FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

JALPak Dec 6, 2016 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by shawn67 (Post 27573903)
Huh?!?!...3...lap...INFANTS:eek:....who'd have funked it?? I always thought the bassinets were for show!!! #@$^$#@...<sigh>oh well, I always keep my lunesta and Cathay Pacific "F" kit with me - they have a sweet set of earplugs!;)...BTW I love these new AA 777-200's very well done. It think it is a smart compromise between comfort and revenue generation.

Still better than sitting next to this

https://www.facebook.com/jal.japan/p...type=3&theater

CPH-Flyer Dec 6, 2016 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by shawn67 (Post 27573189)
Interesting...I wasn't allowed to do OLCI so I checked in at PHX AA Counter and go assigned 15C for NRT->CKG (JAL729) approximately at T-18. I wonder if I got that seat because my check-in it was after the blocks were released by JAL so a later check-in actually benefited me.

Row 15 is on airport control. I am not sure if AA would have access to do that, or it was done by JAL systems somehow. The Blocks are not relased for OLCI at any time for this row.

shawn67 Dec 6, 2016 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 27574783)
Still better than sitting next to this

https://www.facebook.com/jal.japan/p...type=3&theater

The stuff of nightmares!!

Rukes Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Just some more input:

Flying JAL from Jakarta to NRT to LAX, all on AA (codeshare/metal), OWE.

Usually in past years, I was able to get the PNR for the JAL flight, and check in 72 hours before, assign my seat, all that. This year, nope. Even at 24 hours, checking in on the JAL website says "Sorry, it's a codeshare, can't assign seats".

What did work perfectly fine is going to my itin on the AA website, check in there, and it brings me to a codeshare JAL checkin website where I can fully check in and assign my seat. I'm assuming because it's 24 hours, but I wish I checked to see if 72 was allowed. Still got a great seat.

So tl;dr for people that come across this thread for seat selection problems:
Now you have to check in through the AA website to be brought to the special JAL checkin page. If you use the JAL PNR and check in with JA directly, it will not work.

Rover_LWB Dec 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rukes (Post 27597888)
Just some more input:

Flying JAL from Jakarta to NRT to LAX, all on AA (codeshare/metal), OWE.

Usually in past years, I was able to get the PNR for the JAL flight, and check in 72 hours before, assign my seat, all that. This year, nope. Even at 24 hours, checking in on the JAL website says "Sorry, it's a codeshare, can't assign seats".

What did work perfectly fine is going to my itin on the AA website, check in there, and it brings me to a codeshare JAL checkin website where I can fully check in and assign my seat. I'm assuming because it's 24 hours, but I wish I checked to see if 72 was allowed. Still got a great seat.

So tl;dr for people that come across this thread for seat selection problems:
Now you have to check in through the AA website to be brought to the special JAL checkin page. If you use the JAL PNR and check in with JA directly, it will not work.

Very helpful - thank you!

etouffee Jan 4, 2017 10:50 pm

I bought code share at AA outbound from SAN to NRT operated by JL. Since the flight code is AA, it is not even shown in my fight reservation at JAL site. At AA website, the segment is shown up but not allowing to choose seat. Called JAL, the agent told me, the seat can only be assigned at AA. Called AA, the agent first pushed me to JL and later told me a middle seat was assigned to me and no other seat is available. She was willing to cancel the trip even I did not ask for ! What a terrible customer service. After the call, I can not see the seat assignment in my reservation.

Could I have your opinion how to check the seat availability on that JAL flight? When and where to reserve a seat for the share code segment? I used the same itenary months ago, bought ticket from chase with jal code, no problem to get a seat 72 hours before the trip. However the shared code seems no ownership from both airlines. Thank you all.

CPH-Flyer Jan 4, 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by etouffee (Post 27707138)
I bought code share at AA outbound from SAN to NRT operated by JL. Since the flight code is AA, it is not even shown in my fight reservation at JAL site. At AA website, the segment is shown up but not allowing to choose seat. Called JAL, the agent told me, the seat can only be assigned at AA. Called AA, the agent first pushed me to JL and later told me a middle seat was assigned to me and no other seat is available. She was willing to cancel the trip even I did not ask for ! What a terrible customer service. After the call, I can not see the seat assignment in my reservation.

Could I have your opinion how to check the seat availability on that JAL flight? When and where to reserve a seat for the share code segment? I used the same itenary months ago, bought ticket from chase with jal code, no problem to get a seat 72 hours before the trip. However the shared code seems no ownership from both airlines. Thank you all.

What is your booking class? Some will not allow for advance seat reservations.

The marketing carrier is responsible for the seat assignments. So AA are the ones who should do it. That being said the AA code JL flight combo seems to lead to problems.

As you will have to start online check in via AA, it is only 24 hours before not the JAL 72. That being said, I have even had problems making that work.

etouffee Jan 5, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 27707297)
What is your booking class? Some will not allow for advance seat reservations.

The marketing carrier is responsible for the seat assignments. So AA are the ones who should do it. That being said the AA code JL flight combo seems to lead to problems.

As you will have to start online check in via AA, it is only 24 hours before not the JAL 72. That being said, I have even had problems making that work.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the class was listed as Q, might be the cheapest rank. Even the cheapest rank, the customer still has some right to select seat, right? (As United does) I just hate the fact AA assigns the worst seat (middle seat) on the plane and appears it is doing me a favor. Most likely in the future will stay away from AA.

rustykettel Jan 6, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by etouffee (Post 27710351)
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the class was listed as Q, might be the cheapest rank. Even the cheapest rank, the customer still has some right to select seat, right? (As United does) I just hate the fact AA assigns the worst seat (middle seat) on the plane and appears it is doing me a favor. Most likely in the future will stay away from AA.

I've chosen seats on a Q fare (JL flight numbers on AA ticket but not a codeshare). Call AA and ask for the JL PNR and try JL's website (note that the international sites and Japan sites offer different versions of the same PNR - try both, English is available on both).

Next trip is on an O fare and no advance seat selection on that fare class. More than willing to take a chance- I'd rather sit in a JAL middle than any on a 3-4-3 config.

rustykettel Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Flying HND-SFO-xxx with JL2 purchased as AA8401, started at AA's site (not the app!!) and check in with Japan Airlines button was present & working at T-72 at the bottom of the itinerary. However on JL's website it would fail on the Flight Details screen without the seat selection button present and the only option at the bottom of the page was Quit. Same at T-24. Ended up checking in at the airport.

Also tried manage booking/check in with JL PNR directly on both Japan and US-Continental versions of the JL website and those did not even give a check in option. Not that I expected it to, but did want to rule that out.

River in Sight Feb 2, 2017 6:03 pm

Cabin on Domestic Flight with Business Class Ticket?

I looked around and can't quite find the answer to this - sorry if I missed it.

I bought a ticket YYZ-JFK-NRT / ITM-NRT-JFK-YYZ on American (I class). The YYZ-JFK flights are on American metal, all the other flights are JL metal and AA codeshare.

I understand that for mileage tickets, the segments wholly within Japan are in coach. But for a revenue ticket, I figured I would be seated in Business class on the ITM-NRT flight. After booking, I noticed that segment said "Economy" and when I called into AA to get seat assignments, the agent confirmed it was Economy and couldn't assign a seat for that leg anyway. I was able to get seats assigned in Business with no problem. The flight is scheduled to be on a 767 that appears to have business class seating.

It's not a big deal at all for an hour flight, but I am curious - how did I end up in Economy on the intra-Japan flight?

rustykettel Feb 2, 2017 6:22 pm

What's the fare class for the ITM-NRT segment?

River in Sight Feb 2, 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 27857730)
What's the fare class for the ITM-NRT segment?

When I was booking it on the AA website it said the fare basis was I something, but on my receipt it says Booking Code : Y. The long-haul flights say Booking Code: I. I did select business class so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

rustykettel Feb 2, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight (Post 27857865)
When I was booking it on the AA website it said the fare basis was I something, but on my receipt it says Booking Code : Y. The long-haul flights say Booking Code: I. I did select business class so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Ah! I was thinking it was a mismatch between same fare code mapping to different cabins on JL and AA, but it's just AA selling a mixed cabin itinerary without making it obvious. You have to check the individual flight details on all segments to make sure they're the desired type on aa.com.

This really belongs more in the AA forum though. Perhaps someone over there can suggest options for fixing this (if it's within 24 hours of booking, maybe cancel and rebook?).

CPH-Flyer Feb 2, 2017 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by River in Sight (Post 27857676)
I looked around and can't quite find the answer to this - sorry if I missed it.

I bought a ticket YYZ-JFK-NRT / ITM-NRT-JFK-YYZ on American (I class). The YYZ-JFK flights are on American metal, all the other flights are JL metal and AA codeshare.

I understand that for mileage tickets, the segments wholly within Japan are in coach. But for a revenue ticket, I figured I would be seated in Business class on the ITM-NRT flight. After booking, I noticed that segment said "Economy" and when I called into AA to get seat assignments, the agent confirmed it was Economy and couldn't assign a seat for that leg anyway. I was able to get seats assigned in Business with no problem. The flight is scheduled to be on a 767 that appears to have business class seating.

It's not a big deal at all for an hour flight, but I am curious - how did I end up in Economy on the intra-Japan flight?

Class J on JAL domestic is not really business class per se, and as a feeder flight to an international business class flight you will be seated in economy.

If there are seats available at the day of departure, you can buy an upgrade for 1000 yen at the airport. About 9 USD. The difference is a bit more roomy seat, and one or two extra drink options. To be honest, I have never really noticed a difference in the drinks selection when flying. There is no food service on class J.