Need help with cancelled flight

Old Oct 10, 19, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Need help with cancelled flight

My JL1 flight tomorrow was cancelled (booked as AA award), I would expect JAL is responsible to rebook me however after waiting 2 hours on hold they told me to call AA. I then called AA who said they can't help and I need to call JAL. Could anyone advise who is responsibe for rebooking me, the flight leaves in about 24 hours so shouldn't JAL be in charge of the ticket by this point?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When does JAL open OLCI for their flights? That's normally when the ticket goes under airport control and hence would be handled by the operating carrier, JAL in this case. Sometimes airport agents have more flexibility during IROPs than phone agents, so depending on details going to the airport very early might be your best strategy.

In the meantime, have you decided what new flight(s) you want? If AA is selling seats in your cabin, they should be able to open new award inventory for you (at low or saver level if that's what you have) on any of their own (operated/metal) flights. Also, is the cancellation showing up officially on the JAL website and also on the AA website if it's a codeshare.
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
When does JAL open OLCI for their flights? That's normally when the ticket goes under airport control and hence would be handled by the operating carrier, JAL in this case.
Thanks for the quick reply, it's 24 hours before departure in this case
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you try doing OLCI on the JAL website, does it offer you any alternate flights? If so, is there a flight you want that can be chosen?
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you try doing OLCI on the JAL website, does it offer you any alternate flights? If so, is there a flight you want that can be chosen?
Doesn't allow me to check in yet... probably need to wait another hour as it would then be T-24.. will report back. Unfortunately when I try to call JAL I just get a busy signal and can't even wait on hold at this time. What a mess.
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Doesn't allow me to check in yet... probably need to wait another hour as it would then be T-24.. will report back. Unfortunately when I try to call JAL I just get a busy signal and can't even wait on hold at this time. What a mess.
It is AA's responsibility to rebook you not JAL as flight is canceled in advanced
wrp96, Often1 and invalyd like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
It is AA's responsibility to rebook you not JAL as flight is canceled in advanced
Thank you, does that change once it is within 24 hours before departure?? Spoke to 2 AA agents now, they said there is nothing they can do
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the day of travel, it is the carrier causing the cancellation / delay which is responsible for IRROPS handling. At all other times, it is the ticketing carrier.

If your flight is tomorrow, it is not yet the day of travel and thus it is AA's responsibility. It will become JL's when the clock strikes 12.

That said, it will be far better for you if you do the proactive research for alternatives and have those ready to propose to AA/JL.
wrp96 and invalyd like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
JAL (and ANA) seems to have (over(?))reacted and cancelled most domestic and international flight in Haneda and Narita for Saturday the 12th. ANA did all domestic in fact. I do hope they are not sending their call center staff home early due to storm conditions, as they have a storm of calls on their hands....
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
On the day of travel, it is the carrier causing the cancellation / delay which is responsible for IRROPS handling. At all other times, it is the ticketing carrier.

If your flight is tomorrow, it is not yet the day of travel and thus it is AA's responsibility. It will become JL's when the clock strikes 12.

That said, it will be far better for you if you do the proactive research for alternatives and have those ready to propose to AA/JL.
Thanks, that was my understanding but after speaking to AA again a nice agent clarified she couldn't do anything unless an award seat was open and they have understandably blacked out award seats.

Unfortunately JAL is pretty much unreachable at this point..phone goes to a busy signal in every single call center i try.

ANA just delayed their SFO flight by 24 hours , not sure why JAL wouldn't do the same here.
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Thanks, that was my understanding but after speaking to AA again a nice agent clarified she couldn't do anything unless an award seat was open and they have understandably blacked out award seats.

Unfortunately JAL is pretty much unreachable at this point..phone goes to a busy signal in every single call center i try.

ANA just delayed their SFO flight by 24 hours , not sure why JAL wouldn't do the same here.
That is the problem with award tickets, that when issued by carrier A for flights on carrier B, carrier A will generally only rebook to award inventory when a flight is cancelled. Last minute award inventory often tricky, and in a situation like this impossible.

So AA is not saying they will not help you, they are just saying within the realm of what the agents are allowed to do, there is no seats available. If you live close to SFO you could potentially go out there when check in opens and talk to the staff there. Expect it not to be quick though.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That is the problem with award tickets, that when issued by carrier A for flights on carrier B, carrier A will generally only rebook to award inventory when a flight is cancelled. Last minute award inventory often tricky, and in a situation like this impossible.

So AA is not saying they will not help you, they are just saying within the realm of what the agents are allowed to do, there is no seats available. If you live close to SFO you could potentially go out there when check in opens and talk to the staff there. Expect it not to be quick though.
Just got back from SFO actually. agent was no help. Told me JL1 is completely booked for the next 3 days to keep trying the dial tone signal.

I do think JAL is the one dropping the ball here by being unreachable. If you intend to cancel every single one of your flights, you need to have customer service reps reachable to be able to help, even if it requires a long hold.

Last edited by invalyd; Oct 10, 19 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately the AA agent is correct.

But, it is even worse because it appears that there is no availability at all.

On the day of travel, you become JL's problem and JL can rebook you into any available seat on JL metal. Just hope for openings.
Old Oct 10, 19, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Unfortunately the AA agent is correct.

But, it is even worse because it appears that there is no availability at all.

On the day of travel, you become JL's problem and JL can rebook you into any available seat on JL metal. Just hope for openings.
If only JL was reachable though...
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Just got back from SFO actually. agent was no help. Told me JL1 is completely booked for the next 3 days to keep trying the dial tone signal.

I do think JAL is the one dropping the ball here by being unreachable. If you intend to cancel every single one of your flights, you need to have customer service reps reachable to be able to help, even if it requires a long hold.
As I said it is AAs responsibly to rebook. Whether JL is reachable is wont change the outcome. You can ask AA to reroute you to SFO-LAX-TYO all on their own metal. This is within their own control.
MSPeconomist and Often1 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: