Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?

How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?

Old Jun 1, 20, 6:23 am
  #1  
formerly treepuppy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
Lightbulb How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?

Since turbine and engine issues started to come out in the news a few years ago, I have tried to avoid taking 787-9s and 787-8s. I am a nervous flier, and recovering from aviophobia - or a bad case of fear of flying.

I have been in Singapore for the last year, and been working on a way back to Seattle.

First can I ask from the experts in this forum.. Has the set July schedule been published? Right now if I search JAL's web site for SIN to SEA, I am seeing everyday in July available. I'm thinking of taking these flights. Basically, I preferably want the stopover in Japan, because the 15 hours non-stop with Singapore Airlines is a long time to be on a plane. I would much rather take a break in the middle in Japan, even if it's only for two hours. But that's me as a nervous flier.

The other concern I have is just simply getting some feedback and maybe some reassurance about JAL's 787 fleet. I did a bunch of reading on ANA's 787 fleet, and it sounds like ANA has been pretty good with maintenance. Maybe because I have taken ANA numerous times over the years, and never flown with JAL before, and perhaps it sounds like a silly question.. but can I trust JAL's maintenance on the 787 as much as I trust ANA's? I have read in the news that ANA was very proactive with replacing the engine blade turbines on their 787 fleet last year and performing safety checks on the durability of said turbines.

I can't find as much news or information about the JAL fleet to be honest, and I spent some time trying to search today. I did find that a lot of JAL's 787-9s have the RR Trent-1000 engines. Though after the Trent-1000 issues were discovered.. they also discovered premature wearing on the GE engines turbine blades as well a couple years ago.

I just wanted to ask and try to find out any information and options on JAL's feet. I know in terms of interior comfort.. it's great, right? Because economy class only has two seats on each side instead of three.

I wanted to take Delta's new A330-900NEO planes (also two per row) from HND, but unfortunately, there isn't really a schedule that makes sense from Singapore to take it. So that's why I'm mainly either considering the Singapore Airlines A350-900 flight direct from Singapore or preferably a stop in Japan with either JAL or ANA, and JAL is about $500 less costly on the wallet. Any additional info or reassurance about JAL and their 787-9s and 8s would be helpful to help me decide which flight to choose. Of course, hopefully these flights are actually going to operate in July.

Thank you
FlyingSloth is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 9:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 191
Iím sure if JAL is operating the aircraft, then there is nothing to worry about.

Had a quick look, JAL operate some flights between SIN and TYO using 787s, but TYO to SEA is 767s, so if you want to fly on the 787s via Japan, then ANA is your only option.

FYI, none of JAL 787s powered by Trent1000, they are all GE engines powered. All ANA current 787s are powered by Trent1000, but ANA placed another order of 20 787s early this year and they will be GEs.
rontse is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:15 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,663
JAL operates their 787 fleets with GE engines, so the faneblade issue that has been plaguing a lot of carriers are not an issue for JAL. These issues are tied to the Rolls Royce engines.

I have absolute confidence in JAL, their maintenance, and their operations.

JAL's international economy class is the most comfortable 787 out there. They are the only carrier left with 8 seats across, and they have 34" pitch on the sky suite 787. The food is very nice, and service is good. All in all, JAL is probably the best economy product out there

The 34" pitch is also found on the sky suite 767, sky suite 777-200ER, and the 777-300ER.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 1, 20 at 5:24 pm
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 1, 20, 9:55 pm
  #4  
formerly treepuppy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
Red face

Originally Posted by rontse View Post
Iím sure if JAL is operating the aircraft, then there is nothing to worry about.

Had a quick look, JAL operate some flights between SIN and TYO using 787s, but TYO to SEA is 767s, so if you want to fly on the 787s via Japan, then ANA is your only option.

FYI, none of JAL 787s powered by Trent1000, they are all GE engines powered. All ANA current 787s are powered by Trent1000, but ANA placed another order of 20 787s early this year and they will be GEs.
Thank you for your reply. I double-checked.. but for NRT->SEA I'm still seeing that it is operated by 787-8s. Can you please check again?

That's interesting. I read on an article that some of JAL's 787-9s use Trent-1000s: https://simpleflying.com/japan-airlines-787-door-seal/

Apparently even the GE engines on the 787s were found to have issues, in some cases, with the turbine blades wearing faster than expected, but I guess the issue is not as bad as with the Trent-1000 engines.
FlyingSloth is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:00 pm
  #5  
formerly treepuppy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
Unhappy

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JAL operates their 787 fleets with GE engines, so the faneblade issue that has been plaguing a lot of carriers are not an issue for JAL. These issues are tied to the Rolls Royce engines.

I have absolute confidence in JAL, their maintenance, and their operations.

JAL's international economy class is the most comfortable 787 out there. They are the only carrier left with 8 seats across, and they have 34" pitch on the sky suite 787. The food is very nice, and service is good. All in all, JAL is probably the best economy product out there

The 34" pitch is also found on the sky suite 767, sky suite 777-200ER, and the 777-300ER.
I'm really glad to hear that. I wonder why JAL's price for SIN-TYO-SEA is so much cheaper than ANA right now. You would think that both would want to make the price more attractive.

I wonder also how can I be sure that the SIN-TYO and TYO-SEA route are, in fact, operating in July? I plan to call, but usually when I've called airlines during the pandemic, they always just say.. 'check the schedule.. but we can't guarantee anything'.. and so far Japan Airlines did not reply to my tweets on Twitter asking about it. Will JAL publish an official set schedule for July? Or have they already? I'm just trying to make plans which involves booking hotels and many other arrangements, and want to try to be as sure as possible that the flights that keep getting postponed will actually operate. The tickets are certainly available for purchase on their web site, but so too were the SIN-SEA flights available for purchase on Singapore Airline's web site up until about 12 hours ago, and then the flight options just disappeared from the web site as they were cancelled/postponed again. This has been so challenging trying to make a plan.
FlyingSloth is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:16 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,663
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth View Post
Thank you for your reply. I double-checked.. but for NRT->SEA I'm still seeing that it is operated by 787-8s. Can you please check again?

That's interesting. I read on an article that some of JAL's 787-9s use Trent-1000s: https://simpleflying.com/japan-airlines-787-door-seal/

Apparently even the GE engines on the 787s were found to have issues, in some cases, with the turbine blades wearing faster than expected, but I guess the issue is not as bad as with the Trent-1000 engines.
I apart from the link there, the only references I can find to JAL and Rolls Royce Trent engines are on the yet to be delivered A350-1000. JAL is very much a GE engine airline. And unless there were some briefly leased 787-9, I think a blog writer there got it wrong.

There are small issues of various kinds on all airliners and engines. Most never get any attention, and don't deserve any, some get a lot of attention and probably don't deserve it. The question really is, did it cause any incidents, or just updated maintenance schedules. The Trent issue is on updated (increased frequency) maintenance schedules, any GE fan blade cases have not even reached that stage.
FlyingSloth likes this.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 2, 20, 12:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 66
Just want to emphasize point above on updated maintenance schedules. As a flyer, often 0 safety risk, cost to engine maker/airline though having to pull from rotation and added maintenance cost is a drag on profit (remember when airlines had those!).

Now if you do want to freak yourself out a little bit, there is an Al Jazeera documentary on the 787. It makes for some uncomfortable viewing. Particularly with what we now know about the 737 max. But, the same state that owns Al Jazeera also owns Qatar Airways and flies the 787.

bottom line. You are going to be fine!
FlyingSloth likes this.
joaozinho is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:56 am
  #8  
formerly treepuppy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by joaozinho View Post
Just want to emphasize point above on updated maintenance schedules. As a flyer, often 0 safety risk, cost to engine maker/airline though having to pull from rotation and added maintenance cost is a drag on profit (remember when airlines had those!).

Now if you do want to freak yourself out a little bit, there is an Al Jazeera documentary on the 787. It makes for some uncomfortable viewing. Particularly with what we now know about the 737 max. But, the same state that owns Al Jazeera also owns Qatar Airways and flies the 787.

bottom line. You are going to be fine!
I saw part of that doc I think. It was the one where they were covering the reports about safety lapses taken during the manufacturing process of the 787s in South Carolina, right? Do you know hold any concerns over it? Just wondering.. trying to learn more about it to reassure myself
FlyingSloth is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:14 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,663
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth View Post
I saw part of that doc I think. It was the one where they were covering the reports about safety lapses taken during the manufacturing process of the 787s in South Carolina, right? Do you know hold any concerns over it? Just wondering.. trying to learn more about it to reassure myself
I never saw the documentary myself. They made some pretty strong allegations. Boeing (of course) claimed it was a hatchet job. It certainly has not stopped airlines from neither buying nor flying the 787. Qatar Airways have it in their contracts that they will not be accepting airframes from the Charleston plant. But Al Baker has always liked to be controversial.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:19 am
  #10  
formerly treepuppy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 216
Question

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I never saw the documentary myself. They made some pretty strong allegations. Boeing (of course) claimed it was a hatchet job. It certainly has not stopped airlines from neither buying nor flying the 787. Qatar Airways have it in their contracts that they will not be accepting airframes from the Charleston plant. But Al Baker has always liked to be controversial.
That's interesting. Did JAL's 787s arrive from the Charleston plant?
FlyingSloth is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:41 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,663
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth View Post
That's interesting. Did JAL's 787s arrive from the Charleston plant?
Researching a bit, Qatar Airways has actually after their initial rumblings taken jets from Charleston. So has every airline operating the 787-10 as that is only produced in Charleston (hello ANA). In all likelihood with the size of the ANA and JAL 787 fleets, there is a very good chance that they both have -8 or -9 models from Charleston.

While there was for a while a lot of media stories about that, it probably drew far more attention than it deserved.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 2, 20, 4:54 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 81
Just a thought regarding your stopover vs non-stop strategy, is it possible that one's anxiety might be worse with the stopover? Waiting for the flight, another take off and landing cycle, I only ask as a pretty nervous flyer myself and it's those bits which can get to me rather than cruising along at 40k feet. I had by chance an American Airlines pilot on the same day long tour I was on in NZ a couple years back, he was a captain who flew 787s out of LAX to SYD I think it was. He was v patient at indulging my constant questions and amateur observations about aviation and we inevitably ended up talking about safety at some point, I recall him saying the safest airlines he'd happily jump on with his family were AA (obvs), BA, Lufthansa and JAL. Hope you sort out your flight and have a safe journey home.
arkellvspressdram is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 9:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth View Post
Thank you for your reply. I double-checked.. but for NRT->SEA I'm still seeing that it is operated by 787-8s. Can you please check again?

That's interesting. I read on an article that some of JAL's 787-9s use Trent-1000s: https://simpleflying.com/japan-airlines-787-door-seal/

Apparently even the GE engines on the 787s were found to have issues, in some cases, with the turbine blades wearing faster than expected, but I guess the issue is not as bad as with the Trent-1000 engines.
Sorry, didnít realise you want to fly in July! JAL is operating the 787s till Oct, looks like then they swap it to 767s from Nov onward.

JAL definitely only has GE engines on their 787s, both -8 and -9. Their website confirms that. The author of that article may have got it wrong. Anyway, both Trent1000 and GEnx have there own problems, but like everyone says, itís perfectly safe to fly on these aircraft and they are nice on fly on too!
FlyingSloth likes this.
rontse is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SAN, LAX
Programs: Bonvoy Gold, JMB Crystal
Posts: 71
I'd say any schedule outside of the updated June schedule should be considered placeholders (frequencies and equipment) and only useful as an artifact of plans before the pandemic. At best, you can plan with the published June schedule assuming July will operate at least at the same frequencies. I'd expect July schedule to be published in the next week or two.
lokisnake is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 2:52 pm
  #15  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,359
Originally Posted by lokisnake View Post
I'd say any schedule outside of the updated June schedule should be considered placeholders (frequencies and equipment) and only useful as an artifact of plans before the pandemic. At best, you can plan with the published June schedule assuming July will operate at least at the same frequencies. I'd expect July schedule to be published in the next week or two.
one has to be very optimistic to believe TYO-SEA flight will resume in July.
JALPak is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: