Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Migration date: Nov 16 2017

Handling Procedure Changes: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss/dom/
  • Domestic ticket/awards will be valid for 1 year from the day after issuance date
  • Single 6 alphanumeric PNR will be used for entire itinerary instead of 4 digit PNR for each sector on domestic flights
  • No longer allows separation payments of Y and Class J/Domestic F upgrade fees
  • Credit card number will no longer be accepted as authentication method
  • Fares eligible for waitlisting will be reduced but deadline will be extended from T-48 to T-24
  • Can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic awards
  • ePoints will be refundable on awards and can specify the amount allocated on multiple passengers instead of splitting them equally
  • Some other ePoints enhancements on award tax/fee payments, JALPAK package payment will be refundable, etc

A lot more changes coming e.g. surface sector won't be included in total mileage calculation for award redemption: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/jmb/inter.html

Upcoming system outages and OLCI suspensions/changes: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/maintenance/?inbound=ar
Print Wikipost

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So now buying flexible tickets mean nothing.

I have to pay ticket change fee for the ticket itself and the telephone agent just to change dates... so one change will cost 5400yen no matter what..

This is a bad move. Now what's the point to pay extra to get JAL status? Even diamond members don't get any waivers
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:31 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by fumitani
So now buying flexible tickets mean nothing.

I have to pay ticket change fee for the ticket itself and the telephone agent just to change dates... so one change will cost 5400yen no matter what..

This is a bad move. Now what's the point to pay extra to get JAL status? Even diamond members don't get any waivers
There's a modify ticket online button. Not sure how that works though. But yea, their ticketing fee is definitely high. NH is only charging USD25 vs JL USD50. What's worse is they won't even waive it if you can't do it online like booking a Yokoso ticket.

But with a flex ticket, at least you don't have to pay for the penalty which kept increasing over the years.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Seat blocking seems to be almost gone. I can also freely pick rows in economy class that were blocked before. Like row 23ABC or 46ABC on the 777-300ER. Not good news for booking last minute and hoping the airport team can arrange a good seat.
For all my yokoso sectors in Y, they blocked the seat next to me.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashsong
For all my yokoso sectors in Y, they blocked the seat next to me.
It's not blocking seat next to you, it's just taken or blocked even without you lol
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
may just be for JMB elites. Remember there’s a change to international front cabin seat selection benefit after the migration. That’s why seat selection was the first thing I check when the system was back up and I was able to grab 5A with X fare on SS7 well I was on 5K before but just want to grab 5A for the sake of it
i tried as a regular person (not logged in) and it allowed me to pick any seat. (i looked against a flight i have booked way out next year)

Looks like last minute ticket purchases will be burned.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a modify ticket online button. Not sure how that works though. But yea, their ticketing fee is definitely high. NH is only charging USD25 vs JL USD50. What's worse is they won't even waive it if you can't do it online like booking a Yokoso ticket.

But with a flex ticket, at least you don't have to pay for the penalty which kept increasing over the years.
My ticket doesn't have that function . looks like i'm paying almost 20000yen just to change my ticket which cost 60000yen
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

i tried as a regular person (not logged in) and it allowed me to pick any seat. (i looked against a flight i have booked way out next year)

Looks like last minute ticket purchases will be burned.
Looks like a bug to me. No way they can advertise preferred seating benefit when everyone can select those seats.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes me wonder if I should push for diamond this year. I can renew diamond status just by paying a bit extra to get a higher fare.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Makes me wonder if I should push for diamond this year. I can renew diamond status just by paying a bit extra to get a higher fare.
I think you must have forgotten to logout or something. I just checked my flight and compared it with a dummy booking. I got more seat selections with my booking. Entire row 5 was blocked on the dummy booking which is booked into a higher booking class (D vs X)

Dummy Booking

My Booking

Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

@CPH-Flyer, have you checked all of your bookings? So far we've seen these problems

1. A sector missing from the reservation details page
2. Can't pull up reservations using JMB number
3. PNR just disappeared and can't be pulled up anymore
4. Seat assignment lost due to a "config change" which isn't true. The domestic flight hasn't changed the config at all.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay I checked again and barely any seats are blocked now.
Just Emergency as before and a few seats not a lot

https://ibb.co/joE1yR
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Tried changing seats on an existing premigration reservation. Just goes to System Error at the top of the page and then changes the segment to unavailable for seat selection.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ANA is like JAL's old policy only if you need to reissue for some change.

Now JAL Charges for everything you do to a ticket. What's the point in having a flexible ticket? Even Yokoso is not worth it with ticketing fee + reissue fee.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

ANA is like JAL's old policy only if you need to reissue for some change.

Now JAL Charges for everything you do to a ticket. What's the point in having a flexible ticket? Even Yokoso is not worth it with ticketing fee + reissue fee.
I asked about this the US agent checked with ticketing and came back with the answer that Yokoso can still be changed without the fee. I will see if that’s really the case when I need to change my flight because that contradicts with what it says on the website.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Okay I checked again and barely any seats are blocked now.
Just Emergency as before and a few seats not a lot

https://ibb.co/joE1yR
come on they need to block row 15 on domestic 737! That row is even better than the exit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.