FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Need help with cancelled flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1990804-need-help-cancelled-flight.html)

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Need help with cancelled flight

My JL1 flight tomorrow was cancelled (booked as AA award), I would expect JAL is responsible to rebook me however after waiting 2 hours on hold they told me to call AA. I then called AA who said they can't help and I need to call JAL. Could anyone advise who is responsibe for rebooking me, the flight leaves in about 24 hours so shouldn't JAL be in charge of the ticket by this point?

Thanks in advance

MSPeconomist Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm

When does JAL open OLCI for their flights? That's normally when the ticket goes under airport control and hence would be handled by the operating carrier, JAL in this case. Sometimes airport agents have more flexibility during IROPs than phone agents, so depending on details going to the airport very early might be your best strategy.

In the meantime, have you decided what new flight(s) you want? If AA is selling seats in your cabin, they should be able to open new award inventory for you (at low or saver level if that's what you have) on any of their own (operated/metal) flights. Also, is the cancellation showing up officially on the JAL website and also on the AA website if it's a codeshare.

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31614280)
When does JAL open OLCI for their flights? That's normally when the ticket goes under airport control and hence would be handled by the operating carrier, JAL in this case.

Thanks for the quick reply, it's 24 hours before departure in this case

MSPeconomist Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

If you try doing OLCI on the JAL website, does it offer you any alternate flights? If so, is there a flight you want that can be chosen?

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31614305)
If you try doing OLCI on the JAL website, does it offer you any alternate flights? If so, is there a flight you want that can be chosen?

Doesn't allow me to check in yet... probably need to wait another hour as it would then be T-24.. will report back. Unfortunately when I try to call JAL I just get a busy signal and can't even wait on hold at this time. What a mess.

JALPak Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 31614322)
Doesn't allow me to check in yet... probably need to wait another hour as it would then be T-24.. will report back. Unfortunately when I try to call JAL I just get a busy signal and can't even wait on hold at this time. What a mess.

It is AA's responsibility to rebook you not JAL as flight is canceled in advanced

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 31614345)
It is AA's responsibility to rebook you not JAL as flight is canceled in advanced

Thank you, does that change once it is within 24 hours before departure?? Spoke to 2 AA agents now, they said there is nothing they can do

Often1 Oct 10, 2019 3:49 pm

On the day of travel, it is the carrier causing the cancellation / delay which is responsible for IRROPS handling. At all other times, it is the ticketing carrier.

If your flight is tomorrow, it is not yet the day of travel and thus it is AA's responsibility. It will become JL's when the clock strikes 12.

That said, it will be far better for you if you do the proactive research for alternatives and have those ready to propose to AA/JL.

CPH-Flyer Oct 10, 2019 4:06 pm

JAL (and ANA) seems to have (over(?))reacted and cancelled most domestic and international flight in Haneda and Narita for Saturday the 12th. ANA did all domestic in fact. I do hope they are not sending their call center staff home early due to storm conditions, as they have a storm of calls on their hands....

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31614408)
On the day of travel, it is the carrier causing the cancellation / delay which is responsible for IRROPS handling. At all other times, it is the ticketing carrier.

If your flight is tomorrow, it is not yet the day of travel and thus it is AA's responsibility. It will become JL's when the clock strikes 12.

That said, it will be far better for you if you do the proactive research for alternatives and have those ready to propose to AA/JL.

Thanks, that was my understanding but after speaking to AA again a nice agent clarified she couldn't do anything unless an award seat was open and they have understandably blacked out award seats.

Unfortunately JAL is pretty much unreachable at this point..phone goes to a busy signal in every single call center i try.

ANA just delayed their SFO flight by 24 hours , not sure why JAL wouldn't do the same here.

CPH-Flyer Oct 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 31614505)
Thanks, that was my understanding but after speaking to AA again a nice agent clarified she couldn't do anything unless an award seat was open and they have understandably blacked out award seats.

Unfortunately JAL is pretty much unreachable at this point..phone goes to a busy signal in every single call center i try.

ANA just delayed their SFO flight by 24 hours , not sure why JAL wouldn't do the same here.

That is the problem with award tickets, that when issued by carrier A for flights on carrier B, carrier A will generally only rebook to award inventory when a flight is cancelled. Last minute award inventory often tricky, and in a situation like this impossible.

So AA is not saying they will not help you, they are just saying within the realm of what the agents are allowed to do, there is no seats available. If you live close to SFO you could potentially go out there when check in opens and talk to the staff there. Expect it not to be quick though.

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 31614521)
That is the problem with award tickets, that when issued by carrier A for flights on carrier B, carrier A will generally only rebook to award inventory when a flight is cancelled. Last minute award inventory often tricky, and in a situation like this impossible.

So AA is not saying they will not help you, they are just saying within the realm of what the agents are allowed to do, there is no seats available. If you live close to SFO you could potentially go out there when check in opens and talk to the staff there. Expect it not to be quick though.

Just got back from SFO actually. agent was no help. Told me JL1 is completely booked for the next 3 days to keep trying the dial tone signal.

I do think JAL is the one dropping the ball here by being unreachable. If you intend to cancel every single one of your flights, you need to have customer service reps reachable to be able to help, even if it requires a long hold.

Often1 Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Unfortunately the AA agent is correct.

But, it is even worse because it appears that there is no availability at all.

On the day of travel, you become JL's problem and JL can rebook you into any available seat on JL metal. Just hope for openings.

invalyd Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31614693)
Unfortunately the AA agent is correct.

But, it is even worse because it appears that there is no availability at all.

On the day of travel, you become JL's problem and JL can rebook you into any available seat on JL metal. Just hope for openings.

If only JL was reachable though...

JALPak Oct 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 31614681)
Just got back from SFO actually. agent was no help. Told me JL1 is completely booked for the next 3 days to keep trying the dial tone signal.

I do think JAL is the one dropping the ball here by being unreachable. If you intend to cancel every single one of your flights, you need to have customer service reps reachable to be able to help, even if it requires a long hold.

As I said it is AA’s responsibly to rebook. Whether JL is reachable is won’t change the outcome. You can ask AA to reroute you to SFO-LAX-TYO all on their own metal. This is within their own control.