Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renewing JAL Global Club Premier

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
You can also look at flying to Akita and back. I recall that being cheaper than flying to Nagoya and more FOP's, but if you only need 21 fly on points, pretty much anything will get you over that hump because it's 2x mileage + 400 bonus points. There's such a huge service difference between Sapphire and Emerald if you fly a lot, that I'd eat the cost of the tickets to keep the status.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Starting from next year it will only be 150% rather than 200% bonus, so you will need to fly a bit more to renew. Approximately 8-10 legs depending on whether you choose Ishigaki or Okinawa.

https://www.jal.co.jp/content/dam/as...ign/flyon_dom/
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/121campaign/flyon_dom/ - here the english version of the page.

Seems like they are doing subtle tweak here and there lowering the benefit over time. dem that was quite a hit when compare side by side

percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
What the?! No more double FOP month!
That changes my FOP accrual strategy for next year.....
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:11 pm

One more step towards making FFP worthless.
JAL should be more careful. Once it gets free for all, it will not be able to compete in price.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
What the?! No more double FOP month!
That changes my FOP accrual strategy for next year.....
I have always wonder a lot about the value of this "campaign". All it basically does is boost the numbers of JGC members, and boost the number of OWE. but once that is achieved for the members, are they more likely to actually fly JAL?

Reading here (which is a rather small subset of travellers) a lot of the JGC runners are not located in Japan, but rather abroad, so the incremental business JAL achieves from running this campaign, except in the year that people build their JGC status is probably quite limited.

But even for the ones that use this to lift their status to JGP every year, the actual incremental business gained is probably limited for JAL, as they are likely to be mainly JAL flyers to begin with, though the cost in lounge visits in Japan and around the world is going to be rather higher.

We already get double FOP on domestic flights, my typical Okinawa trip bags me 6,700 FOP. now of course getting a another multiplier on that is of course nice, but in relation to the qualifying levels quite absurd for the cost of the ticket. I never plan these trips well enough in advance to get my double FOP month setup in advance.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:23 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have always wonder a lot about the value of this "campaign". All it basically does is boost the numbers of JGC members, and boost the number of OWE. but once that is achieved for the members, are they more likely to actually fly JAL?

Reading here (which is a rather small subset of travellers) a lot of the JGC runners are not located in Japan, but rather abroad, so the incremental business JAL achieves from running this campaign, except in the year that people build their JGC status is probably quite limited.

But even for the ones that use this to lift their status to JGP every year, the actual incremental business gained is probably limited for JAL, as they are likely to be mainly JAL flyers to begin with, though the cost in lounge visits in Japan and around the world is going to be rather higher.

We already get double FOP on domestic flights, my typical Okinawa trip bags me 6,700 FOP. now of course getting a another multiplier on that is of course nice, but in relation to the qualifying levels quite absurd for the cost of the ticket. I never plan these trips well enough in advance to get my double FOP month setup in advance.
The same can be said about that 8000 JALCARD promo, which JAL should just get rid of
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
The same can be said about that 8000 JALCARD promo, which JAL should just get rid of
Be my guest.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:15 am

In order to take this promotion you need to be JGC first, so JAL will get at least 2 years worth of $ from you. At the worst would be JMB Crystal then JGC Sapphire in revenue generated. However, most people would just hit Premier and Diamond anyway as the incremental cost of running Premier and Diamond is relatively lower than just doing Sapphire (extra day or 2 of lodging).

Now if it's just 150% I would see many not bother with running and just keep the JGC Green. An 8 to 10 extra legs that use to get you Premier or Diamond now nets you just Sapphire, probably not worth the time and $ spent. What they should have axed/changed is the 5,000 miles campaign to renew, not this. Make it so you need to fly at least Crystal level to maintain JGC Green or change the renewal amount to 10K.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
In order to take this promotion you need to be JGC first, so JAL will get at least 2 years worth of $ from you. At the worst would be JMB Crystal then JGC Sapphire in revenue generated. However, most people would just hit Premier and Diamond anyway as the incremental cost of running Premier and Diamond is relatively lower than just doing Sapphire (extra day or 2 of lodging).

Now if it's just 150% I would see many not bother with running and just keep the JGC Green. An 8 to 10 extra legs that use to get you Premier or Diamond now nets you just Sapphire, probably not worth the time and $ spent. What they should have axed/changed is the 5,000 miles campaign to renew, not this. Make it so you need to fly at least Crystal level to maintain JGC Green or change the renewal amount to 10K.
True, I forgot that, people are basically JGC before they can use this campaign. Which means it is basically an OWE generator.

Being able to bag 12K FOP by flying to a return to Okinawa is rather high. I don't think it is unreasonable to adjust it downwards.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:53 am

True, I forgot that, people are basically JGC before they can use this campaign. Which means it is basically an OWE generator.

Being able to bag 12K FOP by flying to a return to Okinawa is rather high. I don't think it is unreasonable to adjust it downwards.
I am not saying it's unreasonable to adjust the earnings, I am just saying it's actually better if they kept the earning at 200% and kill the renewal aspect cause many oversea members will not bother if it's 150%. They will just be the JGC Green Sapphire members and I am unsure how much savings JAL make by keeping these members Sapphire while collecting 5,000 miles each year in comparison to filling up the domestic planes with 16 to 20 11,000 yen tickets per one way to generate some Diamond/Premier Emeralds.

Maybe the next step is to kill the JGC Green Sapphire members.

It's only 12K FOP if you are flying First.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not saying it's unreasonable to adjust the earnings, I am just saying it's actually better if they kept the earning at 200% and kill the renewal aspect cause many oversea members will not bother if it's 150%. They will just be the JGC Green Sapphire members and I am unsure how much savings JAL make by keeping these members Sapphire while collecting 5,000 miles each year in comparison to filling up the domestic planes with 16 to 20 11,000 yen tickets per one way to generate some Diamond/Premier Emeralds.

Like ANA Superflyers Card, it should probably be restricted to the Japanese market, I have always wondered a bit why JAL did not have the same exact format as NH here. In almost other aspects the two mileage programs follow each other pretty closely.

But yes, that is another aspect they should also tinker with.

I know.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

People claim its the operating carriers that pays for lounge access in ow, unlike the other two alliances. So those overseas freeloaders dont cost JL much.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:21 pm

Like ANA Superflyers Card, it should probably be restricted to the Japanese market, I have always wondered a bit why JAL did not have the same exact format as NH here. In almost other aspects the two mileage programs follow each other pretty closely.

But yes, that is another aspect they should also tinker with.
I don't see the need to change it to Superflyers Card if they don't want these oversea members. They just need to do it like NH, axe the foreigner rate to 30% (or 50%) and all is done.

Originally Posted by JALPak
People claim it’s the operating carriers that pays for lounge access in ow, unlike the other two alliances. So those overseas freeloaders don’t cost JL much.
Being a Sapphire or Emerald won't change your flying pattern within OW much other than the extra legs required to get the domestic flying done.

The incremental cost of operating a passenger in First or Business lounge is minimal when you factor in the revenue JAL gets with those passengers doing the domestic flying runs. Both are dead costs to an extent (flying the plane more empty or the lounge crowdness shifts from First to Sakura). I would say JAL comes out at top by having these members, but not for genuine JAL Diamond/Premier members who don't use these promos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.