Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Foreign Based Crews

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
A friend of mine is Singapore based JL cabin crew. He goes to New York a lot (personal preference) but there has been a London trip as well.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

After having many excellent flights with JAL over this year, my recent flight from MEL to NRT was just disappointing. In economy class there was an outstanding and very proactive BKK based CA, but the rest of the Japanese CA literally did the minimum. Not sure why but the BKK crew was the only one who walked around the cabin every 30 minutes offering drinks and snacks. She was also the only one cleaning the toilets. The other crews disappeared between meal service. I would have thought they would rotate for crew rest but this did not happen. She was also the only CA greeting elite passengers.

Same happened to my recent HND to SYD flight where the two Shanghai CAs were the only one serving passengers between meal service. The flight was great but the crew arrangement was just weird.

This has led to my general observation in this year that overseas based CA tend to be more proactive and motivated. I did meet good Japanese crews from time to time and have written compliments to JAL, but unfortunately also met some really bad ones (and most of them were (surprisingly) supervisor level CA in charged of economy cabin) quite frequently. I’m not talking about language issue but attitude. I think one reason could be that JAL rarely took action following passengers’ complaints. They would only send standard reply and apology to complainant without real follow up action. So many of the crews simply don’t care.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I flew on JL41 recently, I was wonder if the London crew base would be represented as it was a 77W. But no, I guess with the more sporadic use of the 77W on JL41/2, it was not very likely.

But the Bangkok crew bases was represented.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I flew on JL41 recently, I was wonder if the London crew base would be represented as it was a 77W. But no, I guess with the more sporadic use of the 77W on JL41/2, it was not very likely.

But the Bangkok crew bases was represented.
Talked to the crew on JL41 in late October. This flight would be represented by either Bangkok or Hong Kong base.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ma930407
Talked to the crew on JL41 in late October. This flight would be represented by either Bangkok or Hong Kong base.
It is the first time I have seen foreign based crews on JL41. Though I have taken it quite a bit.

On a different note, earlier this year on JL43, there was a male London crew base member as the senior cabin in charge of the flight. I forget his name now, blonde guy, he has been flying with JAL for quite a long time, and I have flown with him a number of times.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
FYI

JAL hired the first foreign based FAs in 1966 when they hired FAs in Hong Kong and opened the HKG FA base. Dec. 1984 JAL opened the GRU FA base and hired FAs in Brazil. GRU FA base was closed in Oct. 2010 when JAL terminated Brazil flights. In March 1988 JAL opened the SIN FA base and in April 1988 opened the LHR and the FRA FA base. In March 1995 JAL opened the SHA FA base (now PVG/SHA base). In April 2008 JAL inherited the TPE FA bases when JAL acquired Japan Asia Airways. JAA was a subsidiary of JAL which was formed in 1975 when Japan re-established diplomatic relations with mainland China, and JAL could no longer fly to Taipei due to political reasons. In Dec. 2010 JAL inherited the BKK FA base when JAL acquired JALways. JALways was a subsidiary of JAL formed in 1990 to operate charter flights and GUM/HNL flights for the JAL mainline. Besides chief FAs who came from JAL, FAs of JALways were hired in Thailand and worked as the BKK based.

Sept. 2019 JAL opened MNL FA base and started the FA recruitment in the Philippines, but the pandemic hit and the recruitment in the Philippines was suspended. There is no word at this moment about whether JAL will resume the MNL FA base or not. I know JAL had Korean speaking FAs way back (like in the '90s) but I could not find any information about this.

Currently, there are about 1000 foreign based FAs at JAL, and about half of them are BKK based. As I mentioned on another thread, there are forign based chief FAs at JAL.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Currently, there are about 1000 foreign based FAs at JAL, and about half of them are BKK based. As I mentioned on another thread, there are forign based chief FAs at JAL.
Wow—that’s a lot of BKK-based crew! This perhaps explains why JL BKK crew members are very well-trained in providing excellent service in Thai (presumably they must also be proficient in English and Japanese.) When encountering Thai-speaking crew on other airlines (ME3 and AY come to mind), the service provided in Thai seems improvised or at least not as “polished.” This of course makes sense given the higher service standard in general on JL regardless of language spoken. I have noticed the same high service standard for Thai cabin crew on NH.
SKT-DK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.