Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How to survive SIN-LAX route, and what to expect w/ COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to survive SIN-LAX route, and what to expect w/ COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Arrow How to survive SIN-LAX route, and what to expect w/ COVID?

I'm a U.S citizen who has posted on these forums a bunch of times since the pandemic started. When the pandemic first started it was scary and it is still scary. I'm someone who has a lot of anxiety about flying, and I have even done therapy on and off for several years over fear of flying. I have tried to educate myself about flying as much as possible, which does help intellectually, but emotionally I still feel pretty scared. The SIN->LAX route is the only way to the United States. It ticks the box of everything that makes me emotionally afraid of flying: 1) Directly over water a majority of the way 2) Extremely long flight with no stopover, worries about having a panic attack during the flight 3) It's a red-eye flight, and historically I've never been able to sleep on airplanes 4) COVID

I have done better at managing my fear of flying over the years, Which has allowed me to travel in Japan, and southeast Asia, and visit my girlfriend in Singapore (Singaporean). But that was managed by taking shorter flights (e.g: Vancouver, Canada -> Tokyo, Tokyo -> Taipei, Taipei -> Singapore), and also by looking forward to things in the places where I'm going.

I have extended my tourist pass in Singapore three times already. I appreciate ICA for doing that. I also think the situation with COVID warranted that. My girlfriend would like me to keep extending it. But I am unsure how many more months I can be a tourist in Singapore. I also worry about the small chance of catching COVID here since no travel insurance covers that, and I don't want to be put into an isolation facility in the unlikely event that would happen. I have a lot of concerns about "what ifs." The lease on our flat also just expired, and we're doing a service apartment temporarily, but it is very costly (of course in Singapore). If I stayed longer, I would move in with my girlfriend's family now that we're in Phase 2 and visits are allowed. However, it would be very crowded. At the same time, I am genuinely terrified about the U.S... I have spent most of my adult life in Asia (China, Thailand, Philippines, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam) working, traveling and living abroad. I am an American, but I often feel like a foreigner when I return to the U.S. The situation with COVID is extremely dangerous in the U.S. I feel almost certain, I will catch COVID if I go back. I also worry about the violence and lack of safety in the U.S. I know that is a lot of personal details to share. Just giving some background on how I'm viewing this situation.

Regardless though it seems most likely in a few weeks that I'll need to take the SIN->LAX flight with SQ. It is the only direct flight from Singapore to the U.S and stopovers in Japan and Taiwan aren't possible. There's a stopover in Korea option, but the schedule makes no sense. The schedules through Europe are also significantly longer to reach the west coast of the U.S. I have never taken a flight this long in my life as the SIN->LAX flight is 15 hours+ Typically the longest flight I've ever done is 9 hours. Due to anxiety and panic attacks that are also triggered by lack of sleep, I have always avoided at all costs taking a red eye flight. The SIN->LAX flight is also a red eye flight. I'm pretty sure I can only sleep if I have three seats empty and can lay down. Even then any turbulence may prevent me from sleeping. I don't take or use any drugs. I also stopped drinking alcohol a few years ago for health reasons (dry eye problem -- another thing I worry about with flights too!).

My question is simply how to survive and get through this flight? Any tips of advance? What to expect on this long-haul flight with SQ especially during COVID times? If I talk to the air stewardesses when I board and let them know I'm an anxious / nervous flyer, do you think they will be helpful even during COVID times? Or would it just cause them extra stress? It's no longer possible to choose seats in advance for SQ flights (the option disappeared about a week ago) and now a "seating manager" is handling the seats. You also cannot see how many seats are vacant. So there's no way to know which date has more seats available. With transit being allowed through Changi and green lanes with China, Australia, and New Zealand.. I don't know if the flight will be full or not. I do feel like to be able to sleep that I need those three seats in a row to lay down. I cannot afford to buy three seats though. So it all seems based on luck and chance. I also want to minimize having a panic attack by at least being able to close my eyes and try to sleep. I cannot afford to take business or first class (it's like 8 - 10x more expensive).

As you can see there is a lot of worries and stress about this flight. Every single day I'm thinking non-stop about it even weeks in advance. It's affecting me a lot so I decided to post about it. I feel like the A350-900 is a pretty good plane. Although in the past, I always felt more safe (again, probably an emotional thing) on a four engine plane like a A380-800 or a 777-300ER.

I don't even have any reason to go to L.A. I'm only going to L.A because that's the only option. The next day I would need to take a 2.5 hour flight from L.A to my real destination on an old A320 with Alaska Airlines (which also makes me extremely nervous).

It would be better perhaps if I had something to look forward to in the U.S. But everyone I love is in Asia, my kids, my girlfriend, most of my friends. This is a very confusing and uncertain time. When I go back to the U.S, I'm basically starting over from nothing during a pandemic, even with all the political turmoil in the U.S. What a crazy time in the world, and also in my life. In the past, normally I get over fear of flying because I'm genuinely looking forward to going where I'm going. This is the first time where I am dreading where I am going and don't even know what will happen, not just the flights, but also after I arrive.

I know this post is scatterbrained and all over the place (it's the stress!) but has anyone taken this flight SQ38 recently? What was it like? How did it feel compared to pre-COVID times? Thank you for any insight, advice, tips, etc. Thank you for letting me share this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: Alaska
Why not transit HKG now that HKG can transit? It is slightly shorter(HKG-LAX) and you can fly to SFO, too.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: UA
Just knock yourself out using various pharmaceuticals (sleeping pills). You'll be there in no time. This covid pandemic is largely overblown and has very little impact on younger people.
As for the riots, it'll die down after people are allowed to go about their business again. Being cooked up for too long has built too much pent up energy.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
Why not transit HKG now that HKG can transit? It is slightly shorter(HKG-LAX) and you can fly to SFO, too.
Main reason is I'm slowly adjusting to U.S time (going to bed later every night and waking up later), so catching the 6AM flight to HKG would be a little hard this way.. because now I'm sleeping at 3AM at night. I need 6 - 8 hours to feel sane. If the HKG flight were later in the day, I'd certainly look at this option.

The other smaller reason is cost / miles. I'm going to use 38k Chase points on the SQ flight vs. 44k for Mileage Plus.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a5un
Just knock yourself out using various pharmaceuticals (sleeping pills). You'll be there in no time. This covid pandemic is largely overblown and has very little impact on younger people.
As for the riots, it'll die down after people are allowed to go about their business again. Being cooked up for too long has built too much pent up energy.
I've had some bad reactions to pharmaceuticals. I know some people can just pop pills. I did that in my 20's, but can't do it anymore. If anything I would load up on chamomile tea before the flight, even though chamomile is not that strong. Definitely as someone who is into health / nutrition there are some supplements that help to some small degree.

My big concern is not sleeping, or waking up after only an hour of sleep during turbulence and having a panic attack. I'm also not sure what the on board experience is like now for long haul SQ flights. Are the flights really half empty? Are the air stewardesses as distant as possible to avoid contact? Are passengers not allowed to get up to stretch their legs, etc.? That kind of thing.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I wish you all the best but I don’t think you’re going to learn anything new than you have in the multiple previous nearly identical threads. You’ve received a lot of good advice, just go over that. Good luck.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I wish you all the best but I don’t think you’re going to learn anything new than you have in the multiple previous nearly identical threads. You’ve received a lot of good advice, just go over that. Good luck.
You're right I need to reread all of the previous replies too to refresh memory. It's been about a month or so. Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Do you honestly need to go back to the US? That would give me far more anxiety right now than the flight itself. Stay in Singapore and stay safe. Marry your girl if you have to, but returning to the US right now is not the brightest decision.
Scifience and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
You're right I need to reread all of the previous replies too to refresh memory. It's been about a month or so. Thank you!
I agree with LondonElite, reread all the replies to your previous threads on this subject especially this one from a couple of weeks ago:
Deeply Afraid of Flying, Red-Eyes, Must Take 16 Hour Red-Eye Flight During Pandemic
People have been attempting to help you with this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Main reason is I'm slowly adjusting to U.S time (going to bed later every night and waking up later), so catching the 6AM flight to HKG would be a little hard this way.. because now I'm sleeping at 3AM at night. I need 6 - 8 hours to feel sane. If the HKG flight were later in the day, I'd certainly look at this option.

The other smaller reason is cost / miles. I'm going to use 38k Chase points on the SQ flight vs. 44k for Mileage Plus.
Perhaps suck it up? If you're worried about flying are your sleeping timings such a big deal? Isn't the priority to get back with the least amount of fuss?

It sounds like you'll be coming back at some point to visit the GF... How do you plan on so much long haul travel with your condition?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Four things:

1) 777-300ER is also two engined, not four
2) if you can fly in business class on the SIN-LAX nonstop, do it, the more flights and airports you pass through, the better the odds of contracting coronavirus
3) your odds of contracting coronavirus, even in the US remain extremely low and your odds of dying from it are exponentially lower, your odds of dying in a plane crash are exponentially lower than that
4) pound a few glasses of champagne and a couple Singapore Slings and sleep like a baby
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I agree with LondonElite, reread all the replies to your previous threads on this subject especially this one from a couple of weeks ago:
Deeply Afraid of Flying, Red-Eyes, Must Take 16 Hour Red-Eye Flight During Pandemic
An extra help. Try this. Non medicinal. It's helped me get into "sleeping mood" better than melatonin.

https://sg.iherb.com/pr/Dream-Water-...-g-Each/68516?

They ship quite quickly to Singapore, hopefully in time for the start of your flight home.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:55 pm

Marry and stay put

You keep going on about being anxious about flying. Simple, don’t fly.

Anxious about moving back to N. America?

Don’t go back.

Visa renewals an impossibility?

Get married (were your kids with the same partner? More reason to do so).

Stay in Singapore, eventually you’ll be able to move out of your wife’s family flat.

Stay positive and safe!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1
Perhaps suck it up? If you're worried about flying are your sleeping timings such a big deal? Isn't the priority to get back with the least amount of fuss?

It sounds like you'll be coming back at some point to visit the GF... How do you plan on so much long haul travel with your condition?
The sleep is the crux of the entire issue because a lot of my panic / anxiety is triggered from lack of sleep as mentioned. I have no idea how to sleep on the plane considering I have never successfully been able to sleep on a plane before. For a flight taking off at 8PM with a duration of 16 hours, it's vital to get some sleep.

I'm pretty sure Singapore will be closed indefinitely until there is a vaccine except for a few "green channels" between Australia and China, etc. Therefore, once I leave.. that's it. I'd like to think more optimistically, but practically speaking I don't believe there will be any chance to see my girlfriend in person for 1 or 2 years at least. Who knows how much the world will change during that time or what will happen in the U.S. You can see why there are a lot of concerns in this particular situation. I don't think it's just an issue of sucking it up. I've sucked it up in the past during past trips in pre-coronavirus times.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I read all the replies again last night. I've also saved a copy for my phone. Super awesome replies! Very happy with the variety of replies and points of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.