JAL Cabin Crew Hierarchy?

Old Apr 12, 17, 7:01 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
JAL Cabin Crew Hierarchy?

At CX, there are four cabin crew ranks that are distinguishable through their uniforms and the duties that they perform onboard.

I was wondering if it is similar at JAL I noticed that in general there are two ranks, those in blue and those in beige? Plus a senior cabin crew (inflight manager equivalent). Appreciate if there's any information around about that by JALPak or other fellow JL forum FTers
Old Apr 12, 17, 7:06 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
There's a trainee rank lol
Old Apr 12, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: ANA, JAL, AA
This Japanese page shows the career path of a JAL attendant:
http://www.job-jal.com/field/04-2.html

First working as a trainee, then working on domestic flights. Later start working on international flights, and receive training to work on international first class. Then further training to become a lead cabin attendant and chief cabin attendant. Finally a managerial position.
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:14 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Platinum, GE
Okay so they have to endure 1 year of domestic flying before they can go international, and must have at least 3 years before they can serve F...'purser' after 7 years...am I missing anything?

Just felt interested because I really enjoyed my first JL F flight and I'm already planning on when I can fly on JL again...who knows if I might end up being as obsessed with it as I am with CX!
Old Apr 12, 17, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Interestingly, the senior cabin attendant, the one leading the flight, is generally not involved in the first class service. After boarding she will usually stop by for a chat and to introduce the head of the F cabin, and then come by for a chat and a thank you at the end of the flight. But that's about it.

(I write she on purpose, I have yet to see a male senior cabin attendant on international flights)

The beige and white jackets appear in the economy cabin as well. Not quite sure what they signify.
Old Apr 12, 17, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Interestingly, the senior cabin attendant, the one leading the flight, is generally not involved in the first class service. After boarding she will usually stop by for a chat and to introduce the head of the F cabin, and then come by for a chat and a thank you at the end of the flight. But that's about it.

(I write she on purpose, I have yet to see a male senior cabin attendant on international flights)

The beige and white jackets appear in the economy cabin as well. Not quite sure what they signify.
Those are the CA in charge of Y. I have seen Japanese male lead cabin attendant on HKG and LAX routes before but they are just in charge of the cabin not the entire flight.
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Those are the CA in charge of Y. I have seen Japanese male lead cabin attendant on HKG and LAX routes before but they are just in charge of the cabin not the entire flight.
Once on a flight to Fukuoka the senior cabin attendant was male, but that is the only time I have seen that. Apart from the London crew base, the male ration for JAL crew is fairly low.

I guess white jacket outranks beige?
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:31 pm

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
Okay so they have to endure 1 year of domestic flying before they can go international, and must have at least 3 years before they can serve F...'purser' after 7 years...am I missing anything?

Just felt interested because I really enjoyed my first JL F flight and I'm already planning on when I can fly on JL again...who knows if I might end up being as obsessed with it as I am with CX!
Here's the book you should pick up:

Attached Images  
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:43 pm

I guess white jacket outranks beige?
Nope. There's a male version of the white jacket that's not shown here.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:48 pm

If you want a male senior cabin attendant, just book the annual Boys' Festival flight. They also rotate the role too. So last year's senior CA on that flight could just be a regular CA on next year's flight.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't want to be too detailed. But on my flight this week there was a Male Senior Cabin Attendant.

I talked to him and he said out of the 6000 senior CA only 5 are male and I was extremely lucky to see one of them.

He said he mostly flies to DFW, FRA, BOS, DME & South East Asia.
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:49 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There are 6000 senior CA (like...chief pursers)?! Is it because JL operates a massive number of domestic flights? How many CC are there in total?

That's quite shocking to me because there are only ~10000 CC at CX and less than 1000 ISMs I think. Perhaps undercrewing at CX is really that serious of a problem
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
There are 6000 senior CA (like...chief pursers)?! Is it because JL operates a massive number of domestic flights? How many CC are there in total?

That's quite shocking to me because there are only ~10000 CC at CX and less than 1000 ISMs I think. Perhaps undercrewing at CX is really that serious of a problem
A gues would be that after the restructuring and a reduction of staff numbers, JAL will be overstaffed in the senior positions. I would also guess that these 6000 CC members, they probably also Work in lower ranking roles on flights as well.
Old Apr 14, 17, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
In old days JAL did have male senior cabin attendant, back then called Chief Purser as ranks back then were Stewardess – Assistant Purser – Purser – Chef Purser.

Till sometime around ‘70s JAL actively hired male flight attendants. In old fashion Japanese work place segregated by gender, males were hired as a flight attendant expecting to work till the retirement (i.e. expecting to become a chief purser), where females were hired expecting they will only work for 5 years or so and quit (i.e. never achieve senior cabin attendant status).

As was the case, in old days there were only male chief pursers at JAL. The first female chief purser in JAL came about in 1981. There were no female today’s equivalent of senior cabin attendant till then.

I think JAL has stopped hiring male flight attendants back in ‘70s and all of them are retired by now. After that there have been male flight attendants at JAL but they were part of management training program, only flew about a year to gain experience in various part of the company as a management candidate.

Then the law was passed in Japan on 1986 no longer can discriminate employment by gender. Now males are supposed to have an equal opportunity to be hired as a flight attendant, but number of male flight attendants hired in Japan is very small at this moment, same situation in ANA. But looks as JAL has no problem hiring male flight attendants at foreign bases.

P.S.
I have looked around little more about male flight attendants at JAL. There are small numbers of male flight attendants who are part of management training, but those are temporary assignment of a year or so. Then there are male flight attendants hired at foreign bases.

When JAL and JAS (Japan Air Systems) merged on 2006, there were 10 plus male flight attendants hired by JAS. However, although the law has changed in 1986 prohibit gender discrimination of employment, there seems to be no record of JAL hiring a male flight attendant in Japan since 1986.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 14, 17 at 12:49 pm Reason: Found the year JAL had first female cheif pursers
Old Apr 17, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
I've only seen 1 male flight male CA who also wore the white uniform during my past flights between US and Asia for the past 1 year. Guess I must have been lucky too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: