Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JALPak
one has to be very optimistic to believe TYO-SEA flight will resume in July.
When I check the seat map for NRT-SEA on JAL's web site, I count that 51 economy seats have already been sold for 1 July, and 40 economy seats sold for 2 July already a month early. I'm not sure what else JAL needs to firm up the route. The trip is still a month away, and the plane is 1/3rd sold. However, with all my disappointment with flights being canceled or suspended since March, I too doubt whether the route will be implemented or not.

I hope that JAL and ANA will publish their firmed up July schedule soon. I really want to / need to make travel plans. Otherwise, the only option for me to get back to North America from Singapore, mostly direct, without any crazy routes through Europe / Middle East would be SQ from SIN->LAX red-eye. I really want to have a stopover at TYO though, as someone with fear of flying, it makes sense for me to break my very long trip from Singapore to Seattle up in two parts.. and Japan is almost right in the middle, and plus I love Japan, even a few hours at the airport would make me happy.

Do you really think that JAL will once again cancel / suspend the TYO-SEA segment for July? This is the best way for me to get to the United States. Even with my concerns about 787s aside, the routing and the timing of the flights makes the most sense for getting from Singapore to the Pacific Northwest, I believe.

Forgot to mention, I called JAL last night in the U.S, due to the time difference it was 23:00PM my time to call.. and the customer service said he has no idea about what routes in July will be flying, and no idea when they will know. :/ People do need to be able to make plans.. I would love it if ANA and JAL could firm up plans and just stick to it.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
When I check the seat map for NRT-SEA on JAL's web site, I count that 51 economy seats have already been sold for 1 July, and 40 economy seats sold for 2 July already a month early. I'm not sure what else JAL needs to firm up the route. The trip is still a month away, and the plane is 1/3rd sold. However, with all my disappointment with flights being canceled or suspended since March, I too doubt whether the route will be implemented or not.

I hope that JAL and ANA will publish their firmed up July schedule soon. I really want to / need to make travel plans. Otherwise, the only option for me to get back to North America from Singapore, mostly direct, without any crazy routes through Europe / Middle East would be SQ from SIN->LAX red-eye. I really want to have a stopover at TYO though, as someone with fear of flying, it makes sense for me to break my very long trip from Singapore to Seattle up in two parts.. and Japan is almost right in the middle, and plus I love Japan, even a few hours at the airport would make me happy.

Do you really think that JAL will once again cancel / suspend the TYO-SEA segment for July? This is the best way for me to get to the United States. Even with my concerns about 787s aside, the routing and the timing of the flights makes the most sense for getting from Singapore to the Pacific Northwest, I believe.

Forgot to mention, I called JAL last night in the U.S, due to the time difference it was 23:00PM my time to call.. and the customer service said he has no idea about what routes in July will be flying, and no idea when they will know. :/ People do need to be able to make plans.. I would love it if ANA and JAL could firm up plans and just stick to it.
Having 51 "unavailable" seats in Y does not mean those seats have been sold. We've already told you the schedule won't be out for another 2 weeks. I don't know who has published the July cancelations at this point but if you can't wait, then just book whatever you want. If flights are canceled, you get the refund or re-route. It's as simple as that. NH has a slightly higher chance of keeping the flight if you ask me. Looks like you've already done the research on how safe NH is Anxious Flier Questions About 787-8 and 787-9 (RR Trent 1000 Concerns).. How To Go?

[Off-topic remark edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 20, 2020 at 2:41 pm Reason: See note above, per FT Rule 5.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth

By an expertflyer count, there is 24 sold seats on July 1st. But some of them could have been booked before the pandemic and people are just waiting for waivers to kick in to cancel or rebook them. 24 sold seats less than a month before departure is not very high.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
By an expertflyer count, there is 24 sold seats on July 1st. But some of them could have been booked before the pandemic and people are just waiting for waivers to kick in to cancel or rebook them. 24 sold seats less than a month before departure is not very high.
Better than just 1 seat sold on some international flights that still operated back in March / April
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
FlyingSloth you will be absolutely fine on JAL - I have full confidence in them in all aspects regardless of aircraft type. In fact, they are my airline of choice whenever flying to Japan, or whenever transiting via Japan makes sense for me
FlyingSloth and seigex like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
ANA posted their July schedule and as correctly assumed earlier, it's basically the same as in June. https://www.anahd.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200206/ (Notice the timetables can be scrolled vertically and horizontally) As long as international travel restrictions stay in place, no reason to assume airlines are going to operate significantly more flights than they do now.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by freakazoid
ANA posted their July schedule and as correctly assumed earlier, it's basically the same as in June. https://www.anahd.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200206/ (Notice the timetables can be scrolled vertically and horizontally) As long as international travel restrictions stay in place, no reason to assume airlines are going to operate significantly more flights than they do now.
Actually, they operate less flights in July than in June. But probably more relevant in the ANA forum, not the JAL forum.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: JAL
I have flown JAL 788, 789 and 773 on multiple sectors between Sydney and Japan and NRT and the east coast USA. I prefer the 787 over 773, but have had no concerns whatsoever.

I'm hoping to fly JAL to Europe when able to do so.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Looking back at this thread it's a bit sad / funny. I wish that the JAL option could be possible. So far I'm still holding out hope that the JAL flights for July would be possible, but it's uncertain. I may need to take the 16 hour SIN->LAX flight with SQ instead. I made a thread about that today: How to survive SIN-LAX route, and what to expect w/ COVID?

It may not sound like it but this discussion and posts has helped me to prepare mentally even with all the uncertainties surrounding COVID-19 and air travel over the last three months. I'm thankful for these forums to post these thoughts and concerns, and get a bit of feedback and help from folks who are way more experienced than I am with flying.
SKT-DK and inego like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.