FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1031016-selecting-seats-jal-when-booked-aa-codeshare.html)

aces_high Jan 15, 13 12:11 am

You can see your reservation, right?
Another words, it doesn't throw you error messages or antying?

Also, isn't there a check in option at the page. So you start the process by pointing browser to check-in page and then typing in the info.

I am pretty sure thats what i did, so it just redirected me to Jal check in page.

JALPak Jan 15, 13 12:55 am

Originally Posted by aces_high (Post 20049014)
You can see your reservation, right?
Another words, it doesn't throw you error messages or antying?

Also, isn't there a check in option at the page. So you start the process by pointing browser to check-in page and then typing in the info.

I am pretty sure thats what i did, so it just redirected me to Jal check in page.

There's no check-in option after I pulled up my reservation using the PNR.

And now it says I am already check-in!? The first flight is operated by CX and second one operated by JL. I did the OLCI for the CX flight on CX website. Let's see if it changes when it's T-24 for the JL flight. But when I clicked "View Boarding Pass", it gave me an error message...

JALPak Jan 15, 13 1:12 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 20049115)
There's no check-in option after I pulled up my reservation using the PNR.

And now it says I am already check-in!? The first flight is operated by CX and second one operated by JL. I did the OLCI for the CX flight on CX website. Let's see if it changes when it's T-24 for the JL flight. But when I clicked "View Boarding Pass", it gave me an error message...

No OLCI for JL codeshare flight either at T-24. Probably because the first flight is operated by CX and it is connecting to a JL operated codeshare.

aces_high Jan 15, 13 1:52 am

There should be an option for online check-in.
If you are getting that you already checked in, then you probably have already done so. You should see your booking on JAL site then. do you have JAL record locator?

JALPak Jan 15, 13 2:00 am

Originally Posted by aces_high (Post 20049239)
There should be an option for online check-in.
If you are getting that you already checked in, then you probably have already done so. You should see your booking on JAL site then. do you have JAL record locator?

There's NO option for online check-in on aa.com. I have no clue how come aa website says I am already checked in. All I did was enter the info before OLCI opens. Can't load up the JL operated flights on JL website either. Only first flight operated by CX is displayed.

I hope AA doesn't automatically check in the remaining legs because I plan to change the seat assignment when more seats open up later. I hope AA and JL can sort out this mess. As least on CX website, I can assign seats and check-in on the CX operated legs.

aces_high Jan 15, 13 9:53 am

try from Japanese site
http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/jp/index_en.jsp

JALPak Jan 15, 13 10:11 am

Originally Posted by aces_high (Post 20051265)

If you click check-in, you will be redirected to the US site.

A new window will show results from the AA.com U.S. website. The current page will remain open.
I am convinced that because the first flight is operated by CX, my itinerary is ineligible for online check-in. If I am only flying on JL operated codeshare, I might be able to do it.

The first flight of the itinerary for which a customer is checking in must be operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Iberia or Japan Airlines.

Granlor Jan 15, 13 1:44 pm

In October I flew AA from CDG-JFK and tried many times to use OLCI, particularly when I saw the length of the queues at CDG. However a very helpful lady then advised me that to use OLCI overseas you must have an American passport.

aces_high Jan 15, 13 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 20051389)
If you click check-in, you will be redirected to the US site.

i think i managed to get through with that, just type in your info and see what happens.

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 20051389)
I am convinced that because the first flight is operated by CX, my itinerary is ineligible for online check-in. If I am only flying on JL operated codeshare, I might be able to do it.

Maybe I've missed it, but what if you just use CX page to check-in online? would it let you do it for all flights?

JALPak Jan 15, 13 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by aces_high (Post 20054460)
i think i managed to get through with that, just type in your info and see what happens.

Maybe I've missed it, but what if you just use CX page to check-in online? would it let you do it for all flights?

Nope couldn't check in on JL flight via CX. at HKG CX couldn't check in for the connecting flight either. Need to do that at the transit desk at NRT. JAL couldn't change the seat assignment at HKG either. It's a terrible experience booking on AA

aces_high Jan 16, 13 1:51 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 20054912)
Nope couldn't check in on JL flight via CX. at HKG CX couldn't check in for the connecting flight either. Need to do that at the transit desk at NRT. JAL couldn't change the seat assignment at HKG either. It's a terrible experience booking on AA

agreed. I wasted hours of my vacation time trying to battle them so they would fulfil their obligation and make my seat resevable.

In the end they did find an error on my reservation page and corrected it. after that I was able to check in 3 days in advance.

I would recommend calling them, JAL, and CX, get RL for all flights and then try to see what can be done. Don't take their word for granted (especially AA), make sure information is same from all airlines. At first, they lied to me that I could not reserve a seat because ticket was purchased through 3rd party.

OskiBear Jan 17, 13 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18956110)
Domestic flights' seats aren't open for selection till 2-2.5 months before departure

So now that I've found the reservation online, there aren't great seat options so I've selected a middle seat.

I then went to Experflyer to set an alert for an aisle seat, should one open up. Oddly enough, Expertflyer shows plenty of open seats.

Is this a glitch or is the JAL website limited to showing certain seats? Would I have any better luck calling JAL directly and inquiring?

Thanks!

Shinikenshi Oct 23, 13 3:48 am

I assume nothing has changed and that AA Codeshares booked in N class won't allow seat selection?

I do find it vaguely funny that AA claims they can't choose seats because it's on a JAL flight and on the JAL website it says clearly that they can't allow for the choosing of seats because the flight was booked as a codeshare through a partner airline. Truthfully, I'd almost pay money for just some peace of mind.

Thankfully (maybe), I am flying out to Tokyo on the 24th of December from LAX and can only hope that with the low odds of people flying on the 24th and 25th, maybe the plane won't be too full regardless...

nightkhan Nov 3, 13 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Shinikenshi (Post 21653713)
I assume nothing has changed and that AA Codeshares booked in N class won't allow seat selection?

I do find it vaguely funny that AA claims they can't choose seats because it's on a JAL flight and on the JAL website it says clearly that they can't allow for the choosing of seats because the flight was booked as a codeshare through a partner airline. Truthfully, I'd almost pay money for just some peace of mind.

Thankfully (maybe), I am flying out to Tokyo on the 24th of December from LAX and can only hope that with the low odds of people flying on the 24th and 25th, maybe the plane won't be too full regardless...

That is correct. I had a HND-SFO flight and after reading through some previous posts about N fares on AA codeshare, I called both JAL and AA to confirm. I did have to talk to multiple people from both airlines before finally someone from AA gave me the definitive answer that you can't select seats with N ticket. First several calls it was AA saying I need to call JAL to assign me a seat so I can check in, then JAL saying only AA can assign me a seat since it's their ticket, then another AA rep saying she doesn't know why she can't pull up the seating chart.

Quite hilarious how misinformed even the reps are. Luckily during check-in at the airport they had plenty of aisle seats left.

bennyblanco Nov 5, 13 6:26 pm

Just booked 2 x F seats on JAL flight through AA and they let me choose seats when making the reservation. Not sure if that is considered a code share.