FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

N1120A Feb 2, 19 4:48 am

I'm amazed at the excuses being made for JAL having abhorrent technology. This should be easy to do.

CPH-Flyer Feb 2, 19 5:17 am


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 30730684)
I'm amazed at the excuses being made for JAL having abhorrent technology. This should be easy to do.

Try selecting seats on a JL code share on AA via American It will fail. Try doing it via JAL, no problem at all. So JAL actually has their house in order, IMHO.

Codeshare and seat selections should be really easy I agree But experience show that across carriers and across alliances it is still a problem in a lot of cases.

JALPak Feb 2, 19 6:01 am


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30730743)
Try selecting seats on a JL code share on AA via American It will fail. Try doing it via JAL, no problem at all. So JAL actually has their house in order, IMHO.

Codeshare and seat selections should be really easy I agree But experience show that across carriers and across alliances it is still a problem in a lot of cases.

This will be fixed once carrierconnect is fully rolled out. Hopefully the platform is smart enough to continue to restrict advanced seat selection availability to those codeshare passengers

N1120A Feb 2, 19 10:16 pm


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30730743)
Try selecting seats on a JL code share on AA via American It will fail. Try doing it via JAL, no problem at all. So JAL actually has their house in order, IMHO.

Codeshare and seat selections should be really easy I agree But experience show that across carriers and across alliances it is still a problem in a lot of cases.

Disagree. I can even go on Air Canada's website, with their absolutely ancient RES III still around, and use my RLOC to get seats on a 016 ticket. The idea that I can't take my JAL RLOC and access my reservation on their end is ridiculous.

smithrh Feb 21, 19 9:38 am

Just as an additional datapoint:

Called AA for seat assignment, got assignments right away - was only asked window or aisle (business class).

I asked how to change these again if I wanted to, and I was told to just call them (AA) back.

They did supply me the JAL PNR/record locator/whatever and when I put that into jal.com, it still errors out saying "can't be located."

If nothing else, being able to find my record would be a nice start - at least acknowledge I'm on these flights.

KyRoamer Mar 5, 19 3:23 pm


Originally Posted by smithrh (Post 30805540)
Just as an additional datapoint:

Called AA for seat assignment, got assignments right away - was only asked window or aisle (business class).

I asked how to change these again if I wanted to, and I was told to just call them (AA) back.

They did supply me the JAL PNR/record locator/whatever and when I put that into jal.com, it still errors out saying "can't be located."

If nothing else, being able to find my record would be a nice start - at least acknowledge I'm on these flights.

Me too. I have a JAL locator number but when I try to use it all I get is an error. Not sure why JAL issues a number but its website will not recognize it. The AA site with the AA locator number does show my flights and seats but it doesn't allow changes or show configuration. My flight from BKK to NRT is on JL708, a 788. When I put in date and flight number Seatguru shows three versions, one of which is a lay flat at an angle. Hopefully that is not mine.

Also, my connect time at NRT is exactly one hour. Hopefully that is enough time.I am flying business class. AA has a flight 1h40 minutes later but that makes for a tighter connect at LAX.

Where I am flying domestically on an AA ticket and metal my international flights are on AA tickets and JAL metal. The AA tickets are on different locator numbers because flying on one ticket would have been over $2,000 more than flying back to back on American tickets. Question -- what will it take to get JAL in BKK to check bags all the way through to home?

Now I know that I have to claim my bags at LAX and go through customs even if checked through. If checked through, all I have to do is put them back on the belt to send them home. If not checked through, what do I have to do to get the bags tagged to my domestic destination.

By the way, I will arrive from BKK at LAX either at 9:50 am or at 11:45 am. My domestic flight isn't until 2:10 pm. Is the 11:45 am safe for making my connection assuming that we are on time?

Thanks.

CPH-Flyer Mar 5, 19 5:09 pm

AA is the marketing carrier, they are the ones responsible for your seat assignments until OLCI opens. The cidesahres between JAL and AA are a bit of a drag in that department.

Jl708 is currently operated with NEO seats, so angled flat. You don't say when you fly, so I did not check if it changes in the coming months.

1 hours is fine for connection in Narita, you only need transit security.

All it takes for JL to check luggage through to another OW carrier is ask them, and bring a print of your ticket. It is a stated benefit that they do it

KyRoamer Mar 5, 19 7:15 pm


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30852431)

Jl708 is currently operated with NEO seats, so angled flat. You don't say when you fly, so I did not check if it changes in the coming months.

1 hours is fine for connection in Narita, you only need transit security.

Traveling in mid-November. We are in seats 2H and 2K. Odds are we will not want to sleep so seat type may not be that important. Still the extra pitch and width would be nice.

CPH-Flyer Mar 5, 19 7:47 pm


Originally Posted by KyRoamer (Post 30852774)
Traveling in mid-November. We are in seats 2H and 2K. Odds are we will not want to sleep so seat type may not be that important. Still the extra pitch and width would be nice.

Mid November is impossible to know at this time, check in 5 months or so. For width, the NEO seat is probably better than the Apex suite

KyRoamer Mar 7, 19 11:02 am


Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30852875)
Mid November is impossible to know at this time, check in 5 months or so. For width, the NEO seat is probably better than the Apex suite

Thanks. You're probably correct on seat comfort, at least for sitting up.

_fx Mar 7, 19 5:56 pm

An other data point for AA being able to assign seats in J. When I first called in, the AA agent said I'd have to call JAL, but then changed her mind and said she'd give it a try...and it worked. I can see the seats on AA.com and everything.

Thank god because I tried both JAL's website and calling them and neither worked (website couldn't find record locator -- JLs, not AAs -- and the phone agents never picked up).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:42 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.