need to pass security 20 minutes before departure, as long as you do that, all is good.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't you just ring up Qantas and have them change your MEL-NRT to MEL-NRT, HND-HRJ on one ticket (by adding HND-HRJ to your existing booking)? It looks like the QF points required are the same. So long as there is economy award availability HND-HRJ QF should be able to make this change. It may require a change fee (never used QF points so not familiar with their change fees) but you would then be on one ticket with the protections that come with a one ticket connecting booking (rebooking if you miss your connection, rebooking the whole itin if the first flight is cancelled).
For MEL-NRT, HND-HRJ are 75% sure QF award has trouble with the open land segment NRT-HND. So prices as 2 off point to point awards.
Pre Covid-19 QF79 MEL-NRT (as was JAL) and QF25 was SYD-HND. Post Covid-19 who knows what the QF-JL schedules and time table will be (if any)
So could try as award MEL-SYD-HND-HRJ or MEL-SYD cash paid flight and award SYD-HND-HRJ on QF/JL
Not the first time the 2 Tokyo international airports has caused an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.