Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
To use the Japanese search engine for menu

1. Visit https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/first/ and go to the middle of the page
2. Select the お食事 button for food and 飲み物 button for drink
3. Use the drop down menus to select your month, class of service, departure airport and arrival airport
4. Click the red button to search.
Print Wikipost

JAL Menus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:14 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Thanks again. Another question - how much caviar is typically catered? On Cathay they cater to at least six. Meaning I regularly enjoy seconds, as I trade my dessert for my kids caviar.
Very easy to get seconds. Just let them know you hope for it when you are served and they will pay attention that request if at all possible. Usually it is if most other pax are Japanese as they tend to (not a hard and fast rule but based on 27 years of observation flying JL) go for Japanese options.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
Very easy to get seconds. Just let them know you hope for it when you are served and they will pay attention that request if at all possible. Usually it is if most other pax are Japanese as they tend to (not a hard and fast rule but based on 27 years of observation flying JL) go for Japanese options.
Great. In the past I've asked for caviar + the Japanese meal. And they've always graciously accommodated me. I plan to do the same this time, but with the caveat that my kids will be ordering Western and will happily allocate their caviar to me.

Thanks for your input.

Jamie
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:24 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Great. In the past I've asked for caviar + the Japanese meal. And they've always graciously accommodated me. I plan to do the same this time, but with the caveat that my kids will be ordering Western and will happily allocate their caviar to me.

Thanks for your input.

Jamie
Allocating their caviar would mean they order caviar as their appetizer and give it to you instead. It's not theirs if they don't order it. If there's extra, I am sure the CA will happy to offer you more but you are NOT entitled to them just because you have kids ordering from the Western menu. I am sure if other passengers want it, the CA will just do the same and serve the extra caviar.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
Allocating their caviar would mean they order caviar as their appetizer and give it to you instead. It's not theirs if they don't order it. If there's extra, I am sure the CA will happy to offer you more but you are NOT entitled to them just because you have kids ordering from the Western menu.
Good point. I'll teach them to say "I'd like the caviar, but I'd like if you share it with my father as a surprise.". They're not allowed to speak English on foreign airlines. So this will add to their repertoire!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:55 pm

Good point. I'll teach them to say "I'd like the caviar, but I'd like if you share it with my father as a surprise.". They're not allowed to speak English on foreign airlines. So this will add to their repertoire!
What!? How are they suppose to communicate with the crew!?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:44 pm

Just a passive lurker on the JAL forum but I wanted to chime in and let you all know how much I enjoy the back and forth between JALPak and jamienbaker Keep it up ^^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Originally Posted by benjahman
Just a passive lurker on the JAL forum but I wanted to chime in and let you all know how much I enjoy the back and forth between JALPak and jamienbaker Keep it up ^^
It is really quite something isn't it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by mitellic
It is really quite something isn't it.
Just different views on entitlement
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:12 am

What!? How are they suppose to communicate with the crew!?
A bit more colour - on international flights, I'll let my kids order whatever they want. As much ice cream, as much Sprite...anything goes. The one caveat is that prior to departure, they're required to learn how to ask politely and express their gratitude, but it MUST be in the language of the flight crew.

When they started flying at around 4 and 6, this was a good way to get them thinking about the trip in advance. I also found it helped defuse any initial tension, as certain crews and I'd say the majority of passengers are initially put off by young kids in the Premium cabin. It's quite satisfying to wake from a nap, and find your six year old happily plowing through Sprite and cheesecake, but being reassured by the crew that he asked in Mandarin.

It's less of a big deal now that they're teens. In fact, for JL, there's not a ton to learn. "Diet-o Coke-u onegai shimasu" is certainly easier than what was required on Qatar!!

Jamie
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:20 am
mjm
Original Member

A bit more colour - on international flights, I'll let my kids order whatever they want. As much ice cream, as much Sprite...anything goes. The one caveat is that prior to departure, they're required to learn how to ask politely and express their gratitude, but it MUST be in the language of the flight crew.

When they started flying at around 4 and 6, this was a good way to get them thinking about the trip in advance. I also found it helped defuse any initial tension, as certain crews and I'd say the majority of passengers are initially put off by young kids in the Premium cabin. It's quite satisfying to wake from a nap, and find your six year old happily plowing through Sprite and cheesecake, but being reassured by the crew that he asked in Mandarin.

It's less of a big deal now that they're teens. In fact, for JL, there's not a ton to learn. "Diet-o Coke-u onegai shimasu" is certainly easier than what was required on Qatar!!

Jamie
I quite like this approach to travel and international thinking. Well played.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:47 am

Jamie
But what if they are traveling on CX? Their crew is so diverse they may not understand Cantonese at all LOL
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:26 pm

But what if they are traveling on CX? Their crew is so diverse they may not understand Cantonese at all LOL
Yeah, we actually had that very problem 2 years ago. Kids had to wake me up for guidance.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yeah, we actually had that very problem 2 years ago. Kids had to wake me up for guidance.
It must be a bigger challenge on the likes of EY and EK, there are usually no Emirati flight attendants, and the guess of what language the crew will have as native is basically impossible in advance.
​​
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:35 pm

JFK-HND http://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/m...706_201708.pdf

They updated the Japanese site but not the English one. You can choose HND JFK on the Japanese site.
Could somebody post the JFKNRT beverage menu? US site still not working.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Could somebody post the JFKNRT beverage menu? US site still not working.
Problems posting the link from my phone.... Be back later if no one is quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.