Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by kentauta
JL say JL1 (SFO-HND), JL3 (JFK-NRT), JL5 (JFK-HND), JL9 (ORD-NRT) JL65 (SAN-NRT) and JL61 (LAX-NRT) were all cancelled today (Oct 12), but flightaware shows they are all actually currently flying or have flown. I saw a similar thing last month when typhoon Faxai swept the Kanto area, and found it odd. Are all these results of un-cancellation or I am missing something?
today is already Oct 13th in Japan..
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
today is already Oct 13th in Japan..
Yes, but when JL say these flights originally scheduled to depart on Oct 12 (Sat) were cancelled, that has to mean the local time of the departing city. And these flights all departed on Oct 12 (Sat) local time.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:00 am

Example:
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
JL say JL1 (SFO-HND), JL3 (JFK-NRT), JL5 (JFK-HND), JL9 (ORD-NRT) JL65 (SAN-NRT) and JL61 (LAX-NRT) were all cancelled today (Oct 12), but flightaware shows they are all actually currently flying or have flown. I saw a similar thing last month when typhoon Faxai swept the Kanto area, and found it odd. Are all these results of un-cancellation or I am missing something?
The exact same thing happened to me last month. JAL said flight was canceled and lo and behold, it shows up 6 hours late.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: JGC premier
This is different from my case as in our case, the flight status shows properly on JL website (cancelled and then departing on time).

Conversely, during last month’s typhoon, my flight showed as departing on time but was actually delayed by 2+ hours.

Anyway, so I guess the best course of action in this kind of irregular situation is to sit tight and hope for the best outcome, rather than settling for second-best option.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Example:
During last month's Typhoon no. 15, Sept.9 JL 8 NRT-BOS was listed as cancelled on JAL website but FlightAware showed that JL 8 took off from NRT past 11 p.m. on Sept. 9 arriving BOS past 10 p.m. This JL 8 on Sept. 9 took off without passengers, crew only. Due to typhoon catering was out of service and JAL could not stock any food and drinks on this 12 hrs,. flight. But JAL wanted to bring aircraft and crew to BOS so that they could operate JL 7 BOS-NRT on Sept. 10.

I am guessing same kind of situation for Oct. 12 JL65 SAN-NRT. During last month's Typhoon no. 15 NRT was open for operation on Sept. 9 and accepted arriving flights as usual. However, both roads and rails to NRT was damaged by the typhoon and there was no bus and train service out of NRT all day long on Sept. 9. where about 170000 passengers were stuck at NRT not able to get out of NRT and close to 130000 people spent over night at NRT.

NRT airport authority was trying to avoid same situation on Sunday, Oct. 13. JR East has announced that the train service will be out least till noon on Sunday, 13th and Keisei and Limousine Bus just could not guarantee there would have been service on Sunday. NRT Airport authority announced that they will not accept arriving flights on Sunday, Oct. 13th to avoid the same situation as Typhoon no. 15 on September. My guess is that JL wanted to bring aircraft and crew back from SAN to resume operation on Monday, 14th, likely airport authority agreed if JAL would not carry passengers into NRT and JAL likely thought it is worth doing that.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Did not check too many flights, but SK983 from Copenhagen arrived in Narita about an hour late today (13th) and departed again for Copenhagen. So Narita was not sealed of from arriving or departing passenger flights.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
NRT was open for operation on Sunday, Oct. 13. NRT did not receive damage by the typhoon to close the airport. All NRT Airport Authority could do was to ask airlines not to bring passenger into NRT due to what happened on Sept. 9 last months. Many international aviation practices was copied from international nautical practice, where there is international agreement that all ports will be open to any vessel in sea. Along with same line airports are open to all aircraft in air. NRT Airport Authority did not have any legal authority to tell airlines not to bring flights into NRT on Sunday, Oct. 13, all NRT Airport Authority could do as ask and encourage airlines to not bring their flights to NRT on Sunday, Oct. 13.

Legally SAS could fly CPH-NRT and NRT-CPH according to a bilateral agreement between EU and Japan, there was nothing SAS from preventing for making that flight arrived on Sunday, 13th. I think simply JAL decided to comply with the request of NRT Airport Authority and SAS decided to make a flight which they had full legal right to do so.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
During last month's Typhoon no. 15, Sept.9 JL 8 NRT-BOS was listed as cancelled on JAL website but FlightAware showed that JL 8 took off from NRT past 11 p.m. on Sept. 9 arriving BOS past 10 p.m. This JL 8 on Sept. 9 took off without passengers, crew only. Due to typhoon catering was out of service and JAL could not stock any food and drinks on this 12 hrs,. flight. But JAL wanted to bring aircraft and crew to BOS so that they could operate JL 7 BOS-NRT on Sept. 10.
I see. So it is possible that some or all of the flights I mentioned flew without passengers or a limited number of passengers who had not cancelled and available at the departing airport. From an operational point of view, it makes sense to minimize ripple effects.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
NRT was open for operation on Sunday, Oct. 13. NRT did not receive damage by the typhoon to close the airport. All NRT Airport Authority could do was to ask airlines not to bring passenger into NRT due to what happened on Sept. 9 last months. Many international aviation practices was copied from international nautical practice, where there is international agreement that all ports will be open to any vessel in sea. Along with same line airports are open to all aircraft in air. NRT Airport Authority did not have any legal authority to tell airlines not to bring flights into NRT on Sunday, Oct. 13, all NRT Airport Authority could do as ask and encourage airlines to not bring their flights to NRT on Sunday, Oct. 13.

Legally SAS could fly CPH-NRT and NRT-CPH according to a bilateral agreement between EU and Japan, there was nothing SAS from preventing for making that flight arrived on Sunday, 13th. I think simply JAL decided to comply with the request of NRT Airport Authority and SAS decided to make a flight which they had full legal right to do so.
I am surprised the SK would have overheard that request. It is rather unusual behaviour.

Very interesting, thank you for the explanation.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sandonkey
I agree with what you've written above, but I am surprised JAL doesn't seem to have a more flexible policy that allows people to proactively rebook their flights ahead of a weather event. I was in Japan when the the storm went from nothing much to super-typhoon in 24 hours. With my Sunday NRT-SAN J-class flight looking very iffy (and not being too excited about spending the weekend in Tokyo as it is battered by the strongest-in-60-years super typhoon), I sought to depart Japan on Thursday or Friday. Unfortunately, there were no J-class seats available on NRT-SAN (confirmed on ExpertFlyer), and the website only allowed changes if my origin and destination remained the same. So, I was forced to try to get a hold of someone in the understandably over-taxed call centers. I spent a couple hours trying to get ahold of someone at the US reservation number as the Japanese line hadn't yet started for the day. (Maybe there is a 24-hour line for Japanese speakers, but their isn't for English). I never got a hold of an agent on the US line over the course of a couple hours. I started trying the English line in Japan at 8am (their opening time for international reservations). I was finally able to speak with someone after being on hold for 45 minutes. After finally getting her to understand that I wanted to change my destination from SAN to SEA, I was advised that they could not waive the $250 change fee because I was not keeping the same origin-destination. I asked if they could book me NRT-SEA-SAN as they partner with Alaska, but she couldn't because JAL had supposedly already used their seat allotment from Alaska on the SEA-SAN flight. (Seemed ridiculous to me, but that was what I was told.) So I would be on the hook for a $250 change fee as well as the fare difference which ended up being $2400+ (in addition to the $500 spent on the SEA-SAN ticket from Alaska). And don't get me started on the fact that this change ultimately required the agent to advise me she couldn't figure out how to calculate the fare difference, and would have to call me back. And when she did call me back, she asked me to hold so she could get an interpreter to join us for a 3-way conversation despite the fact I was supposedly dealing with someone capable enough to be tasked to the English customer service line.)

In cases like this typhoon, I would think JAL would be attempting to minimize the number of people who will be affected/stranded by a weather event by any means possible (including allowing someone to change their destination if it means they can get away from the area to be affected. Perhaps I am incorrect, but I am under the impression most US airlines are more flexible in accommodating flight changes ahead of a weather event.
Closing the loop on my situation from a few weeks ago, JAL will be refunding me the fare difference plus change fee that they had originally charged my credit card. It took a few conversations last week with a couple of people in their US call center (presumably LA given the 310 area code), but all is well that ends well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.