Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Does JAL lock the windows to dark on their 787 daytime flights from the US??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

Many US carriers do this and I really hate having no control over the windows during a daytime flight. I am thinking of the taking the flight from DFW to HND but it is a 787.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Many US carriers do this and I really hate having no control over the windows during a daytime flight. I am thinking of the taking the flight from DFW to HND but it is a 787.
I have always had control, but if you leave them fully open the crew will encourage you to keep them dark most of the time.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can't you just control it yourself even if the crew turn it to dark? I hate a dark airplane during daytime flights.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can't you just control it yourself even if the crew turn it to dark? I hate a dark airplane during daytime flights.
The crews can lock them centrally on the 787.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I have not experienced a hard lock, but on every 787 flight I've been on where the crew shuts everything to dark I can lighten the shade.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had the control taken away on an AA flight. But I have also had AA flights where they did not.

Or maybe the button was broken?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:37 pm

Related question... Do they still hand out rubber shades to people on the sunny side of the aircraft to make up for insufficient dimming of the electric shades? I read that was a problem of early 787-8's, and am wondering if it has been fixed or is still left as is.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kentauta
Related question... Do they still hand out rubber shades to people on the sunny side of the aircraft to make up for insufficient dimming of the electric shades? I read that was a problem of early 787-8's, and am wondering if it has been fixed or is still left as is.
I have never seen those in use. I always wondered if they were an urban myth....
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have never seen those in use. I always wondered if they were an urban myth....
I remember using it once on SAN-NRT several years ago. It didn't stick on the window well and kept falling off. Since then I have always avoided the sunny side on any long haul.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
kentauta, roberto99 and yabadoo like this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Can confirm they lock it during NRT - KUL flight.

Not really a problem as I usually sit on aisle seat as having direct toilet access without anything in between is my utmost priority

Last edited by minizian; Nov 22, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:15 am
mjm
Original Member

BA also had those in use. I was given one as I sat in 1A on an LHR-HND flight on their 789. Chose the wrong side, whoops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.